43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

The Loved One Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

January 4, 2014
Definitely not for everyone. Pitch black comedy with good acting and some trenchant observations will be loved by some and hated by many but it is certainly unique.
Christian C

November 11, 2012
A very, very funny film featuring everyone famous in 1964. Irreverent and scandalous (at least for the time). The cameo by Liberace is to die for! If you're in a retro mood and ready for a brouhaha that would knock Amy Semple McPherson on her righteous back, see "The Loved One"!
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

November 28, 2011
Evelyn Waugh's clever and at times scathing look at both the film and funeral industries.

I find the idea ammusing that the whole concept for the novel on which this film is based, sprung from Waugh's brief experience in Los Angeles while trying to get a film version of Brideshead Revisited put together, Legend has it that he was so taken aback by his experience with the film indurtry and of attending just ONE Hollywood style funeral (with all of it's trappings) that he had to write about it. Thanks goodness he did as the results are hilarious.

Written as only Evelyn Waugh can write, we are forced to step back and really take a look at the absurdities of certain people, places and social interactions. With very ammusing results.

This was my first time seeing Jonathan Winters in a (mostly) serious role and he was quite good. A young Robert Morse (of Mad Men fame) is superb as the lovable, but bumbling Englishman trying to make sense of it all. And Rod Steiger performance as Mr. Loveboy is beyond discription. There are also cameo's galore throuhout the film.

It does suffer a bit from some of the trappings of an "older" film, but for those who appreciate film and literary history...you're in for a treat.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This black comedy is really hilarious for the most part, but it has a couple of boring scenes, so I didn't rate it higher. Overall, I really enjoyed it, though.
September 1, 2007
I wish I could have been there to see this movie upon its original release in 1965 and watch how everyone reacted. This movie broke so many rules in its day, and even today one can't get over how it really holds true to its spirit of having 'something to offend everyone!' as the tagline reads. Really, nothing is sacred here, and the movie revels in its mischief as it delightedly mocks everything from funeral businesses to sexual morals to mother-love and obesity (those last two together in an absolutely jaw-dropping way). All in all a fantastic dark comedy, wonderfully shot, energetically acted (Rod Steiger is a standout), and often laugh-out-loud funny -- even as the film's outlook on society is unquestionably grim. Believe me, this movie can still shock - just wait for that coffin-orgy scene.
mcintyre157
December 24, 2009
A must see...phenominal cast... Jonathan Winters rules...just get out of his way, and watch for the Liberace cameo...among my TOP 10 Faves of All Time
joycefricken
March 10, 2008
One of those odd little 60s flicks with a cast to match. What used to be called a "black comedy", if I remember correctly. Still a strange and interesting watch, even today.
May 28, 2014
A Gem among the 60's & early 70's black comedies, with a stellar cast and cameos.

I find it interesting that the few low rating here are by people that clearly don't understand satire particularly black, does not have "punch line" jokes.

Is it perfect, no.... but far better than the undeserved 1 or 2 stars a few have given.
April 19, 2014
Very funny, fine satire with excellent performances . I never heard of this movie in real time but am glad TCM gave me an opportunity to catch it . Fifty years later it is still a lot of laughs.
January 8, 2014
I wanted this to be hilarious considering all the talent behind its creation but it was, sadly, a dead two hours with only a few laughs.
Alan H.
January 1, 2014
Baffling. Purportedly a comedy, but there isn't a laugh in it. It is almost impossible to believe the man who directed the brilliant tom Jones was at the helm of this mess. It plays like senior project of a pretentious film student. Disjointed, horribly filmed, abysmally acted. The only humor that lands at all comes in the early scenes spoofing the pretentions of the Hollywood ex-pat Brits; and even that is only amusing in comparison with the endless, dreary satire of the death industry that follows.
November 16, 2012
A hilarious view of the absurdity of the death industry and Hollywood's version of it.
September 19, 2012
The Loved One tries way too hard to be outrageous - and I suppose it was way back in 1965. But, now?... it just seems flat. I will say one thing though, it did give us cinema's creepiest, funniest and most enduring morticians - in the character of Mr. Joyboy., one of Actor Rod Steiger's most indelible roles.
February 21, 2009
Quintessential Hollywood satire of the '60s. A film that should have a cult, but doesn't.
April 20, 2012
Maybe not for everyone, but I laughed pretty consistently in this funny film.
Lovell B.
August 5, 2009
"The Loved One": A prime choice for a dedicated remake. This film should be remade on an epic scale by a filmaker with the talent [and money] to realize it's full potential (Tim Burton ?). Someone with a lot of influence in Hollywood tried to make Robert Morse into viable screen success, but the camera and the filmgoer said No! With today's digital effects, just imagine the "Whispering Glades" that could be created. In the 1960's mainstream filmakers where still dipping their toes into social waters and deciding perhasp the water's too cold. Today, anything goes. There are traces of brilliance to observe in this film but the overall result lacks polish and expertise. The actors' voices seemed to have been dubbed in post-production. The ad campaign came off as an apology. One could go on and on panning the shortcomings of what could have been a comedy masterpiece. Remake this film...remake this film the way it's potential promises!