11% Transcendence Apr 18

The Moon-Spinners Reviews

mingsysar
mingsysar

March 16, 2009
I absolutely adore this film. I was a great fan of Hayley Mills when I was a kid. I'm head over heels in love with Crete. The supporting characters and the actors who portray them are brilliant, especially Sheila Hancock, the kid and Eli Wallach. I read the Mary Stewart story it's based on and the film betters it. You'll fall for the charms of a teenage Hayley Mills or her debonair love interest, the gorgeous island of Crete and the sheer silliness that overtakes the thriller aspects. It shouldn't work, but a thiller farce set in beautiful surroundings with superb acting, genius!
joycefricken
November 12, 2006
The first "romance" film I ever related to.
Hell, even to this day, I still daydream about exciting adventures with attractive young men.
December 5, 2013
its ok but does not have the Disney "magic"
July 22, 2013
This odd-titled film is filled with mystery, suspense, and is peppered with the same kind of dramatic, visual/narrative liberalisms as Alfred Hitchcock's body of work from the same era. Hayley Mills, for the first time with the studio, begins to leave her cutesy girl image behind in favor of something more serious and (do I dare say it?) sexy. However, make no mistake, Moon-Spinners is a fun family film, as it contains the same frolicking antics, good music, and humor as many Disney classic films from earlier years, (though I subtract a full star from the overall rating because Act 3 does get a bit TOO silly and chatty, particularly during scenes with Pola Negri's Madame Habib. As a side note, this was Negri's final on-screen performance.) Not universally recognized as a classic in the Disney canon, Moon-Spinners is an under-appreciated effort from the studio, and is a bold departure from their early-1960s formula.
moviebuff18cab
July 24, 2004
THE MOON-SPINNERS (1964)
Chris B.
June 6, 2009
The Moonspinners is based (very loosely) on the plot of Mary Stewart's novel of the same name.

This movie was my favourite as a child and still entertains now, pure escapism with a mix of comedy and light suspense.

Eli Wallach stands out as Stratos ,menacing & always convinced the stars don't lie.
gillianren
July 1, 2007
First, allow me to give a brief birthday wish to Olivia de Havilland, 91 years old today and the last surviving star of [i]Gone with the Wind[/i]. (By quite a few years, in fact.) It's been nearly sixty years since, and she's still hanging in there. Though I do imagine she's awfully tired of talking about the thing.

At any rate. Today's second movie.

I first encountered [i]The Moon-Spinners[/i] on the Disney Channel when I was a child. (No, this isn't about to turn into yet another tirade against the current state of the Disney Channel; the last one didn't.) It's easily my favorite Halley Mills movie, and you must remember that I [i]like[/i] both [i]Pollyanna[/i] and the original [i]Parent Trap[/i]. I watched it pretty much every chance I got ever since.

And then, in high school, I acquired the book. (Aha! You've spotted the tirade! No; keep guessing.) I read it, too, and I loved it.

But indeed, as you've guessed, they weren't much of anything alike. I could give a point-by-point list of the major details, such as the amazing disappearing younger brother, but I shan't. I shall merely recommend that you acquire both yourself and compare them on you own.

Very seldom is there a movie so different from its source material that I love so much. This may be because of the decade between discovering the movie and discovering the book, but it may also be because they're both interesting stories. Walt Disney got Polish silent movie vamp Pola Negri out of retirement for this, her final film, and she's a hoot. She plays the mysterious woman, she of the shadowy past and the many husbands, but her primary task is to be bewildered by Halley Mills. Which is quite easy, frankly.

Yes, I like this movie. No. No tirade. Aren't you surprised?