—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Marvel's The Avengers Reviews

Christopher H

July 31, 2011
After five movies of build-up, four of Marvel's superheros finally assemble in this mega-blockbuster extravaganza. This movie is simply awesome and kick-ass in every aspect from the story, characters, acting, humor, and visual effects-driven spectacle. The final battle between the Avengers and Loki's army in the middle of a downtown area is summer blockbuster action at it's very best. Every member of the Avengers from Iron Man to even Hawkeye get their times to shine; in both the action sequences and character development. However, the true heart of the film is the joys of seeing larger-than-life figures interacting with each other. The film focuses on each of the superheros along with members of Shield learning to work together in order to take down a common enemy, and these scenes are just as compelling as the action sequences thanks to director Joss Whedon's signature witty dialogue and total respect for each individual character. Each member of the cast brings their A-game to their respective roles. One cast member that deserves special mention is Mark Ruffalo, who proves to be a great Bruce Banner. His interpretation of Banner is different from Edward Norton, but just as compelling. Another thing that deserves mention is how Whedon seamlessly nails the look of a comic book without looking cheesy or over-stylized, which is probably the first time I saw that done successfully in a comic book superhero movie. There are so many things that could have went wrong with this superhero all-star concept and Whedon pull it off with such slickness that he makes it look easy. Not only is "The Avengers" incredibly smart and fun, but it also manages to be not only the best Marvel movie but one of the greatest superhero movies of all time.
Ross C

July 10, 2013
Both Iron Man & Thor were surprisingly entertaining and witty movies - when the two meet it's not disappointing. Some great escapist fun and not just in the 3D IMAX action.
puffchunk
puffchunk

August 20, 2013
Lots of explosions which I grow weary of, but it was also plenty of fun. Lots of movies packed into one, sort of like expendables.
garyX
garyX

May 3, 2012
Nick Fury gathers Earth's mightiest heroes to form a response team when Asgardian demi-god Loki returns to spearhead an alien invasion. Joss Whedon is finally given a chance to prove what he can do with the appropriate resources to hand and in Avengers Assemble has created a rip-roaring rollercoaster of escapist entertainment that has all the ingredients of a first class summer blockbuster. Dispensing with his usual formula of wise cracks and pop culture references it begins as a fairly generic action fantasy, but as the heroes are introduced his skill for creating likeable characters and entertaining comic dialogue is framed within a plot which won't win any awards for originality but contains just the right balance of characterisation, comedy and eye boggling set pieces. Once again it is Robert Downey Jr. who is the star of the show but the cast of supporting characters make for an ensemble team that play off each other extremely well and each have just enough room to strut their stuff without overshadowing or clashing with each other. I've always preferred the X-Men comics as I've always found The Avengers a little too establishment-orientated and a bit of a dumping ground for characters not interesting enough to have books of their own, but Whedon's decision to make their first encounter a squabbling pissing contest works really well and the alien invasion is as thrilling as it is visually spectacular. Far, far better than Thor and the Hulk films, and even better than Iron Man, Avengers Assembles fulfils all the promise of the idea and although still not the match of Christopher Nolan's more adult take on the Batman character, is still head and shoulders above the vast majority of its comic strip competition.
Red L

June 23, 2013
The Avengers is a for the control of earth between aliens and the team of Marvel heros. The plot is somewhat predictable with only a few twists, but there is a lot of action. I suppose people will watch it with so many A-list actors in it.
Sanjay R

May 5, 2012
I usually don't like action/superhero movies because of the cliches and unimaginative endings to battles, which this movie has. However, this film rises above all other action movies. The way the narrative balances all of these superheros and mixes great action with great comedy is sublime. It is a very well acted, written and directed film.
Al S

July 29, 2010
A true instant classic. A total blast that is truly exhilarating. This is without a doubt the greatest superhero movie ever made. A spectacular and robustly entertaining action-packed adventure. It`s a must-see for fans of the genre and just for movie fans in general. It`s fierce, vastly epic, stylish, witty and flat-out amazing. A two-hour mash-up of brilliance and spectacle. A smart, mind-blowing, eye-opening, wickedly funny and adrenaline-charged action thrill-machine from start to finish. Other then being packed with awesome special effects and incredible action sequences, theirs a great story with plenty of heart and well-drawn and compelling characters. The performances are well-done and nearly perfect, the all-star cast deliver the goods and give great depth. Downy Jr, Evans, Hemsworth, Ruffalo, Renner, and Johansson are the real deal dream team and they shine with their chemistry. Robert Downy Jr. is brilliant. Chris Evans is excellent. Chris Hemsworth is terrific. Mark Ruffalo is fantastic. Samuel L. Jackson is perfect as Nick Fury. Jeremy Renner and Scarlett Johansson are awesome. A masterpiece. Director, Joss Wheadon`s finest hour, he knows how to balance the characters, the humor and story to that it suits everyone. Wheadons`s vision is outstanding and does great justice to the piece. An unforgettable movie experience. A pure knockout of superpower that you wont forget. This is one unstoppable and incredibly fun movie that is truly unforgettable.
Nikhil N.
Nikhil N.

January 21, 2013
The movie was good but it was way over-hyped. I think that in an effort to fit all of the different characters in we lose a lot of the character development that makes Marvel movies fun in the first place. The movie is, in an essence, three drawn-out masterfully shot action sequences. The problem with this is that the characters suffer as a result.
deano
deano

April 1, 2009
Avengers assembled flawlessly! WOW! Smart, action-packed witty and immensely entertaining as one of the best Marvel films ever made and this is the third highest-grossing box office hit of all time for good reason.
Director Joss Whedon takes the foundation that was built in the prior films and brings together the greatest team of superheroes in film history, The Avengers: Iron Man/Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America/Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Hulk/Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson), and Hawkeye/Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) as "assembled" by Nick Fury. Whedon's scripts usually include clever banter, gripping action sequences and an air of mystery and The Avengers is no different. Whedon has an utter love for comic books, and it is proudly put on display in The Avengers.
At a running-time of 2 and half hours, The Avengers is well paced and time flies by. The effects are top-notch, the acting is very good, and the script drives the movie elevating its strengths. I see the new Hulk is awesome in CG motion capture better than The Incredible Hulk and Hulk.
My all-the-time favourite scene is The Avengers fight Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and his Chitauri (aliens from space) armies in defense of New York City for half hour.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 13, 2013
Tony Stark: You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?

So I finally got around to seeing one of the more hyped films in recent memory. I purposely didn't go see The Avengers when it was first released because the hype was so huge. I honestly didn't think it would live up to all of it. I'm glad to say I was wrong. I've never been the biggest Marvel film fan. The Hulks were nothing special. I thought Thor sucked. Captain America was pretty good. Iron Man was the best of them and a great movie, but the second one was a big step down. Put all those guys together, give it a huge budget, an all-star cast, and amazing effects and you have something though.

This movie was huge. Huge. Massive. Epic. Awe-inspiring. The movie looked great, sounded great, and most important of all was great. It started a little slow for me, but with each scene the movie just picked up momentum and kept getting better and better.

I'm not going to say this is the best Superhero movie ever because in my opinion it just isn't. I'd take the original Superman, the Nolan trilogy, and Iron Man over this in those regards, but that isn't saying I don't completely respect this movie for what it is. This movie had so much going on. It didn't just have a focus on one superhero versus a villain or two. It had to put emphasis on a large amount of characters and it did so rather impressively. From Bruce Banner(The Hulk), who I thought was the best character in this film to Scarlett Johansson's sexy spy. All the characters were given just treatment and the character interplay is what made this film as good as it is.

So if you're one of the very few people who have not seen this yet, do so. It's definitely another move in the right direction for the superhero films. I'm extremely excited about the sequel and if they don't go to far away from what made this one so good, I could see that one even being potentially better. Only time will tell though. And hopefully this will give DC the push it needs to put out a Justice League movie, although I don't see them touching this quality with that.
Spencer S

July 17, 2010
"The Avengers" is a culmination of four years, four long years, of promises from Marvel to bring all their films together to create a film that not only has all our favorite heroes but keeps their previous personalities in check while raising the stakes and using a mass of effects. Over the past four years many origin story films have come out, including another sequel to Iron Man, Thor, several failed Hulk films, a dodgy Captain America, and winding throughout all these films was Hawkeye and Black Widow. I found Iron Man 2 to be a jumbled and lacking action film and Captain America was full of laughable effects and slow plotting. The Avengers had more going for it based on the fact that it was introducing many super heroes to one another and was written and directed by legendary Joss Whedon. Whedon deserves praise for the nuanced elements he provides to the film, including the detailed action scenes; the dialogue is nearly stylized with its inherent humor and latent drama between different characters. Stark is still the guy with the one liners, Captain America is somewhat innocent and yet charismatic, Thor is less bumble headed and more impressively matched against his brother, and Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk was clearly the best possible casting, as he balances between thoughtful scientist Bruce Banner and smash hungry hulk. The film is very long for most theatrical releases, at 2 and half hours, and feels that way for much of the beginning, getting its footing when the action finally commences. Loki as the villain seemingly makes sense after his serious turn in Thor as the most complex and earnest villain of super hero films that have come out of late. His motivations have shifted from a son trying to seize power and prove himself, to one of bitter revenge at the behest of his brother who banished him to an alien world that he now looks to unleash on Thor's beloved Earth. The action was perfectly timed, the alien designs were gushingly gross, and there was sufficient buildup to get to the end of the world final action sequence that had a scene that made me hold my breath. It was sadly not our heroes coming together with cooperation and taking down something super impressive and huge and more of a film where our characters got to know one another and gradually stopped trying to undermine one another. Hulk steals the show all along the way and has all the big scenes but none of the big lines like Stark. While everyone has loved every inch of this film and lauded it as a seminal masterpiece, pushing it to the third highest grossing film of all time, it has flaws. I didn't connect with it the way others have and didn't think it had as many memorable scenes as other Joss Whedon films. The action, again, was intense and it had the best possible cast, but I didn't feel any connection with any of the characters, or care about the outcome of the film. Though most of this is seamless, I just wish I liked the characters more than I did the effects.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 3, 2010
Fab superhero movie. They are brought together to defend the earth from evil forces. I like Captain America and Ironman. The hulk is much more realistic looking than previous movies. Scarlett Johansson makes a great agent.
KJ P

December 6, 2010
After all these years of waiting, getting bits a pieces of story that will eventually lead to the assembly of this "Avengers" team, I must say that this film goes above and beyond that boundaries of any of the Marvel films in the past. The backstories are meant for the individual films throughout the past four years and the assumed underdeveloped characters on the S.H.I.E.L.D team all get their character arcs at some point in this film. Now, a cube stolen by Loki must be retrieved and destroyed or removed, for the safety of the world. This is the opportunity to Assemble a team of heroes to fight back. This sparks a war that even a non Marvel fan will "marvel" for the rest of their lives. The script is superbly written, the one-liners and jokes are gut-splittingly hilarious, the characters (along with the acting) is fantastic, the action is some of the best ever delivered by Marvel, and by the time this film concludes, you have no choice but to stand up and cheer. "The Avenger's" is easily one of the best Marvel films to date, and I 100% recommend this amazing feature to everyone. This film will not let you down. Pure super heroic art!!!
Graham J

November 20, 2011
Gotta give it up for this one, though it has many flaws, ir pulls off the impossible.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

May 15, 2010
"What a great action film. I had my doubts that they would give everyone in the film a respectable amount of screen time, but they managed to pull them all together quite nicely. I have many favorite parts. I will only list a couple: The first scene with Johansson. She kicked some major ass and I was impressed. When the Hulk sucker punched Thor, very funny. Then I would have to say most of Downey's lines. He's quite the smartass and I enjoy that kind of humor considering I speak that language. I know Loki is suppose to be the bad guy, but I can't help but like him. I find him humorus and bratty. In all the film was fantastic. Plus it didn't hurt that it had so much fine males in the film for us ladies and some of you gents to look upon ;) I hope they make another one."
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 7, 2010
There were several films from summer 2012 that were hugely anticipated, but this one might have taken the top prize in that category, if only for the fact that it's so unprecedented. Like the superhero team it's about, this film brought together a huge cast of well known, talented, and respected performers, and tried to create the ultimate team. In a lot of ways, this is kinda like the biblical studio ensemble epics of old, though more spectacular and epic, if for different reasons. While this sort of thing isn't entirely new, it's never been done on this level before, and that's not including the fact that it's done with comic book superheroes. Joss Whedon had one daunting challenge before him as the co-writer/director of this, but I can safely say that he succeeds.

After gaining control of the Tesseract (the mystic blue cube thing as seen in Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger), Thor's half-brother Loki uses it to gain control of an extraterrestrial army that he plans to use for global, if not universal domination. In response, S.H.I.E.L.D. leader Nick Fury and his underlings assemble their own counter-strike team of sorts to help combat the looming threat...and the lineup they choose is great: besides S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives Black Widow and Hawkeye, they get Thor, the Hulk, Captain America, and Iron Man.

It takes a while for this newly assembled team to learn to work together and play nicely, but when they do, they prove that it is possible to put egos, opinions, and other things aside in order to work together for a great cause. And the exact same thing can be said about the film's cast. I honestly don't know if II would want to be in Whedon's shoes. He had to take several lead-in movies, their established characters and actors (well, one's a re-cast but he is amazing), and piece them all together to make a cohesive and wieldy whole. Amazingly enough, it works. All of the performers bring their best, they have great chemistry with one another, and I love how they seem to treat this as more than just a paycheck.

Downey Jr. steals the show as one might expect, but each performer has at least one moment where they really shine, and the film does a pretty good job at developing at least all of the principles and giving them mostly balanced amounts of screen time. Renner could have been used more, but he's bad ass when he's around. Ruffalo makes a great replacement for Norton, and he is probably my favorite person to play the character in the last decade. I didn't give him much thought in Thor, but Tom Hiddleston is superb as Loki. He's a great villain: really creepy, charismatic, dangerous, and a joy to watch. Cobie Smulders makes an impression as agent Maria Hill, but she gets the short end of the stick mostly. Here's to hoping the sequel gives her more time to strut her stuff.

While the film does a really good job at juggling all the characters and their individual stories, the main plot of the movie is rather lackluster. I understand that the film was already pretty long, and it was noble of them to be so ambitious to take so much on at once, but they could have beefed things up a lot better, and fleshed out the stuff with the Tesseract more than they did. That might really be my only complaint actually. Granted, it's not small, but it's not quite enough to really wreck things.

Especially when this movie is so fun. It's action packed, thrilling, almost never drags, and, while not designed to be a comedy, is flat out hilarious at times. There's lots of great lines, character interactions, and little things here and there that all come together to make a movie that is bound to please almost everyone in at least one way or another.

This was quite an accomplishment. It's not perfect, but it sure comes close. It's easily the best movie of summer 2012, the best superhero movie of the year, and quite deserving of a place on the "best ever" superhero list.
familiar s

November 1, 2012
A get together of superheroes should have been set more entertainingly. When you don't have a story good enough, even a lot of superheroes fail to keep you hooked. The Aviator might have sounded exciting on paper, but what I watched was a let-down. I take consolation in knowing that it worked out for the majority of its audience (purely going by the ratings shown here). Can't wait for the sequel!!! With all due respect, 1/5 sounds fair enough for the experience. Miss the good old days wherein I can picture myself enjoying this sort of movie.
Christian C

October 27, 2012
Pleasant experience. Coherent story (which is no guaranty in a comic book based movie!). Fabulous special effect (which IS a guarantee in a comic book based movie). Definitely worth seeing.
Naveen K

April 29, 2012
Fun.
Just...
Fun.
Albert K

May 9, 2012
"The Avengers: Dark of the Moon", directed by Joss Bay-don. lol, it really isn't as bad as the Transformers movies, but it definitely draws a lot of similarities, especially the high spectacle action set-piece. But other similarities comes in all sorts of forms: Dull plotline placed in just for the sake of bringing the widest, biggest action spectacle possible at a city-threatening scale and it all comes with a price -- a lack of focus on other essential aspects. "The Avengers" has about four years of hype to live up to and in many aspects, it succeeds due to Joss Whedon's knack of humor.

Four years of hype is a difficult expectation to live up to. Who wouldn't be hyped for such a premise as one presented in "The Avengers"? The film could've turned out two different ways:
1) "The Avengers" could simply turn out to be one colossally hyped movie that doesn't live up to the hype due to a single-minded focus to bring the most epic, bad ass, in-your-face action of all time.
2) "The Avengers" would smartly play on what is drawing attention towards such a film: By focusing on how each of these notorious individuals but intensely dynamic super heroes, all with diverse stories and motives, come together to fight.
Luckily, "The Avengers" doesn't quite turn out to be the first option, but definitely doesn't turn out to be the latter one. It dwindles between the two and because of unfortunate restrictions (It's pretty difficult already to keep our attention span for 2 hours and 22 minutes), an overwhelmingly strong emphasis on the stale narrative that's ONLY placed in as a story arc for a "reasonable" reason to present the final battle, and avoiding what would make such a premise interesting in the first place.

Now to clear up all misconceptions, this must be said: "The Avengers" is not a bad movie; it successfully delivers its purpose: to entertain at a summer blockbuster action flick effort. With that said, the film never goes beyond its entertainment value. We, the viewers, are never emotionally attached, and once the final battle spurts forth, there's no tension whatsoever throughout. There's no worry for any of the heroes for their danger as they battle against innumerable odds. There's no strain weighed over our shoulders over whether the situation will be better. There's no sense of sorrow over the dreadful attacks enacted against the citizens of New York. The action's there only as a spectacle to dazzle with amazingly over-the-top set-pieces. Again, I must clarify that I'm all down for great action set-pieces, but when it carries no substance under the glamour, it's nothing more but a forgettable eye-dazzling moment that rushes by. "The Avengers" definitely has a lot more substance than the entire "Transformers" trilogy combined, but it still isn't enough especially when such a package is coupled with average direction, editing, and camerawork.

Remember "Heat" when Michael Mann brought in two of the greatest actors of all time on board (Robert De Niro and Al Pacino)? Well, they didn't share screen time together till an hour through the movie and it successfully stirred up a stronger yearning to see how these two masterful stars would interact with each other. And boy, what a scene that was when they finally met. "The Avengers"? Nope. Instead of a resounding booming clap of a reaction to see these iconic superheroes meeting on the same screen, it kinda trickles out with very impersonal results. The writing and the narrative all were focused on the uninteresting story arc of how Loki, an average and uninteresting villain within the Marvel series, seeks to destroy the world and how out of the blue, The Avengers must be formed. It was pretty mundane which caused the pacing to be very fickle. It's when the movie deviates from this lackluster plotline and let's the characters talk, instead of explain jibber-jabber to forward the inevitable action sequence, is when "The Avengers" truly shines. Unfortunately, it glimmers by letting the viewers taste what its like to see the character interact, but quickly gets shut out by not letting it prolong. The narrative never truly delves deeply into these intricate relationships.

This is not Marvel's best movie; it's far from it -- it entertains: Every time The Hulk came onto screen, he swept the show; the ending fight scene was one grand extravaganza with spectacular visuals and ingenious action moments; every character had a defining moment within this motion picture and the acting ensemble was all-around superb. "The Avengers" is a highly entertaining popcorn flick, but "Best superhero movie of all time!"? Hell no. It's not genre-defining material as "The Dark Knight" was.