Metroland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Metroland Reviews

nelsonpickens
½ May 26, 2010
An interesting movie with an interesting view on modern western culture. Its a bit like an unfunny version of "You Me and Dupree", it has the same structure of a wild friend lifting the curtain of the suburb lifestyle
November 19, 2009
A really well done movie with strong performances and visual style. Christian Bale played a great angsty working man looking back on his past. Emily Watson also did a nice job playing such a sweet, yet controlling wife.
December 11, 2007
Good film, good writing and performances by Christian Bale and Emily Watson.
½ April 10, 2009
Boring. I was hoping for American Psycho, but all I got was Newsies. :) Seriously though, it feels like it was made in late 80's/early 90's, but it's 1999. Especially the saxophone in the soundtrack.
½ December 15, 2008
I will confess that I watched this movie purely cause I love Christian Bale. I loved the theme of questioning someone happiness.
May 11, 2008
Good cast. The story doesn't always work, but it does often enough to be interesting. I liked the score. I wish Emily Watson had been in it more, she was great. Well written but it's just not very memorable.
August 25, 2007
Sexy movie. Kind of the thinking British man's "She's Having a Baby" but "She's Having a Baby" was definitely funnier and better.
March 27, 2007
I don't exactly recommend it... but I don't know that I was able to appreciate it at the age I watched it.
February 4, 2007
I am a huge fan of Christian Bale, in fact he is my favorite actor off all time, but like I've said before his performances are usually better than the movie. And Metroland is no exception, the film, although it has good intentions, ultimately fails to resonate with the audience by not being blunt enough with the subject matter. I mean who wouldn't be afraid of responsibilities that come along with marriage and children? These are all understandable emotions that the film seems to present but later seems to shy away from as if it doesn't care anymore. It presents a good premise, Christian Bale plays Chris, a young thirty year old who has been married for a couple of years and made a quaint home for his family in his hometown, which he vowed never to come back. He receives a call in the middle of the night, from an old friend Tony, who shared the same views about life as Chris, when they were younger.

Chris has moved on with his life, and matured, but Tony doesn't seem to wanna grow up, ever. Instead he wants to bring Chris down with him, so he can have a friend while he goes on his journey to emptiness and despair. The acting isn't terrible, in all fairness it's the high point of the film and argueably the only reason to see this movie in the first place, but on the other hand, the erotically arousing sex scenes, which are profuse could be another and justifiable reason as well. Overall an uninteresting look at bliss during an interesting period of time and an interesting view of the past during a turbulent marriage.

:rotten: 1.5/4 stars
October 22, 2013
I must rent Metroland on Video and DVD. :-)
½ March 18, 2013
I liked this film that has a couple analyzing their middle class existence compared to the freedom of youth and coming up with the rather uncinematic view that "I am content." In other words, the ordinary life has a lot to be said for it.This view is a message not always looked upon with sympathy in Hollywood, not since the seventies anyway. Rather refreshing to see it again.
½ May 28, 2012
I don't know why but I obsess about this movie. It's not that good but it makes me want to go to Paris and find Christian Bale and marry him and have hundreds of babies. But I'd probably feel like that without ever seeing this movie. This movie gets two thumb up because of course I want to see Bale speak French. Très sexy!
September 29, 2012
This is one that I can safely pass on watching.
½ September 4, 2012
I watched this movie because was @ Venice film Fest in 1997 so i thought this must be a cool movie. i just found it not very original, and Emily Watson is boring. But I loved the scenes shoot on the train and the ones in the parisian attic
July 23, 2012
Another movie I would like to see.
½ June 1, 2012
Sex, Lies and then more sex and lies!! Lee Ross breathes life into the Iogian-like Toni but Christian Bale seals the deal for me. His innocence, his confusion and his intensity brings this film together. I didn't quite like the ending but I thought Emily Watson was surprisingly skillful in breaking the Cliche of a Married Middle-Class English Woman!
May 22, 2012
Strangely current, isn't it?
½ March 30, 2012