—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane Reviews

Josh L

January 24, 2011
If you like your movies slow, boring, and dumb than this "horror" film is for you. Most of it is underage teenagers drinking lots of booze, smoking weed, taking pills, and having sex with one another until someone gets killed. I know this formula all too well. It can be a guilty pleasure at times if done well, but here it is not even remotely done well. The acting is awful, the dialog is laughable at times, and every character central to the plot lacks any motivation at all. Some people have called this a thinker's slasher. I have no idea how they thought that. The movie does look good though. It has a great vintage horror movie look to it. Amber Heard is clearly the central piece and males will fawn over her, but it isn't nearly enough to sit through this. After 30 minutes I wanted it to end. Jonathon Levine has directed some good movies, but I don't know what he was thinking here.
Edward B

October 18, 2013
Before he conquered Hollywood with great films like 50/50 and Warm Bodies, director Jonathan Levine made a little horror movie called All the Boys Love Mandy Lane. It premiered in Toronto back in 2006, got picked up by a distributor, then sat on the shelf for seven years and is now finally getting a release.
There's been a fare bit of hype being built from those fans who did see it way back when. Now that I've seen it, I'm not so sure where the hype is coming from.
One thing I did admire about the film is the premise. Mandy Lane, who just one year ago was an average nobody, suddenly blossomed into the hottest girl at school. She's still a shy, quiet, "virgin-like" girl, but now all the boys want to get with her, persuading the "in" crowd to invite Mandy to come with them to a quiet cabin for a weekend of partying. The story definitely touches upon how superficial teenage relationships can be, and on the pressure teenage girls feel to look beautiful from both boys and their fellow female acquaintances. But the film doesn't explore this theme with much depth. The script is too shallow to extract any meaning.
Soon enough the teens are dispatched one by one at the hands of a serial killer. The violence is gory, but the execution is predictable and lacking any suspense. I never felt engaged towards any of the characters, and couldn't care less about the outcome, which by the way makes no sense in comparison to the rest of the narrative. As a slasher film, All the Boys Love Mandy Lane lacks scares and tension. As a critique on teenage life, it's a missed opportunity.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

October 7, 2013
three stars...
Lady D

August 28, 2007
My predicted rating: 2.5

This ticks a lot of the usual boxes for a typical teen Slasher, regardless it was one that flowed and was easy watching, predictable, but enjoyable in a guilty pleasure kind of way.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

September 20, 2011
"Everyone is dying to be with her. Someone is killing for it."

A group of high-schoolers invite Mandy Lane, a good girl who became quite hot over the summer, to a weekend party on a secluded ranch. While the festivities rage on, the number of revelers begins to drop quite mysteriously.

REVIEW
Mandy Lane is a girl that, like the title suggests, all the boys at her school want to "get with." She has blossomed over the summer from Plain Jane to the hottest, most desired girl in school. After her and her geeky male friend get invited to a party, a freak accident occurs where the host of the party dies while trying to impress Mandy. Flash forward to the following year. Mandy gets invited to a party at a secluded ranch by a bunch of the popular kids. Partying and drinking ensues, and of course, the boys each try in their own way to get with Mandy, who seems uninterested in the whole situation. Needless to say, it doesn't take long before a mysterious killer shows up on the ranch and begins brutally killing off the teens one by one. The film does utilize the now clichéd "Scream" type ending, but with a minor twist that is still somewhat predictable.

Where "All the Boys Love Mandy Lane" advances the genre is in style. Whereas slasher films of the past rarely focused on production, cinematography, setting, etc.., the filmmakers behind "Mandy Lane" put a lot of effort into making the film look great. The cinematography is wonderful, and the isolated ranch location is used to full effect. It is definitely the right direction for this type of film, particularly if horror fans want people to start taking these films seriously as pieces of art.

It is sad that, as of even today, this film has not had a U.S. release either theatrically or DVD. Had it been released in theaters, I think it could have revived the slasher genre, which once again has become tired and clichéd ridden, much like "Scream" did in the mid 90's. Horror fans and fans of quality film making should check this film out--not only is it an above average slasher film with interesting characters, brutal deaths, and plot twists, but it is also a wonderful piece of film making with exceptional art direction, cinematography, and direction.
Nicki M

October 18, 2008
Above average horror with no name cast (not that I had ever heard of anyhow). Started off a little lame, and I was totally disgusted when the killer was revealed half way through, (I mean, what was the point of watching the rest?!), but it had a nice little twist I really didn't see coming and redeemed itself.
I am actually surprised it is rating so low on here. I mean, if you don't like teen horror flicks, you are not going to like this either, but for it's genre, it is not bad at all and though you have your usual crass teens getting polished off one by one, they are actually not entirely unlikeable and generic as in most. The girl characters in particular I was actually sorry to see killed - usually in these you just think, get on with it, she's awful, LOL. The boys a little less so, but you can't have everything in a b grade horror movie.
thefog1331
thefog1331

November 22, 2009
A well made though rather routine offering that fits nicely between teen slasher and thriller. There's nothing really new here by way of plot or presentation but the film works anyway mainly due to a solid performance from Heard and Welch and director Levine takes worn horror cliches and puts a slight, interesting spin on them.
All in all not great but well worth a look for those searching for a new-gen slasher. Fair warning: there is an appropritae level of violence in this BUT understand this is not a gorefest.
My main problem is something Lurple has already said best, "...the ending of this movie could really have used a little more background explanation." And he's right because there just wasn't enough there to justify what has transpired for the last hour or so. Oh well, at least it doesn't ruin the film so that's always a good thing.
Lewis C

August 15, 2009
Mandy Lane was a very pleasant surprise. The soundtrack was killer, and it really added to the atmosphere and overall coolness of the movie. Some of the camera angles and shooting techniques also made this a good bit more stylish than the average slasher flick.

The cast is pretty typical for this kind of thing, as are their deaths. But there were a couple wrinkled in the plot that, while maybe not completely unexpected, at least kept the movie interesting for me. All the Boys Love Mandy Lane is one of the best slasher films that I've seen in a while. It's not perfect (and not a horror movie), but it's worth giving a chance.
deano
deano

January 3, 2008
Great title. Like an evil playground chant. This teen horror-thriller flick is alike The O.C. meets Friday the 13th. Amber Heard's nice gal is boring rather than loveable, and her friends are assholes. There's little suspense, with the killer revealed early, although this pays off in an effective if unmotivated finale.
_kelly .

April 26, 2009
One of those movies where I feel the best bit of praise I can give is, "Well congrats, you made a movie that isn't altogether terrible."

SPOILERS (for dumb people) AHEAD
Another flick in the long line of recent releases looking to add their own commentary to the larger pantheon of slasher films. This one's very obvious and predictable contribution is "the survivor girl is in on the killing scheme".

Too often using the overexposed technique, obviously a DP who has never done a water shoot before, and film-makers who think slow-time is not an annoying cinematic device that gives away jumpscares. Unfortunately, though so flawed, this is one of the better filmed slashers out at the moment.

I have no empathy for any of the characters and therefore do not care when they are killed. They are all self-absorbed privileged douchebags who epitomize all that can be wrong with the teenage populace, and it seems that the black character's douchebaggery is toned down a good deal so as to be PC. Only Mandy Lane and her odd former best friend are empathetic, which perhaps may be the true point of the film - realistic and developed teen characters hacking away at the cardboard cliche scream teens.

Some nice kills, especially the eye slashing and the rifle end through the throat. Not any real suspense or tension however.

I'd say skip, but if you are hellbent on a teen slasher, this might do you good to see something with more of an attempt at a Natural Born Killers/Bonnie and Clyde/Mysterious Skin spin than say a dull franchise addon like later installments of Friday the 13th or Halloween.
Dean !

December 24, 2007
I'm really surprised at a lot of the average reviews for this. Maybe the hardcore horror fans were expecting a lot more gore, higher death toll, or maybe it's because this doesn't even feel like a true horror film. However I really enjoyed it and felt it was quite original with a great ending. It does remind me of another film with a similar ending but can't remember it right now. This is a very good film, well shot, with a good cast and a rememberable ending!
Jani H

September 14, 2008
Starts as a typical teen film with horny guys and willing women. Except Mandy Lane, of course. She's portrayed as a pure, fine young woman.

Midways it continues as a stalker/slasher movie that brings nothing new to the genre. There's not that much gore for example which was a major let down.

The acting is not that good at all. Just your typical amateur teenage actors. The cinematography is good, with a grainy picture that fits fine to the film.

"All the boys love Mandy Lane" is a pretty boring film. The thing that this movie will be remembered of, is its ending. Thumbs up for that.
Brian D

August 4, 2008
Nicely shot indie slasher flick with desent acting and some bloody killings.Under the skin it is just a slasher movie that we have seen 100 times before.And the twist at the end was very predictabe.
Not the best movie around but you could do much worst.
Luke B

July 8, 2008
This can deffinitely be considered as a usual stalk and slash film. However it raises its game in just about every domain. Beautiful cinematography, above average acting, a bombastically bad ass soundtrack and complex emotional subtexts of teenage sexuality. Also the ending is simply superb. Yes there is a lot we've seen here before but even in its predictability it can still surprise with some original gory moments which actually have an impact on the viewer. The editing is also a bit too much, perhaps trying to show too much artistic talent in one film. Certainly one to watch.
Roy G

June 22, 2008
More of a dramatic freak-out than your standard teen slasher horror. Although the effect is exactly the same.
Gimly M

November 25, 2013
Oh Mandy Lane, you so crazy! It starts out so unbelievably fucking strong and ends on a very interesting note, shame you're saggin' so much there in the middle Mandy.

Though no part of this film was really that original (Take the cast of Neighbours, drop them in the outback of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre then have them knocked off one by one a la Friday the 13th [2009]) I went pretty crazy when I saw them out of yellow plastic cups. No, your eyes be not deceived my fellow horror aficionados, yellow. No red, that shit is aaallllllll yellow baby. Ahem... Also they play "Kings" and actually know how to take DXM, so that was cool.

Emmet (above right) played by Michael Welch (The X-Files, Day of the Dead [2008], Bones) as the antagonist owns the screen far more than the titular Mandy Lane (above left) portrayed by Amber Heard (Pineapple Express, Zombieland, The Stepfather [2009], And Soon the Darkness, Drive Angry, The Ward).

Along with what movie it's trying to rip off, All The Boys Love Mandy Lane also has trouble trying to decide where it sits genre-wise. There's plenty of awkward romances, complete with typical best-friend-in-love-with-pretty-girl-who-ignores-his-affections-but-strings-him-along-everywhere-and-is-really-nice-to-him relationship. All sorts of emotional teen drama bullshit. It's all mystery-like when people start dying, who-dunnit style, but only a third of the way into the film you find out it actually is Emmet, who you already know has the motive from the word go, so I don't think I'm ruining anything by telling you that. Then they drop the mystery and kill everyone off slasher style, but then the end is all suspenseful, and he psychology of it makes it a tad thriller-y. Often genre blending is pretty cool. Here it is just awkward.

There's not a whole else lot to say about All The Boys Love Mandy Lane. It's an ever-so-slightly above average "pretty teens die in low budget first time young male horror director's go at the film industry that was gonna get a theatrical release but ended up straight to DVD". Like the million others out there, but just a fraction more clever (and possibly a fraction less entertaining).

47%

-Gimly
Daniel P

May 16, 2009
Jonathan Levine has done something really spectacular here, making a fascinating hybrid of art and slasher film. Turning some clichés on their heads whilst leaving in others, this wears its slasher badge with pride and without irony. I can totally see why many people don't rate this, as the characters are (mostly) from stock and many of the scares are cheap. But so much here feels fresh and original. The stunning photography is a major coup and there's some fascinating plays with shutter speeds and experimentation with freeze frames and deliberately blurred shots which you'll either adore or find pretentious. Mandy Lane herself is an enigmatic and, appropriately, magnetic character, played with understatement by Amber Heard. The admittedly bonkers twists work precisely because of the way that motivations are kept deceptively shallow (yes, I do mean that). The stylised way the film is shot, mostly period music and lack of pop-culture references give the feature a 70's feel (despite a bizarre remark about the Gulf War) which works very well, and there's an interesting sexuality subtext that raises it further ahead of the likes of Friday the 13th and their ilk. Recommended.
William G

November 27, 2007
Decent, if unexceptional, throwback to '70s and '80s slashers.
Sylvester K

October 10, 2013
Fairly predictable following similar storyline of Prom Night and I Know What You Did Last Summer with added Jennifer's body element. It had annoying teenagers like the rest of the slasher films, bitches and pricks. Even though the killer was easy to guess, he did use some inventive ways to kill people. The whole was a satire of the popular culture and teenage hormone I guess.