• PG-13, 1 hr. 41 min.
  • Lionsgate Films

Meet The Browns Reviews

DreamExtractor DreamExtractor
½ October 22, 2011
Meet the Browns is another Tyler Perry film that seems to be so dramatic that people thinks its amazing, but it was just ok for me, its got good acting and an pretty good storyline, but overall it was just an ok movie for me.
mwilliams078 mwilliams078
July 7, 2008
Meet The Browns is yet another good film from Tyler Perry. I love the Tyler Perry films with Madea...you can always count on quality and a good message. I love Angela Bassett whom shines as a single working mother in Chicago of 3 children. No assistance and getting into some financial problems...enters the Browns...what a crazy family. The Browns help Angela and her children find that family are strong together and can make things all work out.
Bradley W
½ December 2, 2011
Jeff B. Jeff B.
½ August 13, 2010
Once an auteur reaches a certain plateau of unmitigated success, there comes the double-edged sword of creative freedom. While this rare privilege grants a few artists the Holy Grail of moviemaking known as ?final cut,? it also means that they will probably not hear the word ?no? until they tumble back down the industry ladder a la Orson Welles. For example, writer/directors George Lucas (Star Wars) and M. Night Shyamalan (Sixth Sense) never came close to realizing the high standards set by their breakthrough trilogies/movies. Both auteurs, however, followed up their landmark works with scripts that showed promise?-if only they had gone through a stricter editing process. Now a one-man mogul after successes on stage, television, and screen, Tyler Perry presents audiences with a similar dilemma. Meet the Browns shows potential but the scattershot script is all over the place.

In this PG-13-rated dramedy, a single mother (Bassett) rediscovers the joys of family after reconnecting with the relatives of the father she never knew.

Despite the preponderance of clichés and stereotypes, audiences cannot help but respect the good-hearted charm of Perry?s style. Problems arise, however, when contrivance after contrivance pops up (a coach scouting a basketball phenom in inner-city Chicago just happens to live in the same small Georgia town as the Browns) and the story becomes too cartoonish and slipshod (grandmotherly Madea shows up out of the blue in an OJ-style car chase). It then becomes hard to keep sight of such charm. But who has the gall to take a red pen to a mogul?

Bottom line: Take a raincheck.
William G
April 3, 2008
Just as taxing as any of Perry's other endeavors.
whosinthenews whosinthenews
½ July 1, 2008
Tyler Perry: promoting modern day black stereotypes and rehashed plots.
Hamee Hamee March 17, 2008
This is another movie from Tyler Perry that is funny, sweet, and makes everything brighter. Just because the story is completely impossible doesn't change the fact that you hope it could become reality. Madea's police chase scene and arrest were amazing.
Kyle J ½ June 30, 2008
Like most of Tyler Perry's movies I did enjoy it, but it's not my favorite movies of Perry's. It felt too melodramatic at some parts of the movie and it sometimes felt forced. I would choose "Why Did I Get Married?" as his best so far.
Sean R ½ March 17, 2008
It's not the best film Perry has ever done, yet was able to capture a story of a family going through rough times.
Some how Perry can always get it right with his would, but for the actor David Mann, he seems to bring the film downward spill and make it less enjoyable with his annoying character, Mr. Brown.
Otherwise this is not a film to be missed, but not really see more than once.
Chelsey T September 12, 2009
Yet again another Tyler Perry movie that I absolutely loved. I don't think he can make a horrible movie...ever. I was a little sad to see that Madea wasn't in this a lot considering Cora is her's and Mr. Brown's daughter, but what little she was in it, made it absolutely hilarious. I cannot get over how crazy Mr. Brown is. At a few parts I was laughing so hard I was almost crying. David Mann is perfect for the part, I don't see how he can keep a straight face whenever he says something that hilarious.
I was happy to see that Angela Bassett was cast as the female lead. I think she is a very talented actress and the part fit her well. I also couldn't get over how adorable that little Mariana Tolbert is. She is beyond believably adorable. Also, Rick Fox? I had no clue he was that great of an actor. This movie was very well casted to say the least.
I was happy to see a lot of reaccuring characters that he's had in previous movies i.e. Sofia Vergara played in "Madea Goes to Jail" and of course David Mann (Mr. Brown) and Tamela Mann (Cora) from the same movie as well as the television show.
I would highly recommend seeing this if you are a Tyler Perry fan. It helps make the more recent movies make sense.
djmalymal16 djmalymal16 September 3, 2009
Story line was a bit predictable. Always get a christian influence from Tyler Perry films, but definitely worth a view.
Lisa S March 30, 2009
Really good love story with comedy in it. Lets you know karma is a bitch. The ending is classic lol.
J M March 17, 2008
David Mann is hilarious, Rick Fox is awkward, Madea is a gimmick, Angela Basset is reduced to always looking like she's about to cry, and Tyler Perry is a shameless puppeteer of the heartstrings. He is sincere and simple though, and that counts for something. Right? The street kid/high school basketball star subplot isn't bad.
vedares vedares September 20, 2008
I thought it was very entertaining. It was also a good morale booster, especially for young boys with single mothers. It actually gave them something to strive for. It was also hopeful to watch showing that true love can come at any time in your life. This time it was very beautiful to see how two people can come together and make a good home and family from failed previous relationships.
robertallenandersonjr robertallenandersonjr ½ September 1, 2008
Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns was such a wonderful movie. It had so much meaning to it. I loved what the son in this movie kept doing for his mother. I thought that it was a tear jerker. I was very close to tearing at a few different parts. This was a comedy mixed in with a drama in my own opinion. I don't see how you wouldn't consider this a drama. It was about a single mother trying to make enough money to support her three kids. The story to this was very sad. The messages in this movie were saying to you that you should do anything to get your mom money. The only thing that you shouldn't do is sell drugs or anything bad like that. This movie was very very funny. It had the whole entire theatre laughing very hard. I saw a midnight screening for this and it was very jam packed. Another good thing about this movie was that it had a little to do with basketball. I think that all of the family can enjoy this movie. It was a great movie for a family to see what can really happen to some families. I thought the acting was played pretty well and loved the idea of having Rick Fox star in this movie. Some of the acting by the lead actress was a little bit over played at some scenes. Overall though the acting was played very well. Their was of course one scene with Tyler Perry in it where he dressed up as a woman. I thought that the idea of the beginning of the movie taking place in Chicago was pretty sweet. Some of the visuals were pretty cool. Some of the cool visuals were the buildings in Chicago and stuff like that. A couple scenes in this movie you just did not see coming at all. You would be expecting it to go one way and it would go the other way. I thought the son did a great job acting for this being one of his first films. Overall this was a great family movie. Their wasn't a lot of bad language you have to worry about either. One more thing is that I don't get why people keep cutting this movie down. It seems like all the black movies they cut down a lot. It was all done it great taste. So go see this movie you will enjoy it I hope.
Kennya W August 13, 2008
This is not Tyler's best work. In fact, this is Tyler's worst work... And that is saying a lot coming from me. He adjusted the plotline from the play and he should not have done that. I'm sure there were perfectly sound reasons for the adjustments, but those reasons don't pan out in the final conclusion. And these people giving this movie a grat rating are either lying or they don't know what a good movie should be. This movie did too much, tried to explain too much, most of the actors gave mediocre performances, and the scene with Medea was just completely out of sync. *sigh* It could have been VASTLY improved. I'm so disappointed.
Suela Suela April 1, 2008
YUK!YUK! I still have a bad taste in my mouth. Angela you should be ashamed...I bet you are...ok Imma let go and let God. I blame Sissy and T-Baby for this.
tashagirl113 tashagirl113 ½ April 7, 2008
I am a BIG fan of Tyler Perry and all of his productions on and off the big screen. This was well done, but as always I prefer the plays.
abarnes1980 abarnes1980 ½ August 8, 2008
Funny movie. Was good, but I really missed Madea. Should have included her a little more. Don't make me go "Gospel Gangster" on you.. lol
Sweet Poetic R July 13, 2008
I really did enjoy this movie...Right from the beginning to the end...A family movie .....a clean and decent movie....Tyler Perry has done it again...He difinitely is is gifted and blessed....