• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

Lymelife Reviews

Market Man
Market Man

June 1, 2013
Just a typical coming of age indie flick. It's got some great acting but the film lacks focus; it jumps around between too many conflicts without really having a story. There's also has an abrupt ending making it unsatisfying. With that said, I was never bored when watching the film probably due to the strong characterization. Nothing groundbreaking, worth watching, but it follows the same formula as most indie movies.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

May 23, 2012
In a 1970s bourgeois neighborhood a naive teenager copes with his father philandering and his mercurial love interest.
I think Flixster Super Reviewer Pamela De Graff said it best: "We've seen Lymelife's somber imputation in other movies about suburban values and relationships, Lymelife's is not a pensively warm-hearted slice of life, nor merely a bleakly cynical condemnation of the American dream. It's a reasoned, dryly tongue-in-cheek indictment of yuppie hypocrisies and contradictions."
And I liked the acting -- particularly by Keiran Culkin, who has grown up into a smarmy smart ass.
Overall, I think writing more would be redundant as I found De Graff's review to be spot on and more intelligently written than I can attempt here.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 18, 2010
The American Dream Sucks

Very good Film. Great acting and superb story, I quite enjoyed it alot. Emma Roberts continues to surprise me with such great energy and suave. I highly recommended because is in fact quite lifting and a great piece of cinema.

Set in the late 70's, seen through the innocent eyes of a fifteen year old boy, SCOTT, "Lymelife" is a unique take on the dangers of the American Dream. This funny, sad, violent and sometimes tragic look at first love, family dynamics and divorce weaves an intricate tapestry of American life during a time of drastic economic and emotional change.
Cynthia S

September 5, 2010
I really thought that this movie was excellent! Maybe partly because I was a teenager in the 70s, but mostly because it was very well done. Those two Culkin boys really are very good actors. I was rather amazed at how much I liked them. Very good drama!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

November 8, 2009
CAST: Rory Culkin, Kieran Culkin, Jill Hennessy, Alec Baldwin, Emma Roberts, Timothy Hutton, Cythia Nixon

DIRECTED BY: Derik Martini

SUMMARY: Set in 1970s suburbia, this coming-of-age tale revolves around the exploits of a pair of Long Island families grappling with complex relationships, financial woes and an outbreak of Lyme disease that's "terrorizing" their community.

MY THOUGHTS: "I really liked this movie. The cast was really fantastic, acting was great. The Culkin boys, Alec Baldwin, and Timothy Hutton really stand out for me in this movie. All of the others were a great supporting cast. These two dysfunctional families end up clashing with each other in infidelity. It really gets real when Rory Culkin's character locks himself in the restroom whilst his parents are having it out. Anyone who has went through similar things in their family will really be able to connect to his character more in that moment then in any other. Theres also a part where Brenda asked her son Scott "Why you even worrying yourself with my problems with your father?" It's like parents don't understand that their worry and pain become their childrens worry and pain.
The title is 'LymeLife' and the synopsis says the town in 'terrorized' by the disease, but it really has very little to do with the film. Well besides one person having the disease and a over-protective mother freaking out about it. Besides that, its mostly centered on these two families trying to deal with where their life is at this moment. It's a really good story. It's a movie some will be able to relate too. Whether it be with the teen angst, or the parental problems. All in all a great cast, great script, good acting, and some humor. I highly recommed this movie."
puffchunk
puffchunk

December 9, 2009
Another "real life" movie that shows how much life sucks. Really the only thing in it worthwhile is Timothy Hutton. P.S. does Alec Baldwin ever play "not" an asshole?
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

April 14, 2009
"The American Dream Sucks"

A family unit begins to bow under the pressure of a failing marriage.

REVIEW
My favorite part of this movie was a scene where Alec Baldwin and his wife who is played by Jill Hennessey finally tear each other to shreds with their fifteen year old son, hiding in his little bathroom, hearing the whole thing. Remarkably it is so realistic that I found myself choked up but also laughing. I've heard the same kind of parental blow outs in my childhood and they are so painful but Martini, a novice writer-director, magically weaves agony and humor into this painfully honest sequence. And there are other sequences as well that walk the same tight rope: a sex scene where two of the characters lose their virginity, a scene where Timothy Hutton seeks revenge on Alec Baldwin in a bar, a scene where Emma Roberts confronts Rory Culkin about a certain lie he's told about her, another scene where Timothy Hutton shows his wife who is played by Cynthia Nixon exactly how he feels about her - with no words mind you. I am a huge fan of PT Anderson and, if we're lucky, we'll see more commercial films from Anderson and Martini. There's a similar style here that's difficult to put into words. Characters, situations, camera style, the bravest kind of acting you have seen since Martin Scorsese. Oh, wait, Martin Scorsese produced this film and it is no shock. If anyone knows talent it is Scorsese. After Lymelife, the torch is officially passed to Anderson and Martini. Please, give us more.
Bannan i

April 7, 2009
Two Culkins...in one movie? And the story looks a little intriguing, to say the least.

Typical scenarios played out in an atypical fashion with a cast that is fiercely brilliant. Emma and Rory were pretty amazing in here.

[review TBC]
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

August 18, 2010
In "Lymelife," Scott Bartlett(Rory Culkin) is a fifteen year old high school student living on Long Island. His father(Alec Baldwin) is a property developer with a lot riding on his latest deal. Despite this, Scott's mother(Jill Hennessy) would rather be living in Queens. Considering his bully problems, he probably concurs, but luckily for him, his older brother Jim(Kieran Culkin) is home on leave from the army. Scott's best friend Adrianna(Emma Roberts) has problems of her own, in the person of her father(Timothy Hutton) who is suffering from Lyme's disease and cannot get a job.

While "Lymelife" is certainly well-acted(it looks like Emma Roberts might just be the real deal), there is very little story to go on. And any number of attempts to explore any number of themes miss the mark but not by much, especially how suburban developments encroach on the habitats of animals.(I am reminded of seeing deer at a bus stop when visiting my brother near Denver recently.) The exact time this is set is kind of fuzzy(somewhere between 1979 and 1982), due to its conflicting set of cultural references. This could have been successfully linked to a character not remembering all of the details of his past but there is not a strong enough point of view to support this. And I live less than a mile from the Long Island Rail Road but I am sure there are some places on the island where you cannot hear the trains go by.
John B

January 13, 2012
Really? That many people dumped on this film? I thought it was quite charming and my first introduction to Emma Roberts who really hasn't lived up to this initial promise since. I think its a bad choice in script selection. Alec Baldwin is great as well.
Jackson W

May 24, 2011
Despite the original plot's presentation as something worth watching, it was extremely disappointing. The acting was too one-dimensional, like watching real-life scenarios. Plus, Emma Roberts is not the best 'bad girl'.
Nicolas K

July 27, 2010
Can be easily dismissed as "seen it before" as it covers similar territory to American Beauty or The Ice Storm. But this ordinary, dysfunctional American suburban family tale is so sharply written and well acted that it appears as good as new. Alec Baldwin is a better actor than I have given him credit for in the past and Rory Culkin could easily be true gem of the 7 siblings.
alexyluthor
alexyluthor

March 17, 2010
Do yourself a favor and skip this film and just sit down and watch the amazing Ang Lee's The Ice Storm.
kylemydude
kylemydude

December 6, 2009
Well-crafted coming of age film. Comparable to "The Wackness" and "Adventureland." Emma Roberts is gorgeous too. =D
Laurence C

November 21, 2009
The answer to the question on your mind right now : yes, Lymelife is very much the middling Suburban Angst Film its poster and trailer would have you believe, and little else. Its depiction of a two seemingly quietly troubled families nestled in a quietly troubled 70s middle-class existence has all the trappings of a Sundance-pressed indie, and not in a fairly positive way. Besides a knack for stately but glum atmospheres and typically subtle work from Baldwin and Hutton, the only revelation here is Rory Culkin as a needy and hormonally charged teenager whose only relief from all that repressed emotion comes in painful, short-lived explosions.

Nope, I am not willing to give the Martini brothers' debut film a hearty recommendation solely because it is centered around a softly devastating performance, backed by solid work from everyone else in front of the camera. There are so many familiar productions of the genre one can take before wondering if that particular hollowness has lost its impact when presented onscreen, after all. I did not expect to particularly 'enjoy' a film that covers territory this bleak, but I did wish to feel something during the occasional shades of levity and tenderness that were supposed to have an impact beneath all the alienation. Lymelife, unfortunately, kept me at arm's length for most of its running time, and that comes with a cost : a final stamp that, as usual, signals not outright failure but mediocrity.
Jason R

October 23, 2009
An oddly paced dramedy about the fact that no family despite its outward appearances is without it's troubles.

The movie stars the brothers Culkin (Rory and Kieran) as two brothers one a young High School kid, the other a recently enlisted Marine who has come back home for the holidays. Their parents played by Alec Baldwin and Jill Hennessy are fighting more than ever, and the younger brother soon realizes just how bad thier marriage really is.

Despite a really great cast, the movie falls short of being something worth talking about as it creeps ever so slowly towards the climax you are pretty much begging for the thing to end. A little more time in the edit room or in the production meetings may have gotten this movie a lot more buzz and made it better but watching these great actors work is worth the rental fee alone. Timothy Hutton give a really great performance, and so does Jill Hennessy.

This type of film isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you enjoy watching some fine acting then I recommend giving this a look.
Sarah P

October 16, 2009
It had its moments, but I don't think I would watch it again. They really under-utilized Alec Baldwin and I couldn't help but feel like Macauly Culkin should have made an appearance to join the rest of his family. Dissappointing overall...
Sunil J

May 24, 2009
I really enjoyed this indie dramedy about two families. Every performance was great. However, the Ice Storm is a favorite movie of mine and there is more than a little influence in the plot of this movie. Even so, it's worth the watch.
Wu C

September 14, 2009
Great indie flick. Reminded me of 'The Ice Storm' a little. Awesome performances by the whole cast.
Lovable M

April 7, 2009
Good film, but overall it felt pretty flat and dull.