The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Memory Keeper's Daughter Reviews

½ April 17, 2010
Dermot's the star and manages to humanize his rather loathsome character but it Gretchen Mol and especially Emily Watson who provide the emotional heart of this film.
October 23, 2012
Such a touching, sad story.
August 19, 2009
Interesting story!
April 16, 2014
It is really hard to like this movie when the male lead is such a bad dude. The ending was a little weak, but sweet.
½ January 1, 2012
Another sad movie made strictly for the ladies Life Time Channel on cable TV. It wasn't bad, I guess I was just in the mood to see some sappy movies and this was another one of them. Ladies you'll love this one, guys grab a few brews and go watch a game somewhere.
½ May 4, 2008
I know attitudes about Downs Syndrome kids were different in the 60s but I would have been livid had my husband done that to me. The husband should have told his wife the truth.
½ June 12, 2010
Pretty darn good TV movie with one of my faves Dermot Mulroney. He is ashamed of his newborn Down's twin so gives her away and keeps the other...he then tells his wife the one died. Oh boy then we watch the story unravel!
January 9, 2009
A well-made adaptation of an emotionally difficult book. The story did seem to skip over things, or maybe I just wanted to know more about certain subplots. This is a sad story of a man faced with a very difficult moral decision that drastically affects the rest of his life and the life of his family. Well-acted by Watson and Mulroney, it brings life to many relevant social issues.
August 25, 2008
This was a beautiful movie. The movie was very interesting. Had a great story. I think it was sad that the husband didn't want to keep the baby. Really nice movie. I love the ending.
½ May 6, 2008
I saw this movie on Lifetime. It wasn't that good & all the Flixster banner ads about it was annoying.
October 23, 2013
A stunning cast and superbly written script, this is a tale of tragedy, love, danger and hope. To imagine it, through one selfish act, a family has to endure heartbreak, but there's a silver lining in every story, and frankly this one's gold.
½ July 22, 2013
I wasnt really into this movie,it was actually kinda slow to me and nothing about it really was exciting or intriguing.The only part that i did like was the end when Nora finds out that her beautiful down-syndrome daughter was alive and when she went to see her and the mother and daughter and the daughters brother all met,that was really touching to me.Besides that,i could live without ever watching it again.
May 13, 2013
This movie was so touching.
July 9, 2012
Definitely makes one cry. An eye opener to those who were guided by biases from stereotypes.
December 17, 2011
it is a nice dramatic cinema in 2008 .
½ September 11, 2011
'Made for TV' and it shows in places, with continuity flaws and simplistic narration. However the story is good and reveals a lot about changing attitudes towards Downs Syndrome. It demonstrates how a deception destroys a marriage, and the lives of those involved. Eleanor noticed that the attempt to avoid pain removed the joy - and did not ultimately avoid the inevitable pain. It's a tearjerker - I cried at the end. I don't believe Emily Watson has been in a bad film. She's excellent in this.
August 29, 2011
good story but the overall movie was bad....
July 8, 2010
this should be a good television series
March 28, 2009
Beautifully told and delicately portrayed this painful and poignant tale of two women brought together in a way only a mothers love could design. Emily Watson and Gretchen Mol were exquisite and this is a movie I am glad I did not overlook.