Messenger of Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Messenger of Death Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
November 21, 2012
Messenger of Death is an underrated Charles Bronson flick that is not as bad as what everyone says. I agree that it's not one of his best works, but this is a\ film that nonetheless has everything you'd expect from a Bronson action thriller. This film should appeal to the diehard Bronson fans only, and it definitely isn't a perfect action thriller, but it has enough good elements on-screen to make it a worthwhile viewing. Directed with flair by Cape Fear director J. Lee Thompson, Messenger of Death is fun for what it is. Bronson has done better, but this film has enough effective thrilling elements to appeal to Bronson fans. The film however had so much more potential in being a great, memorable experience, and as it stands, it's an entertaining ride that does deliver some good thrills, but in some areas the film does lack in a truly original plot, but luckily the film is never dull. The film had potential of being so much more, but it manages to still be an intense ride than only a Charles Bronson action flick can deliver. This isn't his greatest work, but it still manages to deliver the usual treats that we'd expect from this classic tough guy. A film that no Bronson fan should pass up on, and is really a film that will certainly appeal more to his die hard followers than common movie fans. This is an imperfect film, but it still a worthwhile action thriller to watch to kill some time. The cast starring alongside Bronson are good in their parts, and they all have something to offer. However Bronson makes the film work, even with its somewhat lacking, original material and he proves that he doesn't need a gun to kick ass.
May 16, 2008
Works as a comedy.
½ February 2, 2007
Charles Bronson is a reporter investigating a Mormon blood feud. The opening scene is brutal and very well done, reminding me of Once Upon A Time in the West. The "cowboys" being kept in shadow was quite eerie.
½ November 26, 2010
If you go into this expecting 'Death Wish IV: The Crackdown' or any of Bronson's more over-the-top 80s output, I can see how you'd be disappointed. However, if you just let go of any preconceptions of what this should be and want to enjoy an above-average thriller, then you'll probably like it much more. This isn't a shoot-'em-up or revenge flick (in the usual sense, anyway) in the traditional sense, but Bronson running around with pad and pencil trying to get answers. He doesn't blow up bad guys with rocket launchers, kill punks in break-dancing gear with big game hunting guns, or eat cabbage soup with old people; he travels around Colorado trying to get answers from Mormons and uncover big, bad corporate conspiracy. Almost reminded me of 'In Cold Blooid,' just keep that in mind.
February 13, 2015
Not the best Bronson movie, but I really liked it. Interesting, although a bit hard to buy into, story. Actor performances carry the movie.
½ October 15, 2014
Even though the movie opens with the slaughter of about a dozen innocent women and children, "Messenger of Death" is something of a departure for star Charles Bronson in a couple of different ways. First off, it begs to be taken seriously by dealing with Mormons and their beliefs, even though as the film goes on that angle proves to be a red herring into the investigation.

Secondly, Bronson plays a reporter and oddly enough doesn't kill anyone in the picture, although after about an hour of this dull and talky mess you may secretly be hoping for the actor's return to form. For all of its characters and plot developments, the motivation behind the crimes is disappointingly simple dealing with greed and land rights. All the good the movie does in trying to establish as something different is undone thanks to a weak script and casting of the supporting characters. Even the star looks bored through most of this.

J. Lee Thompson has made some of his better efforts throughout this decade, but this is not one of them. The filmmaker took ill halfway into the filming of this and was hastily replaced by the second unit director, and that shows. What little action is present consists of a couple of lame car chases and one of the worst shoot-outs in recent memory. It looks like it was choreographed by a blind guy. In fact, the entire film has the look and feel of a television project, especially when it comes to the lazy score.

"Messenger of Death" has a few minutes of promise that is quickly squandered as it descends into typical B-movie cliches and familiarity.
½ November 23, 2013
What do you care if two crazies kill themselves?

The wife and children of a Mormon is massacred in their home. The Mormon returns home and while clearly destroyed emotionally, he wants god to handle the killers and will not help with the investigation. A reporter finds this story interesting and comes in to try and find the people responsible. As he digs further into the act, he discovers the governor up for election may have something to do with the massacre.

"You are not welcome here."
"I've noticed."

J. Lee Thompson, director of Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects, Death Wish 4, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, The White Buffalo, Cape Fear (1962), and Return from the Ashes, delivers Messenger of Death. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward and predictable. The action scenes are average and the characters are really nothing special. The cast delivers mediocre performances and include Charles Bronson, John Ireland, Jon Cedar, and Trish Van Devere.

"I have a feeling I'll be exploiting you further."

I DVR'd this picture because it starred Charles Bronson; his movies are generally bad, but I watch them anyway. Sometimes Charles Bronson films surprise you, but this wasn't one of them. This was a cliché 80s action picture with mediocre acting, mediocre action scenes, and a mediocre plot. I recommend skipping this picture.

"You're going to name the son of a bitch or I'm going to beat you to death."

Grade: D
½ May 29, 2013
Solid actioner with Bronson playing newspaper reporter out to find out the truth about a murder of a pseudo religous cult leader that murdered and continues to murder. Good action and great old time actors (John McIntrye,Jeff Corey) bring to story to good heights.
½ March 16, 2012
Some awesomely cheesy moments here but overall I actually liked it quite a bit. I would classify it as a Mormon Caper.