Mafioso - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mafioso Reviews

flixsterman
April 15, 2009
Antonio Badalamenti; factory supervisor, loving husband, devoted father, reluctant hit-man.
September 5, 2010
It is surprising and strange to us how the mafia works in Italy, which is shown in this movie, but this movie is exciting and very funny. I enjoyed it.
½ October 12, 2008
darkly funny. great role for alberto sordi. bravo!
Harlequin68
March 12, 2009
[font=Century Gothic]In "Mafioso," Antonio Badalamenti(Alberto Sordi) is an efficiency expert about to take his blonde wife Marta(Norma Bengell) and two children to visit his family in Sicily for the first time. But before he can make his escape, his boss Dr. Zanchi(Armando Tine) asks him to deliver a small package to Don Vincenzo(Ugo Attanasio) when he sees him.(While Zanchi is originally from America, his parents are also from Siciliy.) Antonio happily agrees as he rushes home to catch a train that will get them to Sicily by the following morning.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]While not quite the comedy I was expecting, there is still much to recommend in "Mafioso." Don't get me wrong. There are certainly comedic elements but they are subtly downplayed as the movie barely avoids several stereotypes at once while utilizing a parallel storyline to its best advantage. What is accentuated are the cultural differences between the traditional, laid back Sicily versus the more modern, fast-paced Milan.(I don't have the ear for it but I am sure the dialects are quite different also.) It does not take Antonio long to get used to the slower rhythms of his old hometown but he is shocked by the darkness that infuses the last half hour of the movie. Throughout, he is reminded that most of his old friends are dead, in jail or perpetually unemployed, his university education allowing him to escape this fate. But there are worse things than hanging out at the beach all day.[/font]
jimbotender
September 30, 2008
The times and ironies of a person's boring felicity.What a paradox.Antonio ought to have shown some gratitude being in a position of taking charge for once as action comes up to his doorstep.Brilliant portrayal of the Sicelian carefree living and hurdles in between with a slightly avoidable manner.The case is Mafioso arguably displays the consequences of trust and devotion to something,family in the movie as the chain of ever-after strength.Sordi's performance is the real Oscar-winner.
½ February 26, 2014
I personally found the screenplay jerky, awkward, cacophonous, but interest is held, and the heartfelt ending is worth the wait.
½ January 27, 2013
The film ripens in an unanticipated way, nimbly shifting from near farce to something quite a bit darker.
½ March 10, 2011
Mafioso (1962)

This is sort of a dark comedy produced by Dino De Laurentis and directed by Alberto Lattuada. That is slowly being re-released here in the States.

Antonio "Nino" Badalamenti (Alberto Sordi, the Italian Peter Sellers) works in a Milan steel fabricating plant, stamping out Fiats and scooters, and is happily married to his northern Italian wife, Marta (Norma Bengell) and they have two precocious blonde daughters.

Nino is a conscientious worker and takes his bonus in vacation time and takes the family back to his hometown of Catanao in Sicily and meet his family. One of the executives asks him to deliver a present to one of the local Dons, Don Vincenzo (Ugo Attanaslo) and Nino is happy to do so.

The movie sort of pokes fun of Sicilians and the "Old World" stereotypes, but at the same time Nino enjoys his return and is highly respectful of the old ways and the people. Nino was just a messenger boy for the Mafia, but the Dons remember him as being an excellent shot and have some plans for him.
August 13, 2010
A Northern-ized factory supervisor returns to his Sicilian home... and finds himself indebted to the local mob. I can't think of anything bad to say about this movie, everything about it was done well enough. But I just didn't get into it that much. The main character didn't resonate with me, neither did the comedy. I enjoyed some of the smaller moments of Sicilian life, and the noir-ish climax was somewhat compelling. Most of it just kind of washed over me, though. Not bad, just unremarkable.
½ June 22, 2010
Mafioso is one good film, that blends dark comedy and mobster action. It's moreso a mobster flick than comedy though. But it's very "meet the parents" and bouncy to start things off, then slowly but surely turns into a wild mob ride and test of morale. Antonio becomes stuck at a crossroad at that point, do as he's told and go home like nothing happened yet have to live with the pain on his conscience for the rest of his life, or be killed. It's very sly in style, and became quite a pleasant surprise if I do say so myself. The direction, lighting, and camerawork are all magnificent. It's a nice change of pace, don't pass it up if you have the chance to see it.
March 25, 2010
Great film! Truly a inspiration to Francis Ford Coppola and his "Godfather" film. There were many similarities. However, this had a lighthearted edge. A must see.
October 12, 2009
MAFIOSO is an unusual film, deft enough to handle both comedy and tragedy. It is a film rich in irony, centrally exploring the depths between what appears and what actually is. At the film's beginning, one perceives the Sicilians as innocently backwards. By the film's end, one has truly seen their dark side.
October 2, 2008
A very interesting film about the dichotomy between the bustling Northern Italy and the more leisurely, casual, yet seedier Southern Italy. Oddly humorous and endearing at the same time.
July 30, 2008
Is it a comedy, maybe but I didn't find it that funny. Is it a drama, sort of, but the attempts at a more lighthearted beginning don't leave enough time to really explore the events of the end. Ultimately I found Mafioso interesting because of how hard it is to classify but a little unsatisfied with how it all played out.
½ April 14, 2008
The restoration of Lattuada's 1962 genre mashup offered one of 2007's greatest re-discoveries. I expected broad farce-- ala The Big Deal on Madonna Street or a Germi film, but "Mafioso" takes a more surprising path. What is initially a surprisingly lyrical culture clash comedy slowly shifts into more sinister territory. Lattuada's portrayal of then-modern Sicily is neither a condemnation or an outright celebration of the culture. Yes, some of the characters are based around caricature (probably more so now since mob culture has oversaturated the media), but he never veers into Fellini-esque spectacle for spectacle's sake. Maybe Sordi is to thank. He brings a wide-eyed charm to the role. At times it recalls his previous work in "I Vitelloni", etc., but he's clearly grown comfortable with his deserved star status.

There's more to this movie than I expected. Even if you're the type to shy away from Italian comedies from this period (no doubt because you're turned off by all of the yelling and blah blah blahing), it's worth a look now that the DVD is easily available.
½ April 6, 2008
I really was expecting more of a slapstick comedy rather than a cultural difference type of comedy where you may not get it unless you know of Italian stereotypes. The "jokes" aren't hard to get (ie, the Sicilian girl with too much facial hair), but to bill this as a comedy was misleading to me. The character development of Nino Badalamenti is great as it culminates to his "favor" for the Mafia. Terrific music and camera work.
½ February 12, 2008
As many other Italian films of the time, this movie is based on the comic stereotype of Southern Italians and primarily Sicilian. Girls with mustachios, passionate lover, very touchy honor, backward values and ideas, catholic faith. Amongst these stereotypes, there is Sicilians' tendency to solve issues violently. It is interesting to realize that at the time the mafia was more a matter of laughter than anything else. More of a surviving and barbaric tradition that would disappear with the rise of progress and modernity. The film itself is only moderately funny and lacks some structure. But I'm still delighted by the scene when Alberto Sordi is put in a box, flied to NYC, kills a guy and is back in the box.
January 6, 2016
The great thing about Italian cinema is it often paints an honest picture of Italy and not the romantic bourgeoisie image seen in Hollywood movies and pizza adverts. Mafioso is no exception although it is a film more about Sicily than Italy. If you weren't aware of the difference this film will explain it to you. Mafioso cleverly combines humour with the typically dark elements of the crime genre. But don't expect any clichés about the mafia, Sicily and godfathers here. Although you will see the hallmarks of family and food the film explores the themes of responsibility. The responsibility we have to our masters and to our family. And just when you think you know and understand the world of this film it enters a very different but all too familiar world, as if seeing it ourselves for the very first time.
½ July 25, 2014
Gently suspenseful throughout, with some amusing dialogue when the family arrive in Sicily from Milan. Never boring, but behind all the hospitality and frivolous compliments, the underlying story is not a pleasant nor enjoyable one. I found the surprise ending a little underwhelming too. 7.5/10
½ February 26, 2014