Madea's Witness Protection Reviews

December 1, 2012
I like pretty much all of Tyler Perry's movies. Even when they get too melodramatic, they are still pretty entertaining. "Madea's Witness Protection" is his latest in a long line of movies about Madea(Perry in drag). This time Madea takes in a family from New York who are under an FBI investigation while they and receive death threats from the mob. This is a straight up over the top comedy, with zero drama like all of his other movies. While that's kind of a breathe of fresh air, the comedy falls flat a lot. The cast is pretty weak. Eugene Levy is ok, but he is just playing himself, and he's married to Denise Richards. Yeh, it don't make sense to me either. There's a lot of plot holes, and the movie only really works when Madea is on screen. Even though too much of her(or him), gets to be annoying after a while. This is probably my least favorite of the Madea movies, and hopefully if they make more they get better. Watch if your a fan, but skip otherwise.
bbcfloridabound
November 8, 2012
Not as enjoyable as some of his other films. 2 stars
Bathsheba Monk
½ November 6, 2012
Funny premise. I think Tyler Perry is quite subversive and for that I love him--sending up ponzi scheme guys, sending up hypocrisy in all shades of black and white. I don't think he's what my friends would call politically correct, so he may have to remain my guilty little pleasure.
LWOODS04
June 28, 2012
"Still making these movies... Well at least this one was a little funny. I don't understand why he doesn't put together a better script and a better cast of actors? The movie was just something to watch to pass the time. It wasn't awful nor was it one of the better comedies I have seen this year. It's the same show with different jokes and a different situation. All these movies seem to mesh into one big old mess. I've like a couple of them, but none that are worth mentioning again. Once again, a film of his I will only watch once."
October 23, 2012
A laugh-out-loud good-time from start to finish. Director, Tyler Perry strikes comic gold once again as Madea. A hilarious and wonderfully enjoyable comedy filled with fun and heart and also a great cast who all dliver great stuff. Tyler Perry is outragious as Madea. Eugene Levy is hilarious. Denise Richards is wonderful. Doris Roberts is hysterical. Another comedy classic from star-director, Tyler Perry, who has a great knack for story and characters in his films and shows that they are all havinga great time in this fun and witty film that just proves that there isnt any hiding from laughter after all.
½ July 10, 2012
Madea's Witness Protection is a heartless movie that proves Tyler Perry's career is going nowhere fast. The problem with Tyler Perry is that he seems to hate both whites and blacks, because in all of his movies he does nothing but ridicule them with stereotypes. But this new Madea film truly shows he is determined to insult both Caucasians and African-American's and leave them burning on the side of the road. I will admit that in the past I have laughed at a few Madea films because I enjoyed her violent temper, but I was too busy hating everything this film had to offer to even enjoy her violence. I mean I think when pitching this movie Tyler Perry just said "Madea is going to let white people into her house and basically torment them." That is pretty much this entire film in a nutshell. But this is a Tyler Perry film so we must put some drama in here that was not needed, and of course it the same recycled family issues that Madea has to solve using her ability to make others think correctly. The only other recognizable actor in this is Eugene Levy who I was hoping would save the film, and again they waste him on a stupid story and stupid characters. This film is not only one of the worst in the Madea series, it's one of Tyler Perry's worst films he has ever made.

The story follows Madea (Tyler Perry) who lets a family stay at her home for the witness protection program after the father George Needleman (Eugene Levy) turns out to be in a Ponzi scheme he had no idea about. His family is angry at him, especially his teenaged daughter who wants nothing to do with her step-mother (Kate Needleman). Madea and her brother Joe are going to have to learn to live with these people, because none of them have ever met someone like Madea. But when they figure out a plan to save George's career, Madea helps this family to get back on their feet.

The plot is an absolute terrible script in every way, with characters that don't matter and a story that absolutely doesn't matter. I didn't laugh one throughout the entire film, mainly because it was filled with so many clichés and bored me to tears. Tyler Perry can't write a good script, let's all face it, I mean even some of his best work in the past was amateur at best. I guess I did enjoy I Can Do Bad By Myself, but that at least had a solid point to make and had some fun and touching moments, while this film was just racist jokes and Tyler Perry just trying to get some cheap laughs. I truly believe he made this film as quick as possible, because he made Good Deeds earlier this year and I think he wanted to just make a Madea movie as quick as possible because he knows everyone hated that movie. But this film is even worse than Good Deeds, mainly because it's not funny or touching. The characters were just pawns to use racist jokes, and I know there were racist jokes in the past films, but now that we have so many white people in a Tyler Perry film it's easier to see that I was blind before. Madea has just become a big annoying stereotype, and just seeing the neighborhood where she lives makes me wonder why so many people enjoy these movies. George Needleman could've been a fun character for Eugene Levy, but of course they just fill him with boring family clichés and unfunny jokes so it was all for not. So to sum this up, the story stunk.

The cast was mainly Tyler Perry dressed as an old woman, an old man, and himself (ironically the real version of himself was the best character in the film). Tyler Perry thinks these films are still alive, but until he cuts that melodramatic crap in these films I am not even gonna try to enjoy his characters that are all just big stereotypes and that is why people love them so much, but not me. Eugene Levy is a funny actor, I loved him earlier this year in American Reunion and the rest of the series and the other things he has acted in, but he really just took this role for something to do and nothing else. I won't even mention the other cast members that I hated, but what I will say is that Kate Needleman is one of the worst actresses I have seen so far this year and needs to get out why she still has a chance.

Madea's Witness Protection has already been called one of the worst films of the year by the critics, and honestly I have agree with them. Tyler Perry has made some pretty terrible crap in the past, but this is one of those films that could be near the top of the crap. The only good thing this film had going for it was that they changed up the rhythm from previous Madea film by finally not making it about her boring extended family, so I was finally glad to see a change. But the film simply does nothing with its characters and story, and relies completely on making a large fat black woman look funny to the public. I showed pity to some Madea films in the past because they gave some good laughs, but if the future Madea movies continue like this than I will just stop watching Tyler Perry films in general. If you need a good comedy I recommend going to see recent films like Ted or Magic Mike, because this film is just one long racist zit that needs to be popped.
July 25, 2012
The film is not funny. The plot is to long. It's only a good film for Tyler Perry fans.
½ July 1, 2012
Of all the poorly written, acted, directed, or cast movies I've seen in my life, this is one of the dumbest things I've seen to date. It's the most standard story I've possibly ever seen. I mean by the book. There is nothing creative about Witness Protection and it's not even funny. I smiled exactly 4 times and chuckled once. Believe me, it's so boring and... lame... and redundant and... unoriginal... that you'll have time to do the same thing.

Tyler Perry is at a complete loss for words when he tries to ad lib. I think any other director would make him follow the script if he acted this poorly for them. How he got producers to fund more than one movie of his, I'll never know. Eugene Levy is so much more better than Perry in Witness Protection, and he's on auto pilot through this heap just for the check.

Perry is also hateful. I think he's of the mindset that just saying mean things is funny. It wasn't. Perry failed so miserably that he even acted as another person to be as hateful and unfunny as possible. The theater was almost half full and there wasn't much laughing going on. The same people laughed at the same stupid jokes over and over.

I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie, and this is it for me. I wouldn't tell anyone they needed to see Witness Protection for any reason. It's high on my list of most pointless movies ever made.
January 10, 2014
As funny as Madea's character can be from time to time, the movie itself is just supremely dumb with horridly lame jokes from the rest of the cast. Nutty Professor, Big Momma do this sort of cross dressing comedic genre much better than these Madea movies ever could.
½ October 21, 2013
It's a Madea movie, so it's pretty funny. I haven't seen many of these. The last one seamed like it had a pretty great real story that was serious and touching. This... didn't. But it was funny. A bunch of white people live with Madea for a week.
January 6, 2013
This sequel to the classic comedy movie Madea goes to jail is filled with hilarious jokes and heart felt lessons the whole family will enjoy . In my opinion the movie may not be for everyone but it was for me even if i'm not always into these kind of movie's. I rate it a 3 out of 5 not comparing it to other genre's .
September 13, 2013
Like most of its stable mates, Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection was not made to make a clean sweep of the Academy Awards. Once you accept that, you can move on and quite possibly have a good time watching the movie. Comedically, this film tackles the unstable economy and corporate fraud, race relations and stereotypes, destiny versus chance, imperfect self-perception, the generation gap, loss and redemption, and what it means to be family. If you're willing to take a risk, Madea's Witness Protection's variety format almost surely has something for you to enjoy as you relax and give it a try. Frankly, the Madea character hasn't won me over quite yet, but somehow and in some ways, this film just works.
April 9, 2013
LOVED this movie, she/he totally cracks me up.....don't think I'll be that interested in the ones that are plays tho...:(
November 26, 2012
Not the best Madea movie I've seen, but it was pretty funny. I actually exspected more tention between Madea and the family, but there really weren't that many jokes about race, surprising. It was quasi predictable, but then again movies tend to be that way. If you like Madea it's worth the watch, but I can think of others that would be best to watch first.
October 29, 2012
Tyler Perry is big on stressing themes of forgiveness and understanding, which is good because you'll need a little of both to get through this one. I found myself with a good portion of both, so I was able to find a laugh or two, but for every hit there are three misses. A movie like this would be horrible at the game Battleship.
October 24, 2012
I love most of his movies but this was not that funny. Eugene Levy was funny & in some parts Madea but Romeo's acting was just awful.
½ July 19, 2012
I fell asleep thirty minutes in, so I can't really say if it was good or not. However, for all you youngsters please go to YouTube and search: Eugene Levy SCTV. "Mick Mason: Police Photographer"
July 16, 2012
Like all Tyler movies, I laughed and loved this one just as much as the others. It was hilarious and cant wait to watch again soon with parents:) Or at least the dvd!!! So I gave this a 4 star rating:)
½ July 13, 2012
Wow this is like the worst Tyler has done. He went from being funny to silly and SILLY DON'T WORK. If you can last until the end, the credits have the best laughs out of the whole movie
July 10, 2012
i love the movie but when u sit rite in front of a lil kidz it's hard not to stand up say don't make me use my pg-13 word