97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Mondovino Reviews

Emily A

January 15, 2009
I didn't find this film as engaging as it could have been. The thing I find most memorable about this film was the utterly atrocious camerawork and the puzzling editing: why leave in the footage of a servant interrupting the interview? The subject matter at the core is interesting, though: How, with the advent of globalization, big foreign wineries are buying [muscling] out family-owned ventures and the power that a handful of wine critics weild worldwide in wine consumption and production. I think that the filmmaking manages to cut through the fog of pretention that surrounds wine, but the characters themselves get mired and bogged down in it. I also think this movie's too long.

May 9, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Mondovino" is a documentary about the global wine industry, specifically about the Mondavi vineyards' attempts to expand into Europe. The first attempt failed in France with help from the locals and the Commmunist mayor(further proof why more Communists should be elected to office) but later succeeded in Tuscany. What is at issue here is the danger of wines everywhere becoming uniform and losing their individuality because of consultants and critics forcing their tastes on everybody else. In the movie, this is referred to as globalization but I prefer the term corporatization.(In the film, one person compares this to a supermarket putting smaller stores out of business.)[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Mondovino" is an informative film which does touch on some important issues but also could have been helped by a narrator to assist those of us uninitiated across three continents. It does not help that the movie is filmed by someone who was apparently more interested in filming dogs than human beings.(Bonus points for including a Basset Hound, though.)[/font]
John B

January 27, 2012
Very entertaining documentary on the wine industry. Here we see alcohol's royalty. I have always been fascinated to learn of the Mondavi family in particular. Good work.
craig v.
January 13, 2013
I really enjoyed seeing this recently on TV. The more you drink wine the more you realize there are basically two major apporaches to wine. Interventionalist winemaking which often results in more sameness amongst wines regardless of region and even grapes vs. non interventional winemaking where the winemaker gets out of the way and lets the vineyard's location and the grape variety speak more transparently. I'm a fan of the latter. Want to know what real Pinot Noir should taste like? Try a btl from Mt Eden Vineyards in CA or from Robert Chevillon in Burgundy France. Want real Chardonnay, try almost any btl from Chablis France.
Kate I.
June 7, 2009
Way too long, and way too unfocused. The main conflict in the film doesn't appear until 30 minutes in... most of the movie is focused on France and Napa and then they bring in footage from Argentina towards the end... odd. It tries to cover way to much ground and in the process loses the most compelling bits of the story.
J R.
March 13, 2009
You may have to be a wine geek to like this movie but I found it fascinating.
bellabev
February 11, 2008
This movie was spectacular but is obviously not intended for people with short attention spans. If you are cool buying your vino in a box at the W store, you won't find interviews with some of the most honored small business people in the world very captivating. However, if you've ever tasted Mas Daumas Gassac or been lucky enough to taste H. Montille's wines (before his son took over) you will relish every word and be touched by the emotional connection that exists in the world where wine is made with honor, dignity and a sense of committment to the future, not for profit margins and by pencil pushers.
I'd say open up one of the great red Syrah blends from the Languedoc while watching this movie the first time and go for a baby Beaune the second time you watch it. By the 3rd time, you'll want a glass of Champagne (from a small grower not anything from the L. Vuitton stable) or a lovely Limoux and a notepad to jot down some of the quotes.
my favorite?
[b][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]?The wines that make you dream, that transcend time? they bring youth instead of wrinkles. For millennia, wine has been a nearly religious relationship between man and nature, with the earth, the live earth ? free of synthetic products- and the weather. A great wine springs from love, humility; a communion with the spiritual ? with earth and time. It takes a poet to make a great wine?. Aime? Goubert[/color][/font][/b]
Cinemania
January 14, 2008
If you ever suspected there was way too much hype to wine - this movie proves it.

May 9, 2006
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
Urizen
February 21, 2006
Mondovino

It'a about the golobalisation of wine. Surpisingly, it's not boring but it is pretty depressing. The somewhat elistist traditional wine growers of France and Italy are completely crushed by ginormous dead inside corporations. The new world wines are made from young vines. The old world wines are made from old vines. The new world can't make wine like the old world so they CONVINCE the world that that's what wine is supposed to taste like. People with money believe what their told and buy only new world wine. Old world wine that has been made for CENTURIES is dismissed as crap by people that have been making wine for five years. It is slanted but some of the shit that comes out of these people's mouths you just can't write. See the old aristocratic famililes in Europe who have allied themselves with the corporations (nouveau rich) and hear them refer to them as good 'workers' (if you're not an aristocrat you're a peasant) and describe their own ancestors as followers of fascism (but 'only the good parts') Listen to the corporations fantasise about growing wine on other planets 'Wouldn't that be something??' Watch as the winemaker for a old winehouse is referred to as the 'Technical Director' because whatever it is he makes now it sure as hell aint wine!!!! Angrifying!!

Punch Drunk Love
Um. Yeah. IT was pretty psycho. Very skillfully directed. I felt highly tense and insane in parts of this film. The juddery camera movements and weird sounds really added to the 'on the edge' feelings of Barry. I kind of related to him a little bit but I am more abusive than him so I don't have to smash stuff up. Well, not as of yet. His sisters were [i]hideous,[/i] if they were my relatives they would be dead and I would be in jail. I found Emily Watson's character a bit weird..Her predatory delight in his psychotic neediness was disturbing..It was odd to see the female play an utterly emotionally dominant role like that, sexy and scary and well, different. So. hmmm.
Jagooah
July 15, 2005
This is a great and informative documentary on the world of wine-making. I admit that it will probably only be enjoyed by people who truly love their wine as the film does tend to be idiosyncratical and - let's be fair - biased in favour of "authentic" wines against more "mass produced" wines. But if you already believe what the film tries to demonstrate (i.e. that great wines are great because they are linked to a culture, a people, and a particular place), then you will spend a good couple of hours and guffaw over its caricatures.
astor
May 25, 2005
After hearing [b]Pop Goes The World[/b] today at Sushiville, I had to download it, along with [b]The Safety Dance[/b], which is my actual favorite song of theirs. I'm listening to both now.