Mondo Cane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mondo Cane Reviews

flixsterman
½ January 21, 2009
1962 "shockumentary" that's lost a little of it's pop over the years but still stands up as bizarre entertainment. The intent was to attract western audiences with an odd mix of unusual customs, cuisine, and curios. There's a woman suckling a piglet, a tribe that worships airplanes, people eating dogs, people eating snakes, sea turtles dying of radiation exposure, fishermen torturing sharks, the list goes on and on. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to make a film like this today (thanks to political correctness and PETA). How ironic that this film about oddities has become an oddity itself.
½ November 10, 2011
Love it or Hate it, I liked the fresh idea but disliked the commercial advertising of the film. It's interesting to learn about the mysticism in Italy
September 12, 2007
I hope I'm not sick for saying so but this film is really hilarious. I think it's a great comment on western society which is where all comedy of the film comes from. There are some astonishing things that happen in it too and it's a curiosity because of it's odd documentary 60s feel.
October 20, 2012
This "documentary" of us humans; our rituals, ceremonies, etc is interesting at parts but has very little purpose. The shocking moments are pretty tame in this day and age, the pacing is slow, and the whole concept just feels extremely forced. That being said, there are moments that shine, mainly in the filmmaking. The music is by far the best part and kind of carries the movie, also the cinematography is pretty sweet, there's definitely an abundance of cool shots and fascinating sequences, but this movie is so random and half-assedly jumbled together, that it feels the directors tried so hard to be super artsy instead of informative.

Any way I spin it, the movie is definitively in a middle ground. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just kind of there and as these filmmakers have their "journey", I have my own to experience what movies have to offer. In the end, this one doesn't impress.

PROS: Great soundtrack, interesting views of the world, cringe worthy moments
CONS: Has no real purpose, very slow paced, convoluted
August 5, 2011
A cinematic sideshow, let us mock and judge weird cultures from all over the world, I guess? I was supposed to be shocked or something, but we covered weirder shit in freshman-level anthropology.
March 23, 2011
I guess this was supposed to be a really shocking doc for its time, but it wasn't as shocking as advertised. And the doc seemed more like a good excuse for the filmmaker to travel to a lot of interesting places. It is really just suppose to be a slice of life for the fringe that isn't seem by regular society, but in this age of the internet, we've all seen videos of drunk people stumbling through the streets or bar fights that this isn't needed anymore. But it is interesting that they have villages with a bunch of people missing limbs from shark attacks, but maybe they should have spent more time on things that interesting instead of the bar scene of Germany. But, I guess this is "landmark", and I can appreciate that.
August 5, 2010
I Felt like I was in a class room watching an education video !!!
It Starts with Some Man dragging a dog allong a fence ..
On The other side are many snareling viciouse doggs
He throws the dog in with the other dogs and they attack him .. the narrator has A calm storytelling voice lol
They die chiks for easter .. tribal wimen let pigs suck on their titties ..
they stuff gees with food for flagra..
they show dogs peeing on other dogs graves and Some grandma doing funny excorsizes I was rolling on the floor during that scene hahahhahah
then a navy ship and sexy 50 style girls driving around it in a boat throwing kisses .. .. they feed cows beer and massage them ..
YES The Slaughter of the pigs for the Roast is Graphic But If you Eat meat That is what happends ..
And The China Peeps Eating Dogs ..
That is a small look at what is in this film...
You rilly have to like OLD SCHOOL
Documentaries to enjoy this sooo
I would not say to rush and put this in your list unless u want to see a classic version of strange things that happend 50 years ago !!
February 6, 2009
an interesting and absurd study in xenophobia. more fascinating as history of prejudice than anything else. i personally couldn't watch a lot of the animal torture/death scenes.
October 28, 2008
it bored the piss out of me and my sibling. we passed out. good beginning. then it just got dull. the female islanders hunting men for mating was hilarious though!
½ July 15, 2008
Even 2.5 is generous in this case... a rather retarded film with an adolescent narrator. Africa Addio was much more interesting.
½ March 30, 2008
Near Mondo perfection. The only flaw is how tedious it eventually becomes between scenes of carnage, which is why the genre became more and more violent. Fortunately, it avoids the seething racism Jacopetti immerses into with Africa addio and Addio zio Tom.
September 19, 2007
One movie I really have a hard time watching. The animal deaths just really disturb me, personally. That said, the commentary is clever, and funny, and of course valid, because the world is a sick place.
May 9, 2007
Unpleasant and cruel in it's presentation of the cruelty of man, a damning indictment of man being a civilized creature, not!
½ June 11, 2006
Holy Cow! I can not begin to imagine what it was like the view this film when was first released in the mid - sixties. A "Mondo" film is sort of an expose' on the oddities of society. This first entry in the mondo series drew parralells between "modern" society and "primitive" society. The film is actually a thinly veiled piece of exploitative sleaze, but the constant use of the song "more" and great cinematagraphy sets it apart. Challenging, disturbing, and even funny. Check it out!
½ March 19, 2015
When I first went to see Mondo Cane, I expected a Gore Fest. The movie that spawned a whole generation of films that relied heavily on the exploitation of graphic blood and violence could not be less than a carnival of massacre.

I was wrong.

This movie doesn't have as much hack'n'slash scenes as I thought it would have but it is much, much more disturbing that I ever dreamt it would be.

The great art of the Mondo movement is not to be visually shocking; it is to be quintessentially horryfying. Every single scene is built with such a sardonic objectivity, such a cold scientificism that lets you wondering about the true awful nature of the human race.

This movie is a masterpiece of misanthopy.
½ June 23, 2013
A shockumentary that gives you more yawns than shocks
October 20, 2012

PROS: Great soundtrack, interesting views of the world, cringe worthy moments
CONS: Has no real purpose, very slow paced, convoluted
September 10, 2012
Em "Mundo Cão", os diretores mostram costumes e tradições bizarras e no processo revelam o que há de pior no ser humano como a violência e necessidade de destruir a cultura do próximo.