Marius - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marius Reviews

December 9, 2012
This was one of the early sound films. "Marius" us the 1st of the trilogy. I have seen the later English language version, which was in color and combined all into one fim- it's titled just "Fanny", stars Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier and Charles Boyer. It is entertaining but "Hollywood-ized", less realistic and lighter in tone and I think lacks the poignance and charm of this earlier version, which is seriously dramatic at times and more lighthearted at other times.
April 23, 2016
Lately since delving into some rich & absorbing French Cinema I have stumbled across an amazing trilogy centered around a difficult relationship set on a port in Marseilles.

I think it's one of the most truthful & realistic romantic relationships I have seen put to celluloid. The story is so simple Bar Keep's son (Marius) torn between life on the sea & life with his first love Fanny a local girl.

The first film focuses on their love & struggles & showcases such truth & realism...you just believe in the characters. I was so surprised how quickly I was whisked away into this Marseilles world, a terrific & wonderful film.
July 1, 2015
I guess you gotta be French in order to really appreciate it's charms. I found it pretty dull.
May 10, 2014
Stunning! I can watch it over and over again, and I still cry every time.
December 9, 2012
September 22, 2012
I've only seen this three times. Not enough!
½ January 29, 2010
Il se peut que tu aimes la marine française, mais la marine française te dit m**de!
½ July 7, 2009
An utterly charming tale of a young man battling between wanderlust and a love for his childhood sweetheart; said sweetheart's internal battle about how to best express her love (make him stay or let him go); and his father's struggle to see him as a grown man. The atmosphere of this film is magical and lovely and, best of all, not mawkish. Part 1 of a trilogy--bring on the next one.
March 19, 2008
Wonderful. Can't watch the other two in the trilogy.
October 14, 2008
A pretty cliche tale, all told, but as a Francophile I couldn't help but enjoy it. Korda and Pagnol do a wonderful job conjuring up a romantic, provincial atmosphere for their Marseilles. Raimu is fantastic as well. (The leading man and lady, less so.) Looking forward to the other two in this trilogy.
½ September 6, 2008
The story and the lover lines between this bartender and his beloved fishvendor could sound lame and tired.
But there are the colorful lines, the irascible characters, the inimitable taste & ambiance of the Vieux Port, the smell of the colonial Marseilles that make it an instant, timeless and such emotional Provencal classic.
June 17, 2008
Bon film français comme on n'en fait plus.
May 21, 2008
please check this trilogy up, beautiful in all possible ways ...
April 20, 2008
An older movie, but rich with culture, a complex father / son relationship, and sacrifices made for true love. I liked it.
March 12, 2008
Génial ! C'est plein de soleil, de poésie, de burlesque de sensibilité... un chef-d'oeuvre
½ November 16, 2007
First in the trilogy that follows the lives of a bar owner, his son and those that make up their lives in Marseille. This is Marseille at a time when the port was so busy that sardines could have blocked the port ....... You really do laugh and cry with the characters.
November 16, 2007
I love "le midi" and in this movie (and its companions Fanny and Cesar) I can smell it, hear it, taste it. Raimu is the best.
½ November 12, 2007
Raimu, marcel Pagnol: de l'art tout simplement