Mercy

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Mercy Reviews

Daniel P

September 10, 2012
Where it loses points is in the rather cheesy fate that befalls one of heroes in the end - most people would see it coming all the way, and in retrospect, I did, too, I just kind of forgot about it.

Where it gains points is in the incredibly human and believable story it tells: it's a tautly-written and well-paced story of ill-fated love that sweeps you up and holds you tightly in its grasp.

In all, it's Scott Caan's best crack at a contemporary Clint Eastwood film, and it tells a well-acted little story about a volatile writer and the fragility of all that we love in life. It didn't quite dig deeply enough into the central couple's conflicting vocations - author and book reviewer - but as a study of its central character, I really enjoyed it.

September 28, 2011
In "Mercy," Johnny(Scott Caan, who also wrote and produced) wakes up alone in his bed after another wild night of frenzied sex, only to listen to his friend Erik(John Byrd) complaining about the sad state of his love life. That night at the book party for his latest novel, Chris(Alexie Gilmore) bets him that he cannot seduce a cute waitress(Whitney Able). To be honest, he might have been able to, if he had not been distracted by Mercy(Wendy Glenn). As later informed by his agent Jake(Dylan McDermott), his book would have been unanimously praised if not for the review written by Mercy who had no mercy.

"Mercy" is a frustrating near miss of a movie and Scott Caan deserves the praise and blame for that. He is a very good actor who makes the new and not necessarily improved "Hawaii Five-O"(where he also plays a character who has a thing for tall English women) much better than it has a right to be and is excellent in "Mercy."(As long as I am in this part of the critical woods, I also recommend "Dallas 362.") But as a writer, he does not fare as well. The story flows smoothly until it reaches a point where it does not know what else to do except get unnecessarily tricky and play the largest cliche in the deck, dragging it out in excruciating fashion. It is a shame because there are some interesting thoughts here on the differences between a public persona and the private person, with the perils of judging harshly. I'll excuse the fact that the lead character is a writer since he uses a manual typewriter but remember critics are people and writers, too.
Christopher H

February 5, 2011
Scott Caan does a good enough job writing, producing, and acting in this emotional drama. The film loses steam progressively throughout the first three-fourths of the film, but the shocking end is completely worth the exposition. Didn't quite live up to expectations, but still a nicely done piece.
July 21, 2012
i loved it. Mellow in the beginning but it develops well.
August 7, 2012
I thought this was solid. I started to catch on to the 'twist', which isn't a 'twist' per se. Good performances all around.
August 4, 2012
Beautifully shot and poignantly written....loved it!
July 20, 2012
Absolutely a puzzle, but a wonderful and tragic love story. Scott Caan does a fantastic job as the scarred playboy, who falls in love with with the woman who turns him down. Normally I do not enjoy choppy stories that bounce back and forth, but this one is a keeper!! I think John (Scott Caan) does a great job as the emotionally scarred writer who does not trust women, and he learns this so well while being raised by a single father who is bitter over his wife leaving, never to return. As the story pieces together bit by bit, the puzzle comes together to reveal a tragic story about a man opening up to love, loving, and losing. I give it four stars, only one deduct for the choppiness. Please watch and enjoy!
July 16, 2012
In "Mercy" Scott Caan has written a romance with a twist. This film is not so much about the story of Johnny (Caan) and Mercy (Wendy Glenn) as it is about a person's capacity to love. The subject of this love story is love itself. And though at first glance the film might seem a tragedy, its ending offers the hope of second chances, as Johnny chooses to remain open to the possibility of loving again rather than giving in to bitterness and remaining alone. "Mercy" is an interesting character study of those who have loved and lost and those who have never loved at all. Well written and well acted. Don't miss out on this little gem.
July 9, 2012
Love this film. Beautifully shot and a great story of love and loss
July 8, 2012
This was amazing! The writing was great and the ending was an amazing surprise.
February 25, 2012
It looks SO NOT REAL and is so incredible, when a vain guy like Scott Caan tries to render emotion. Hilarious! if it hadn't been that frustrating to watch. The outcome is a shallow, bloodless C-movie ...nothing but a catwalk of pseudo-attractive vanity of a certain clique. The lack of soul hurts.
February 3, 2012