Average Rating: 6.5/10
Reviews Counted: 36
Fresh: 22 | Rotten: 14
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 6.6/10
Critic Reviews: 7
Fresh: 4 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 2.7/5
User Ratings: 44,899
While one would imagine that the average New Yorker would be used to dealing with bugs after years of apartment dwelling, a scientific experiment gone wrong results in an insect that even Raid can't handle in this sci-fi/horror thriller. In Manhattan, cockroaches are spreading a deadly disease that is claiming hundreds of the city's children, so entomologist Susan Tyler (Mira Sorvino) uses genetic engineering techniques to create what she and her colleague (and husband) Peter Mann (Jeremy
Aug 22, 1997 Wide
Apr 21, 1998
Watch It Now
It comes off smarter and creepier than I recall the original, less about scares than a sustained atmosphere of eerie unease and skittery threats.
Viewers will be forgiven for wanting to rush next door and douse their neighbor with RAID.
While a visual treat, Mimic is exactly that, a film which mimics other styles and plot elements. In this case Alien and David Cronenberg's The Fly and Videodrome.
An oddly conventional work for a terminally inventive director, Mimic receives a satisfactory transfer from Lionsgate and a bounty of strong extras.
Del Toro's excision of 95% of the "second-unit crap" foisted on him makes this cut a more subtle work.
It's clear now that Del Toro's favorite themes and symbols were already in place, with the vast underground setting, machinery, and man's interference in the supernatural order of things -- not to mention a talent for pure terror.
A creature feature imbued with beauty and elegance thanks to del Toro's graceful and gothic sensibilities, Mimic makes the most of suspense and atmosphere.
Del Toro does not make Tyler a symbol of science gone out of control or of science for greed, instead he makes her a scientist who in doing good has created a monster and has to live with that guilt.
Del Toro consegue criar alguns bons momentos de tensão e o filme conta com um design de produção bastante acima da média para exemplares do gênero. Ainda assim, a história óbvia, típica de uma produção B, resulta em um longa descartável.
- Manny: Play them crazy spoons boy!
- Josh: Funny shoes! Funny face! Funny place!
- Josh: This is what I love about my job. I get to travel, see the world, meet new cultures. I mean, it's all bacterial, but, hey, what the fuck?
- Susan Tyler: Sometimes an insect will even mimic its predator.
- Peter Mann: Leonard, have you ever seen anything like this before?
- Leonard: Why you asking me if I've seen some shit like this before? Do I look like I've seen some shit like this before? Hell, no I a'int never seen no shit like this before. Who the fuck would wanna climb up one of these walls and hang one of these? Musta been a big elephant-ass motherfucker.
- Dr. Gates: [on insect's inner motivation] Can I eat it or will it eat me?
There are no discussion threads for Mimic yet.
Latest News on Mimic
November 14, 2008:Five Favorite Films with Guillermo del Toro
RT caught up with Hellboy II director Guillermo del Toro at the DVD/Blu-ray Launch Event for Hellboy...
July 13, 2008:Guillermo del Toro - RT's Dinner and the Movies Interview
We have an extended chat with the director of Cronos, Pan's Labyrinth and this week's Hellboy II to...
July 12, 2008:Exclusive: del Toro on Why Wind in the Willows Went Away
Following revelations earlier in our exclusive Dinner and the Movies conversation with Hellboy 2...
- Mimic (DE)
- Mimic (UK)