Mondovino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mondovino Reviews

½ January 15, 2009
I didn't find this film as engaging as it could have been. The thing I find most memorable about this film was the utterly atrocious camerawork and the puzzling editing: why leave in the footage of a servant interrupting the interview? The subject matter at the core is interesting, though: How, with the advent of globalization, big foreign wineries are buying [muscling] out family-owned ventures and the power that a handful of wine critics weild worldwide in wine consumption and production. I think that the filmmaking manages to cut through the fog of pretention that surrounds wine, but the characters themselves get mired and bogged down in it. I also think this movie's too long.
Harlequin68
May 9, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Mondovino" is a documentary about the global wine industry, specifically about the Mondavi vineyards' attempts to expand into Europe. The first attempt failed in France with help from the locals and the Commmunist mayor(further proof why more Communists should be elected to office) but later succeeded in Tuscany. What is at issue here is the danger of wines everywhere becoming uniform and losing their individuality because of consultants and critics forcing their tastes on everybody else. In the movie, this is referred to as globalization but I prefer the term corporatization.(In the film, one person compares this to a supermarket putting smaller stores out of business.)[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Mondovino" is an informative film which does touch on some important issues but also could have been helped by a narrator to assist those of us uninitiated across three continents. It does not help that the movie is filmed by someone who was apparently more interested in filming dogs than human beings.(Bonus points for including a Basset Hound, though.)[/font]
January 27, 2012
Very entertaining documentary on the wine industry. Here we see alcohol's royalty. I have always been fascinated to learn of the Mondavi family in particular. Good work.
January 13, 2013
I really enjoyed seeing this recently on TV. The more you drink wine the more you realize there are basically two major apporaches to wine. Interventionalist winemaking which often results in more sameness amongst wines regardless of region and even grapes vs. non interventional winemaking where the winemaker gets out of the way and lets the vineyard's location and the grape variety speak more transparently. I'm a fan of the latter. Want to know what real Pinot Noir should taste like? Try a btl from Mt Eden Vineyards in CA or from Robert Chevillon in Burgundy France. Want real Chardonnay, try almost any btl from Chablis France.
January 27, 2008
The world of vino hadn't been so fascinating since Sideways. Jonathan Nossiter's fierce and funny doc focuses on the wine industry, how it went global, pushed speed over maturation and went into mass production overdrive. It's a scenario that can also apply to any number of other industries. Mondovino is potently provocative and a genuine find.
June 7, 2009
Way too long, and way too unfocused. The main conflict in the film doesn't appear until 30 minutes in... most of the movie is focused on France and Napa and then they bring in footage from Argentina towards the end... odd. It tries to cover way to much ground and in the process loses the most compelling bits of the story.
½ April 16, 2008
The scope was fantastic and the voice was well pronounced, as well as subtle... however it was terribly, terribly edited and lasted way too long.
February 11, 2008
This movie was spectacular but is obviously not intended for people with short attention spans. If you are cool buying your vino in a box at the W store, you won't find interviews with some of the most honored small business people in the world very captivating. However, if you've ever tasted Mas Daumas Gassac or been lucky enough to taste H. Montille's wines (before his son took over) you will relish every word and be touched by the emotional connection that exists in the world where wine is made with honor, dignity and a sense of committment to the future, not for profit margins and by pencil pushers.
I'd say open up one of the great red Syrah blends from the Languedoc while watching this movie the first time and go for a baby Beaune the second time you watch it. By the 3rd time, you'll want a glass of Champagne (from a small grower not anything from the L. Vuitton stable) or a lovely Limoux and a notepad to jot down some of the quotes.
my favorite?
[b][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]?The wines that make you dream, that transcend time? they bring youth instead of wrinkles. For millennia, wine has been a nearly religious relationship between man and nature, with the earth, the live earth ? free of synthetic products- and the weather. A great wine springs from love, humility; a communion with the spiritual ? with earth and time. It takes a poet to make a great wine?. Aime? Goubert[/color][/font][/b]
½ May 25, 2005
After hearing [b]Pop Goes The World[/b] today at Sushiville, I had to download it, along with [b]The Safety Dance[/b], which is my actual favorite song of theirs. I'm listening to both now.
December 8, 2013
This documentary is fascinating , very well done, incredibly interesting & funny, it shows how wine is being made , consumed & talked about in the entire world. No matter is it's being done by farmers in chile or A big Corporate from the Nappa Valley, you will love this tremendous study of the wine industry in our society in the 21st century.
½ May 19, 2013
Bordeaux, Napa, Florença, Toscana, Cafayate (Argentina) e Pernambuco. Através destas regiões o diretor Jonathan Nossiter apresenta os caminhos do vinho e a globalização dos sabores. Histórias de grandes vinicultores como a família Mondavi, o maior produtor de vinho da California, e também de pequenos como a família De Montilli, que luta para manter suas terras e as características de seu vinho.
January 13, 2013
January 27, 2012
January 27, 2008
½ June 13, 2010
certainly makes you look at wine spectator, robert parker, and the whole "fine wine" industry in a different light.
June 11, 2010
This is a fascinating film that starts off seemingly about the joys of wine and pretty soon turning into a bit of an indictment of the global wine industry. One is tempted to say â??who cares, it is just wineâ?? but the filmmakers keep it interesting and the pacing is effective. The film is definitely biased and some of the editing is incredibly manipulative (more than I could ever imagine for a film about wine) but they do, to their credit, show the humanness of those they support as well as those they are attempting to criticize. The whole thing is fascinating even if you don't care at all about wine, because it is essentially about the same thing all modern stories of so-called â??globalizationâ?? are about: local, human producers/creators versus large, seemingly faceless and seemingly inhuman companies, and the people who support them.
November 8, 2009
Great film, so well made, jumping from one aspect of wine making & business to the other, with interviews connected to each other, taking us all around the world of wine...just great and so interesting.
½ October 25, 2009
Pretty impressive. I had no idea of so many facts pointed out in this documentary. Very interesting. I've always enjoyed listening to old knowledgable people. This movie features a lot of them.
½ August 25, 2009
documentary was well made with plenty of interviews with the crucial stakeholders...from a small 1 hectar farm in Bordeaux to hundreds of hectars in Napa. I felt a bit disgusted to drink the new world wine now.