93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Marmaduke Reviews

Luke B

July 5, 2012
The comic strip character of Marmaduke wasn't exactly calling for a motion picture. But give a film a recognisable name and you can sell anything. Marmaduke follows the adventures of a dog and his family as they move from Kansas to California. The dog is a little prick. He purposefully causes problems, such as ruining the house, hurting people, and making a mess. He enjoys acting this way. He breaks the fourth wall and talks to us but we don't care. I don't want to hear from him. He sucks. Early on Marmaduke farts and says he is juvenile. That's the film in a nutshell. It's filled with a voice cast hoping they wont be recognised and that you'll leave before the end credits. Obviously Wilson and Sutherland are unmistakeable, but I think the rest should be named and shamed. Steve Coogan, Emma Stone, Christopher Mintz-Plasse. Hand your heads. As Marmaduke and co go on a series of adventures, in one of which Marmaduke turns into a raging racist and starts hating on half-breeds. Unfortunately he doesn't go the way of Voldemort. Meanwhile the humans are involved in a very dull plot involving marketing for an organic pet food company. Pace plays the kind of father who is constantly beaten down. His family would rather he risk his job and look for their dog instead of going to an important meeting. The comedy is atrocious. I keep hearing the argument that this is for kids. Then why does it reference dozens of adult films? Almost Famous, Midnight Cowboy, The Elephant Man. These are just a few stolen lines that make no damn sense at all. There's also two drug references. This is really scraping the bottom of the barrel, with outdated and simplified lessons on life, and a sudden climax involving a road collapsing. It was horrible.
Scott G

March 24, 2012
Lets be basic, terrible.
Anthony L

May 24, 2011
I love the Marmaduke comic strip. My Grandma used to cut it out of the paper every day and we would read them together. This film does resemble that comic strip in the slightest. Not a surprise, if fact, I sat down to watch this film with the understanding that it is a modern interpretation of the character, I was fine with that and so I wasn't too surprised or upset when it turned out to be a rubbish film. However, I had no idea just how awful it was and so I still got a little bit upset. After so many terrible talking animal films, there really isn't an excuse, the filmmakers should have at least got something right! People have stated that this one is purely for the kids, well I disagree. My kids will never be allowed to watch this bile, I'd rather they watched the Saw movies to be honest. It's incredibly preachy, it's moral stories are convoluted and contradictory and the humanising of the animals is just horrid. Dogs are quite fun as dogs, they don't need to surf/dance/date/copy every 'teen' film made in the last 40 years for us to enjoy them! Avoid this film at all costs, unless you're the kind of person that thinks cutting a dogs tail off and sticking lolly sticks in its ears is acceptable and 'cute', then you will probably like it. You bastard.
Everett J

December 31, 2010
about as good as a movie about talking dogs can be:-)
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

May 23, 2010
Good Movie and the voices were right on perfect. Nice story very simple.

Marmaduke, the world's most lovable Great Dane, leaps from comic strip fame (appearing in 600 newspapers in over 20 countries) to big screen stardom in this family comedy event. A suburban family moves to a new neighborhood in Orange County, California with their large yet lovable Great Dane, who has a tendency to wreak havoc in his own oblivious way. But its not all living large for the Duke, who finds that fitting in with his new four-legged friends - and a potential romantic interest - isn't always easy for a super-sized teenage dog. Owen Wilson gives the beloved Great Dane his voice in the film, which also features the voices of Fergie, George Lopez, Emma Stone and Kiefer Sutherland.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

October 12, 2010
Marmaduke never, ever talked in the comic strip. With that out of my system, I'm not exacly the type of person this movie was meant to attract but my daughter loved it (of course) and that's all that really matters: my daughter's entertainment.
Chris G

September 4, 2010
Marmaduke follows in the in the fine traditions of comic strip films such as Garfield. Yes, it sucks. It really sucks. Drunken falls down a flight of stairs are more enjoyable than this horrible film. It's true. It's true.

The film is narrated by our title character Marmaduke (Owen Wilson). He's a big, pain in the ass dog. Wait! Owen Wilson in a movie about a big, pain in the ass dog? Never seen that one before. His family moves to California and Marmaduke hangs out at a dog park, becomes a big shot, falls, has a party, and ends up bringing everything together in the end.

Now dog movies are usually not good to begin with. Marmaduke takes the definition of bad and re creates it into something that was never intended by man or machine. I know it's a kids movie, but come on. The plot is just terrible. There is a surfing competition AND dogs playing a dancing video game. And where are all the other owners? The only people in this dog park appear to be Marmadukes owner and William H. Macy. Why did you do it William H. Macy!?!?! They have a garage filled with electronics equipment? It's seems as if they just took pieces of ideas and pasted them all together. With dung.

If you are into brainlessly staring at the screen for 88 minutes this is the film for you. Any film would be the film for you. In closing, it sucks.
Lady D

May 1, 2010
This is a fun film for the kids, the cinema was filled with laughter from the children and in fairness it was better than expected from the trailer, with some funny Marmaduke moments.
Jose Z

June 19, 2010
Marmaduke is the adaptation to movies of the cartoon of the same name. The story is about a suburban family moves to a new neighborhood with their large yet lovable Great Dane, who has a tendency to wreak havoc in his own oblivious way. Marmaduke is mainly intended for little kids, some adults may enjoy it others might feel like a living hell. The movie has some funny moments and others are kinda foolish. The CGI to make the animals talk are nothing out of this world but decent enough. The story is a little predictable. The cast of voices are the best thing with Owen Wilson as Marmaduke, Fergie as Jezebel, Kiefer Sutherland as Bosco and George Lopez as Carlos. We also have Lee Pace and Judy Greer as Phil and Debbie Winslow, Marmaduke's owners and William H. Macy as Pace's boss. In conclusion, Kids will love Marmaduke and for one strange reason I enjoy it. So if you have children and a very big patience, take them to see this movie. If not well its your choice.
Phil H

June 27, 2010
Cheap throw away kids film which I'm sure kids will enjoy (maybe) but is really really quite terrible in every aspect. The live action animal idea has been done before and frankly its kinda creepy and tacky looking, an animated film would have been the better option methinks. Dribble of epic proportions and unsure why they even bothered.
Apeneck F

June 20, 2010
why is "cute" an modern day insult? because it implies "not serious", and this is one cute film (if it's a film at all - it could be only a comic strip). strictly for the kiddies (and one day they'll be mad you made 'em watch it).
Frisby2007
Frisby2007

June 23, 2011
This movie breaks the bar for one of the most cliche, unoriginal, corny, & idiotic movies I have seen by far.

They used George Lopez's name in this movie like he was going to be one of the main characters or some important character, & he wasn't. And don't get me started on the cgi used for the talking animals.

Plot/Story: Do I have to even say what this movie is about? It's about a talking dog who travels to a different state, & then tries to make new friends. Talk about unoriginal & cliche. Oh but wait, that's not even the start.

The main character (Marmaduke) can't make friends with the popular/pedigree/higher ranked dogs because they bully him or because he won't fit in, so instead, he makes friends with a lesser group of dogs also being outcasts. But wait, there's more. Marmaduke tries to impress the popular dogs (and a certain female dog) by doing things popular dogs would do. Oh, & did I mention he was trying to mainly impress the head dog's girlfriend, the head dog being a tough, & mean pincer? Oh but that's the least of it.

Marmaduke later on becomes part of the popular crew because he faked an attack on his best friend, the cat. During that, his old outcast friends, now dissed because he forgot about them feel abandoned. The female of the outcast group, now feels alone & such, because she loved him as she helped him fit in with them, only to later on be left for another, higher female dog. Marmaduke later on realizes how wrong he was for leaving his real friends behind & the female dog who really loved him for who he really was. Talk about corny & unoriginal & cliche all a once.

Cast/Acting/Characters: All of the characters in here are as the plot, cliche & unoriginal. Mamaduke is an annoying, & idiotic dog played by the guy I really can't stand, Owen Wilson. The rest of the cast members playing the animals are no better. The acting in this movie by it's cast, even the ones who were human, were all terrible. The only names you will recognize here in this movie are the ones playing the animals, except for William H. Macy. The rest of the cast are either no names or forgettable.

Effects: The effects in this movie are no better than everything else. The cgi whent the dogs talked looked cheesy & horribly done, especially Marmaduke (he looked like Scooby-Doo on some moments). But the worst effects happenned when Marmaduke did completely crazy things other, normal dogs wouldn't do (such as when he danced & surfed like a human).

Dialogue: The dialogue in here is not only corny, but laughable as well. They say the same thing other movies have said when it comes to learning a lesson.

Soundtrack: The only thing I give this movie credit for. It had some great, memorable songs.

Final summation, this movie sucks, ass. It's unoriginal, corny, & cliche on so many levels. No little kid should be tortured to watch this, let alone even the whole family.
anDy
anDy

June 14, 2010
Marmaduke? More like Marmite Puke.

I have read the comics page every single day since I was 10. I am turning 21 next month. Don't laugh.
So I know relatively well the ins and outs of many comics. I was never a big fan of Marmaduke, but I knew enough about it to know that a movie based on the comic was a really stupid idea. Let's break it down into a few easy reasons as to why a movie should have never even been thought up or green lighted, never mind fully created.

1) MARMADUKE DOES NOT TALK. Period. He does not utter one word, or one thought bubble. See, Marmaduke works like Family Circus: One panel (most of the time, sometimes once in a new moon the one panel would be divided by two) with a caption at the bottom. That was the purpose of Marmaduke's owners; a usual American family that would complain about Marmaduke's shenanigans, thus creating the jokes that all pet lovers could relate to. Marmaduke doesn't say one stinking word, and just reading the poster and seeing that "Owen Wilson plays as Marmaduke" already sets this movie for a disaster.

2) THE COMIC WAS ONLY ONE PANEL. Yeah, where the hell are you going to come up with an hour and a half movie from this? Every day, there would be one panel to start and resolve a story. Like I said, rarely twice, but that still doesn't cover more than a minute in terms of a movie. But you can say "oh, Andy, all they have to do is combine many of these comics and make a movie about Marmaduke's shenanigans", to which I reply "if you put together many different unrelated stories into one, you should not be making movies". With this I ask, how the hell are these guys making movies?

3) MARMADUKE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FART JOKES. I didn't say little. I didn't say few instances. NOTHING. Nowhere in Marmaduke was there ever a slew of scat jokes. This is almost as bad as the Cat In The Hat when it comes to destroying a childhood for many people around the world. Marmaduke was a clean innocent comic, and these morons destroyed its 53 years of running by saying "Hey, it's not good enough. Let's make it more "catered" to the audiences of today". With a 10% tomato meter reading, I now know that I am not the only one that agrees that these "film makers" are nothing more than garbage, who should stick to the original source and not be moronic. I must ask, why do all of these "film makers" feel that jokes about flatulence and urination are absolutely essential in family comedies (or just comedies period)? NO ONE CARES FOR THIS CRAP ANYMORE. No pun intended.

4)MARMADUKE DOESN'T BEFRIEND CATS. I actually think he may have been scared of them in the comic. Again, animals do not talk in the comic, so hiring the "I-think-I'm-Funny" man George Lopez to be the cat was another stupid idea.

I could go on and on and on about how much this movie is stupid, but I just can't cover enough ground. This is one of the worst movies I have seen in ages. It surpasses Garfield AND its unnecessary pathetic sequel which is really saying a lot. They destroyed my childhood with Garfield, and they may have put people into asylums with Marmaduke. It starts off with a fart joke, and that's when you know that all these people are doing are treating you like idiots. Simple, stupid idiots. They show no effort in treating you, the audience, like human beings. And poor William H Macy. He got dragged into this pile of trash. He was probably a fan of the comic himself and he wanted to be a part of something special. What he got into is a movie that is so unlikeable that I can barely even recall what it was about. It's kind of hard when the plot is not there.

Marmaduke does not deserve the 10% it's been getting. It is damaging to watch. It is stupid and absolutely forgettable. I'm surprised I made it out of the theater alive, either from how harmful this movie is, or from being so bored that I tried to catch fuzzy peaches in my mouth (and almost choked a number of times, to which I say "dammit, so close to not having to watch this"). This movie isn't worth the ticket I paid for it. If these imbeciles don't throw in the towel now, they really are more stupid than we all thought.

Final Rating: 0.5/10
Keep An Eye Out For: Some really sad voice overs. I say sad because I feel awful that they have this on their resume: Fergie, Keifer Sutherland, the Wayans Brothers, and more, are now scarred for life with this in their lists.
SC007
SC007

April 29, 2011
Cute film. It reminded me of Beverly Hills Chihuahua and Garfield, but I thought those films were much better than this one. They needed a rewrite. I thought all the dogs and cats were more developed then all the human characters in the film. They should have had a balance between the two.

Owen Wilson is great as the voice of Marmaduke. Emma Stone, George Lopez, and Kiefer Sutherland provided great voice work in the film. Lee Pace reminds me of Clive Owen.
Fascade F

December 6, 2010
A light comedy where the vision of dogs and cats with their opinions of you, and what they do becomes surreal. The comedy of George Lopez as Carlos the Cat and the zany humor of Owen Wilson as Marmaduke the Great Dane sheds light on the mind of the domestic animals. For the children to get an understanding in a sense of what the world of animals have to offer besides love and companionship...there is life as we know it among their peers. See it. It is sheer joy.
Juan C

July 18, 2011
a fun looking family comedy that admits it's juvinile, but has some serious fun that will make families begging for more. B+
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

July 14, 2010
This is the story of a lovable Great Dane and his human family, the Winslow's who move to a new home in the city of California. Marmaduke struggles to make new friends and to fit in as so the two older Winslow children, who encounter these very same issues. They all miss their old lives and friends back in Kansas but then they eventually adjust and at the end of the movie Marmaduke learns something very important.
iLeo
iLeo

May 1, 2010
Definitely cute! Marmaduke and Carlos are two beloved pets that belong to the Winslow family. As patriarch Phil Winslow receives a job offer, he discusses it with wife Debbie. After reaching a decision, the family abruptly moves to California and adjusts to a new lifestyle. Marmaduke realizes that he also has to make some changes. In the process, he makes some friends along the way.
Deb S

May 25, 2010
"Hey! Let me out of here, I'm not an animal!"

Cute kids movie that played heavily on puns. My niece and nephew laughed a lot through this one. Owen Wilson's voice seemed perfect for Marmaduke. I agree with Daryl, the doggie dance scene at the end was terrific.
jim222001us
jim222001us

May 6, 2010
Marmaduke was slaughtered by critics, but it's occasionally cute if not totally predictable. While Owen Wilson may have done good voice work in the past, he's just loud and obnoxious as Marmaduke and just never shuts up.
There's never a moment where we see Marmaduke where he's not talking. While the CGI for scenes where the dogs dance is just horribly done. There's something wrong when Marmaduke makes Garfield look like a good movie based on a comic strip.