Morning Light Reviews

½ December 22, 2009
It's a fine little documentary but it comes off more like a commercial for the race more than anything else. It tells us about the people chosen for the TransPac sailing race and their six month training. But it all goes really fast and then we are in the race and then it's over. There are eleven people on the team but we really don't take time to get to know them.
Plus there are voice overs read by the kids on the boat that don't have any emotion to them. That got old real fast.
½ January 1, 2010
If you've never sailed, you shouldn't watch this movie. If you think this was intended to be a blockbuster... to be judged on sales figures, pretty faces, star names... please stay away; you'd have no reference point nor would you, understandably, have the slightest reason to be interested in its content.

If you have sailed, on the other hand, you know exactly what it's about. It's not about editing or a story line. Even if it was just a story told around the dinner table or at a bar near some seaside, to a sailor it would be moving and engaging.

Beautiful views, settings, situations - the thrills, the frustrations - that can only be experienced from the vantage point of a boat being thrashed about on the vast, open sea. For what it was intended to be, this documentary hits the target.