97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Freakishly clever animation!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 16, 2009
Someone is listening to your thoughts
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 27, 2011
If you think the present day is bad enough, then try 2024 when Roger is a drone in call center hell, Northern European Division. That's even before he goes home to his small apartment and his loveless marriage. And then there is the voice which keeps him up all hours. To make matters even worse, his bicycle is wrecked the following morning, forcing him to take the subway. On the way to work, to his great surprise, he spots a woman who looks like the spokesmodel for a popular brand of shampoo. Figuring he still has enough time to get to work, he gives into his inner stalker and follows her to Stalingrad(!?!).

First, "Metropia" has an intriguing visual style for an animated film, not only in mostly shades of grey with brief flashes of color, but also characters whose features are photorealistic while moving awkwardly. And like any self-respecting geek, I love a good dystopia. The problems arise out of a muddled plot and a need to make statements which go off in all directions at once.(For example, the game show is too openly cruel to be taken seriously.) Oddly enough, the story seems to have been written by people who have never ridden a subway in their lives, just observed it from a great distance and took pity on the poor souls who rely on it. For example, if one wanted to realistically critique the subway, then one would start with a definite sardine aesthetic and then move onto delays. For the majority of us who do ride mass transit every day, it is not so bad when we have something to distract us from the tedium which this movie was not so terribly helpful with yesterday.

September 2, 2013
This Swedish adult (not the type just coming to your mind) animated science-fiction movie is directed by Tarik Saleh. The interesting but very simplistic screenplay was written by Fredrik Edin, Stig Larsson, and Tarik Saleh after a story by Tarik Saleh, Fredrik Edin and Martin Hultman. I loved the animation technique which uses actual photographs been altered and heavily stylized in a computer program, to finally be animated. The visual style is inspired by the works of Terry Gilliam, Roy Andersson and Yuriy Norshteyn but it kept its originality.

I will say that Orwellian element are obvious in the story about terrifying Europe where the world is running out of oil, and a private underground network is created by joining all the various undergrounds together underneath Europe. The main character is Roger (Vincent Gallo) from Stockholm and he avoids the underground because he finds it disturbing. He uses a banned bicycle for transportation but soon things are starting to happen and he has no option but to use the underground. His problem is that sometimes when he is too near the transport network, he hears a strange voice in his head...

I liked the idea that ordinary people spotted on the streets were used as models for the characters. The main character Roger is based on a chef who worked at a restaurant in Stockholm where the Atmo (the developers of the story) employees were regulars, and Nina was found in a make-up store. Vincent Gallo accepted his part as the lead voice actor after having seen 30 seconds of finished animation as well as hearing that German actor Udo Kier, of whom Gallo was a fan, already was attached to the project.

As a movie I enjoyed it, even with the lack of effective narration, mainly because of the dark toned photography with a unique look and excellent collage of music, animation and suspense. Metropia has been awarded the prestigious "Future Film Festival Digital Award 2009" at the 66th Venice International Film Festival, recognized as "In perfect harmony with the story". I hope you'll have a chance to enjoy it.
Daniel D

May 5, 2013
Metropia is a Swedish animated film which uses a style seen more in video games than in movies, in fact it's the first feature film that I've seen made in this lifelike animation. It was stunning in visual animation, and even hard to imagine that it's all animated. If it's worth nothing outside of these techniques, it's still worth more than most movies of this nature. The premise is that of the novel 1984, a uniform society, with no seasons, and television being a source of control. A huge weak point of this film was the awful voice acting. It was weak and not in sync with lip motions, it took away drastically from the feel. The plot and climax were mediocre, but I feel it still created some tension and dilemma. It's a one time watch, but I would love to see this animation be built on in the future.
MOVEECRITIC
MOVEECRITIC

May 13, 2010
Three stars on the creative concept of this film. Animation is rapidly morphing as the progression of technology avails itself. Metropia gives evidence that the works of visual art are unlimited, inevitable.
August 11, 2013
State of the art animation that not only blurred my suspension of disbelief but altered my perspectives for visual arts. Moody, dark, atmospheric drama about the voices in your head and the take down of a top government project. All set in the age of bleak future of northern European. Thank you Sweden!
jjb3332003
December 1, 2012
The Moby-like main character and Juliette Lewis' annoying voice only added to the pain of watching this prententious crap.
January 21, 2012
Metropia is an amusing mix of animation, anarchism, and nihilism. Unlike other recent animated films, the drawing style actually enhances the atmosphere of hopelessness in the story.
January 11, 2011
The only thing that seemed to bother me for the movie was that the animated technique reminded me of a "jib jab" animated clip. I expected them to break out into some hilarious song w/ GWB popping out somewhere.

However, in all seriousness, this is a really original film and approach to a movie. I did like the animation and look of the film outside of my "jib jab" correlation. The movie seems to get off to a slow start and then towards the end it gets more interesting. The two main bad guys were well done and the main characters were interesting enough. The storyline and plot was ok. I guess the metro and other aspects where there for control more than anything. That and profits I guess.

The only other thing that seemed to bug me was the stupid reality game show they had. It really made no sense, it was idiotic and a bit too cartoonish for me. Oh, and I also liked that they seem to poke fun of environmentalists...with the environmental movement becoming a religion and the environmental claims made in face of a fascist/corporate scheme. So all in all an ok movie with some really interesting creative twists.
April 18, 2014
Mindblowingly unique animation, so-so story
October 26, 2013
It is always unfortunate when a story lets down a movie's cinematography. In the case of Swedish movie Metropia, the stunning animation and completely out there idea is let down by the overall execution of the narrative. For such a unique story i was often bored and more often distracted by sub standard dialogue. More than a little disappointing.

September 2, 2013

July 28, 2013
It's dark, it's gritty, it's dystopic and you can tell all of that by just the animation alone.
John W.
June 11, 2013
Dark, gritty animation that dives headfirst into the uncanny valley. Unfortunately, the stunning (but uncomfortable) visuals can't make up for a lack of story depth. The near-future dystopia certainly has more great stories to tell, this just isn't one of them.
November 27, 2012
While the animation style is both interesting and beautiful and the voice over work is really good, the story is mediocre and the ending leaves you more confused then content.
November 22, 2012
Very solid film. Awesome animation(both in character and production design... and a great color pallet) and a really cool "paranoia" film. I would love to see this done live action as I would recommend this to anyone interested in paranoia-type-thrillers.
May 1, 2012
The graphics are enthralling though the pace of the movie is real slow. I think its made only for LSD addicts. Lingering scenes and slow actions, Its plot is good but in between you do feel to just switch it off and see something else.
August 25, 2012
Pretty, but confusing and inconclusive.
July 19, 2012
Visually and narratively unappealing. Ultimately feels like a plot that failed as a live action movie and they hoped a dour monochrome animation would somehow enhance the sell-ability. Again, using a named cast instead of talented voice-actors leaves these puppets twice as hollow as the plot that wishes it had an ounce of insight that Brazil & 1984 have in buckets.