97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Margaret Cho: Assassin Reviews

Sunil J

November 25, 2009
Not her best but clever and better than an average stand-up
July 9, 2008
I don?t find Margaret Cho funny. She doesn?t make me laugh or giggle or even smile or smirk, but she?s interesting to listen to because she is opinionated on social events and public figures. I know most comedians comment on this stuff, but there?s something different about her. She?s smarter or something, more informed. Other comedians make fun of public figures for obvious reasons?she has a different spin on it. Or something.
January 3, 2006
What was with the ghetto talk in every other joke? This is definitely not one of her best DVD's... I was disappointed.
May 15, 2006
She looked pale and sick on stage, she carried her impressions on too long, and she paused after every "philosophical" sentence to allow her gay fanclub to applaud her pro-life/pro-gay/feminist/politically biased opinions.
Pookie Burgess
July 6, 2009
This is my least favorite Cho stand-up to date. For one, her monologue used to rely on yelling at the Hollywood mucky mucks for trying to make her conform to an unattainable aesthetic standard. Now that she's actually skinny, those humorous vignettes have been excised from her repertoire. It's too bad, because some of that material is hilarious. Also, she spends too much time railing against the Bush administration. These jokes are way too easy, and therefore not as funny as her usual stuff. Lastly, she's using a different on-stage voice now, like she's channeling a black cross-dresser when she speaks. What's up with that? Still, she can be irreverent and raunchy when the time calls for it, and that material still makes me laugh.
Eric G.
December 21, 2008
haters get lost: Margaret Cho is the greatest!!
seanofthebread
January 25, 2008
Mrs. Cho lacks any sense of timing, humor, or wit. Judging from the dvd she considers her 'fish face' the height of comedy. The jokes aren't funny, the chip on her shoulder prevents her from developing rapport with the audience and any comic who would spend the first chapter in self-worship is not worth watching. Give this a miss.
kryzak
April 29, 2007
I'm kinda saddended to see the "slide" continue for Margaret Cho's shows. I watched her live for the first time with "Notorious C.H.O." and laughed my bum off. "I'm the One that I Want" was very funny too, but "Revolution" and "Assassin" just wasn't that good. I hope she can turn it around for the next tour, as she is one of the very talented comedians out there that gives a rat's ass about minority rights and injustice.
lorenamarzansf
May 24, 2006
more, more, more, I did see this one at Davies Symphony
Velvet Cyberpunk
November 18, 2005
So I watched Assassin last night, and the first thing that struck me is that Margaret Cho has lost a lot of weight! The second thing is that she is incredibly HOT! I mean, I always thought she was a total cutie, but day-um! She's drool inducing! So anyway...the movie Assassin was hilarious, and she was as funny as ever. I love her because she's prfane and opinionated. That's awesome. She's also a bisexual fag-hag, so I can relate. If you get the chance to see Assassin do it, and even if you don't, get your ass out and rent it! The only odd thing about it is the fact that she has this strange black ghetto girl accent for her gay accent....I think it has to do with her Asian background. But that is so minor it is really only an interesting side note, nothing more.

I'll bet you're wondering what this has to do with MySpace, huh? Well, I finally decided to start using it, so I will have three blogs now, and I will be cross posting what I write here for the most part to my LiveJournal and MySpace, yay... Anyway, I had one friend at MySpace, and was looking around looking at Margaret Cho's web site and saw that she has a blog and that she also cross posts her blog to MySpace, so I took a chance and sent her a friend request, and she accepted it. So now at MySpace I have two friends, the guy who runs the place, who friends everyone, and Margaret Cho. Life is so odd sometimes.
thirdman
November 17, 2005
[font=Courier New]I have always been an admirer of Margaret Cho. And it isn?t just the fact that she is an Asian-American like myself. She is a talented, and very funny woman. She is lewd and rude, but that is what gives Cho her charm. I know she isn?t a comedian for everyone, but for me she works.
[i]
Assassin[/i] might not be her best effort, but it still manages to pull of some serious laughs. Cho has an uncanny way of breaking through different topics such as homosexuality, politics, racism and religion. And she never really comes off as just some mindless person saying vulgar things to get some fame.

She is smart first and foremost. But not so smart, that her humor is on a level that only a select few will understand. But surely there will be some who will tell you that her humor is just rambling. That she isn?t funny, and is someone just using these topics to further her career.

I guess that will be her curse, like most comedians taking a chance and talking about touchy topics. Don?t get me wrong, I enjoy all sorts of comedy. Not all of the stand-up shows I have to watch have to motivate me. Just entertain me.

But Cho has the ability to entertain, and motivate me. In these strange times we live in, it is great to see someone who is willing, and risky enough, to take on both sides. Though she is more liberal than anything else, and that might be a problem for diehard Right-wingers, [i]Margaret Cho?s Assassin[/i] is a welcomed entry in her amazing career.

Oh yeah, her quick joke about Ann Coulter was my personal favorite moment of the entire show. Not the funniest, but man do I hate that woman. [/font]