Monday

Monday Reviews

skactopus
skactopus

November 17, 2007
"A simple funeral turns a man's world topsy turvy." A simple tag line for a simple sounding film. When I first read the different plots written for this film all of them made me think the same thing. A story that has potential. Well, once again Hiroyuki Tanaka, AKA Sabu, is able to bring out that potential to make a good movie out of nothing. Similarly to Tarantino films, if this film was done by somebody else, it would turn to rubbish.The basic concept of the story is nothing spectacular by any means. But, Sabu once again uses good dialogue, characters, and cinematography to tell the story nicely. Those of you that are expecting a fast-paced entertaining film will be disappointed. This is an entertaining film, but it is really slow. What really keeps this film from becoming boring is the events and characters that show up throughout the entirety of the film. The only real let-down of this flick is the ending, in my opinion. It is good, but it left me wanting just a little bit more. At least they make good use of my favorite weapon, the shotgun, throughout the second half of the film.The acting is pretty good as well. Shinichi Tsutumi puts on quite a performance as the lead. He does everything when he needs to. Drama and comedy. He is a popular face in Sabu films.This film is deserving of a watch, especially for upcoming and even current directors and writers.
engrymfilm
December 19, 2008
This is a simple story done in a perfect fashion. The main character tries to recount what's happened in the last two days of his life. Much commentary, out-of-nowhere ideas and slick editing ensue.
aifan
June 22, 2004
This one is strange. Is a comedy with some Tarantino touches that builds very slowly, being part of the fun exactly the morosity in the proceedings. Sometimes has some of that post-joke humour of the first Austin Powers, laughing at people laughing for more time that they are supossed to. I coincide with most reviewers that this film is like nothing that you have seen before, a kind of independent-student film that is consistent until the end, and somewhat crazy (but all -or almost all- makes logic!). After the first twenty minutes (a very nice set-piece) you start to wonder where everything is going, and you stay seated for more. Every shot is calculated, and the director plays with genre expectations every time that he can (you know, when you say "now, that must happen, hey, c'mon, happen! hey, what's happening?"). Probably better with some film students friends around.