Miami Rhapsody - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miami Rhapsody Reviews

December 25, 2007
A favorite.
December 4, 2011
I want to see it--if it looks dull, forget it.
August 11, 2008
[i][b]The Love Letter[/b][/i] - Little more than a predictable love fantasy, this one has a few cute moments and a few hilarious ones from the always-funny Ellen DeGeneres. The film, though, at only 88 minutes, is a bit long. [b]** (out of ****) C

[i]Maid in Manhattan[/i][/b] - Silly update of the [i]Cinderella[/i] story with J. Lo as a maid in a Manhattan hotel who falls for a lazy Ralph Fiennes. Boring! [b]*1/2 (out of ****) D+

[i]Mambo Italiano[/i][/b] - Silly, cliched gay love story. Paul Sorvino is fun, though. [b]*1/2 (out of ****) C-

[i]Miami Rhapsody[/i][/b] - Cliches, cliches, cliches for sure, but there are some really funny moments and some good performances. [b]**1/2 (out of ****) B-

[i]My Best Friend's Wedding[/i][/b] - I love this movie. The only reason it's not a 10/10 is because of some of the slapstick humor, which is taken a bit far at times. Otherwise, it's a fabulously acted, wonderfully atypical romance. I fell in love with it. [b]***1/2 (ou tof ****) A-[/b]
½ January 29, 2005
This movie is one that I have remembered for years as a bad movie. I do not remember any details other than there is a wedding reception & drugs (I think).

My criticism at the time was that the time I spent watching it is time out of my life I will never get back. That is rare for me with movies (I can find a reason why I like most any movie).

Unfortunately, I would have to watch this movie again to write a specific review. I am not willing to do that yet because of the above paragraph, but I wanted to record this as a bad movie. I saw Gigli and am wondering if this movie was really better? My tolerances for movies has changed over the years and I think I now tend to be more critical based on what I gain (or lose) by viewing the material.
January 15, 2005
Best in Show: Sarah Jessica Parker
One for the future: Antonio Banderas (Certainly NOT Naomi Campbell)
Stand-out scene: Phonecall in restroom
Brainer or no-brainer: Brainer
Stands up to one viewing or repeated?: Repeated
DVD commentary any good?: n/a

New York director-writer David Frankel is behind this talky and watchable romcom that has more than a hint of Woody Allen about it. Sarah Jessica Parker takes the lead as Gwyn Marcos, a TV writer whose relationship with a zoologist seems to be going somewhere when he proposes. As she assess her own situation she learns that nearly all of her family members are involved in extra-marital trists, from her mother and father through to her sister (who actually has been using her flat for her encounters with an old school flame - eurgh!) Her mother (Mia Farrow) has been carrying on with her grandmother's male nurse (a smouldering Antonio Banderas). In a spectacularly bad piece of acting, Naomi Campbell makes an appearance as the model girlfriend who turns the head (and whose head is turned) by Gywn's philandering brother. A meaty stew that grips for its entire length, Mia Farrow's presence underlines the 'Woody Allen Lite' feel to the movie, which is no bad thing.
August 8, 2004