Maldeamores (Lovesickness) (Maladies of Love) Reviews

March 17, 2008
Maldeamores (Lovesickness) was Puerto Rico's official submission to the Best Foreign Language Film Category of the 2008 Academy Awards... I got the chance to see this at the San Diego Latino Film Festival, and I was expecting a GREAT movie (which it isn't) but it's decent and entertaining, especially for the acting... Every member of the cast does a wonderful job, and i'd never seen or heard about any of them (except for Luis Guzman). The film is funny, but sometimes, it tries too hard... The beggining and end sequences are totally stupid and unnecessary.
February 28, 2008
Excellent Movie filmed in my home country and very proud of. A three-part look at the ironies of love, with stories that involve a young boy, a hostage situation, and a divorced elderly couple caught in a love triangle.
½ January 8, 2009
The most realistic depiction of Puerto Rico and its inhabitants. Everything about it is real down to the way we speak and how we treat each other. Absolutely beautiful film and by far the best Puerto Rican film ever done. Powerful performances, great story, and amazing cinematography.
½ December 26, 2009
I loved the movie so much I bought the DVD. Great story line and very entertaining. I got a great laugh. Silvia Brito's charcter (so much like my own mother) hit home. In my opinion, she made the movie.
½ June 25, 2009
Funny-ass tapestry of the joys and pains of love relationships...a lo boricua! Film is composed of several short stories, none of them related except for a common theme: el amor.
September 15, 2015
Best Puerto Rican movie for the moment, funny and entertaining as good comedies need to be
March 17, 2015
love this movie. I can't stop laughing no matter how many times I see it.
March 9, 2012
Good hearted but shrill. What we talk about when we talk about love. Love at 72 (where's the enema bag?) psychopathic love (marry me or I'll shoot myself), pre-teen love (want some gum?). Watchable for the fast pace and tropical scenery (there are even coqui frogs).
November 16, 2010
feel-good soft-toned romantic comedy
½ November 12, 2010
probably one of the greatest Puerto Rican films ever made, and one of the few that have started some sort of film renaissance/movement in my native country
October 12, 2010
Brutal!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME LATIN FILM!!!!
October 6, 2009
Simplemente perfecta. Los actores talentosos junto a la dirección asombrosa de Carlos Ruíz Ruíz y Mariem Pérez Riera y la trama original demuestra el talento escondido boricua en el arte de la cinematografía.
January 23, 2009
This is an insulting look into the lives of Puerto Ricans and depicts the lower elements of society. Benicio Del Toro has only managed to lower the public's estimation on life on the island.
January 17, 2008
[color=black]Pleasant and funny ode to love and heartbreak. Alternates three different stories in varying degrees of success. Eventually the movie becomes diluted, but the overall effect is positive.[/color]
February 20, 2006
Not a bad film. Awesome acting from Luis Guzman. He helps to make this film very special in the heart of audiences, but the film fails to deliver the emotional turmoil it promises. I'm sure this is just the beginning for the writer/director. Can't wait to see what's next.