—— The Identical Sep 05

iLeo

December 25, 2007
A favorite.
December 4, 2011
I want to see it--if it looks dull, forget it.
NuBz18
August 11, 2008
[i][b]The Love Letter[/b][/i] - Little more than a predictable love fantasy, this one has a few cute moments and a few hilarious ones from the always-funny Ellen DeGeneres. The film, though, at only 88 minutes, is a bit long. [b]** (out of ****) C

[i]Maid in Manhattan[/i][/b] - Silly update of the [i]Cinderella[/i] story with J. Lo as a maid in a Manhattan hotel who falls for a lazy Ralph Fiennes. Boring! [b]*1/2 (out of ****) D+

[i]Mambo Italiano[/i][/b] - Silly, cliched gay love story. Paul Sorvino is fun, though. [b]*1/2 (out of ****) C-

[i]Miami Rhapsody[/i][/b] - Cliches, cliches, cliches for sure, but there are some really funny moments and some good performances. [b]**1/2 (out of ****) B-

[i]My Best Friend's Wedding[/i][/b] - I love this movie. The only reason it's not a 10/10 is because of some of the slapstick humor, which is taken a bit far at times. Otherwise, it's a fabulously acted, wonderfully atypical romance. I fell in love with it. [b]***1/2 (ou tof ****) A-[/b]
jeffaudra
January 29, 2005
This movie is one that I have remembered for years as a bad movie. I do not remember any details other than there is a wedding reception & drugs (I think).

My criticism at the time was that the time I spent watching it is time out of my life I will never get back. That is rare for me with movies (I can find a reason why I like most any movie).

Unfortunately, I would have to watch this movie again to write a specific review. I am not willing to do that yet because of the above paragraph, but I wanted to record this as a bad movie. I saw Gigli and am wondering if this movie was really better? My tolerances for movies has changed over the years and I think I now tend to be more critical based on what I gain (or lose) by viewing the material.
Alfod
January 15, 2005
Best in Show: Sarah Jessica Parker
One for the future: Antonio Banderas (Certainly NOT Naomi Campbell)
Stand-out scene: Phonecall in restroom
Brainer or no-brainer: Brainer
Stands up to one viewing or repeated?: Repeated
DVD commentary any good?: n/a

TV
New York director-writer David Frankel is behind this talky and watchable romcom that has more than a hint of Woody Allen about it. Sarah Jessica Parker takes the lead as Gwyn Marcos, a TV writer whose relationship with a zoologist seems to be going somewhere when he proposes. As she assess her own situation she learns that nearly all of her family members are involved in extra-marital trists, from her mother and father through to her sister (who actually has been using her flat for her encounters with an old school flame - eurgh!) Her mother (Mia Farrow) has been carrying on with her grandmother's male nurse (a smouldering Antonio Banderas). In a spectacularly bad piece of acting, Naomi Campbell makes an appearance as the model girlfriend who turns the head (and whose head is turned) by Gywn's philandering brother. A meaty stew that grips for its entire length, Mia Farrow's presence underlines the 'Woody Allen Lite' feel to the movie, which is no bad thing.
jazza923
August 8, 2004
IT TRIES SO HARD TO BE A WOODY ALLEN FILM!!! EVEN THE MUSIC! NOT BAD IN IT'S OWN RIGHT, HAS SOME GOOD LAUGHS.