Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven Reviews

½ February 11, 2012
Fassbinder's satire looks at the life of a middle-aged woman and her family after the death of her husband. Comic at times, dramatic others, and cynical throughout, with quiet desperation undercutting everything, here is a film bored with thinking and thought and the perception of better living through either.
May 28, 2016
Has pacing issues in the middle, but the viewer's patience is rewarded with two cracking endings.
½ July 11, 2009
Kind of like an unofficial sequel/re-telling of a similar story found in Fassbinder's Why Does Herr R Run Amok. This could actually be called Why Did Herman K run Amok as it's about what happens when a wife of a man who went nuts and killed someone and then himself is left to her own devices, or lack thereof, under scrutiny from the press and a lack of support from her children. It's very sad material, but continuing in that theme of urban alienation that can be found all over Fassbinder's catalog of films. Indeed, this might be one of the best "what-happens-after-someone-dies" movies, since it's all about the fall-out from something such as the Kusters case, where no one can really just say "he was crazy, he did it, that's it".
May 28, 2016
½ March 5, 2012
Ultimately sad film about media manipulation and the selfishness inherent in politics.
½ February 11, 2012
February 7, 2011
As the tag line reads, this film was banned from the Berlin Film Festival in 1975, and I know exactly why. It's what you call a 'bleak comedy'. But the emotion that it carries throughout the whole movie is disturbing, yet riveting. I first watched this movie not knowing any synopsis of it at all and when it was over, my jaw literally dropped to the floor. Foreign films can be quite moving.
½ July 31, 2010
Ach ja, der Rainer Werner konnte schon Filme machen. Interessant erzählt, gut gespielt und eigentlich so ziemlich gegen Alles und Jeden hat Fassbinder auch mit diesen Film bewiesen, dass man ihn einfach in keine Schublade stecken kann. Besonders angetan war ich vom alternativen Ende, das eigentliche Ende ist zwar auch in Ordnung, ist aber schon ziemlich absurd wenn man mich fragt.
3,5/5
July 31, 2010
La disfrute mucho, me encanto.
½ July 31, 2010
in love with this movie....only fassbinder and herzog from now on until i'm done even if it sucks. we'll see how long i last.
½ July 31, 2010
Brutal. Fassbinder no se casa con nadie, y con su camara mortifera dispara en todas las direcciones, echandose encima incluso a los que eran sus adherentes. Critica acida a la manipulacion de la politica y la prensa. Critica a Alemania y su sistema social. Critica al seno de la familia de clase media. Critica a la indiferencia de las personas. Sin mas que decir, una maravilla.
July 31, 2010
one of my favorite Fassbinder films
½ July 31, 2010
one of the best german new wave films, the european ending you will 'laugh with', and the american ending you will 'laugh at'
kick fucking asssss!
½ July 31, 2010
Not bad, it's one of those films that has you watching and you don't even know why.
½ July 31, 2010
One of Fassbinder's most pointed films, and one filled with biting humour and great acting.
½ July 31, 2010
Mother Kunters is just so drolly funny. The story is about a woman coping with her husband's death. Her husband died after he fell into some machinery at work. Oh, and there's something else. Her husband killed 2 people on the job before doing himself in. Actually, if you listen closely during the first 15 minutes of the movie, the "There's something else" line is repeated 3 times, which is very oddly funny. Mrs. Kunsters is of course, devastated by the news, and when her children get together, they all don't really get along, and deal with the death in different ways, her daughter is especially malicious, using the death to promote her laughable music career. Mrs Kusters, not finding solace anywhere, finally finds a couple willing to listen and feel compassion. Problem is of course, they're COMMUNISTS! Ha ha. Pretty soon they're convincing poor Mrs Kusters that her husband's death is directly related to The Plight of The Common Worker! I mean, that's priceless. Pretty soon, she's getting caught up with the hardline commies and soon violently protesting against newspapers that published negative stories about her husband. I mean, clearly we're dealing with manipulation, (both personal and political) and Fassbinder does it brilliantly here. As you could tell by the title of my review, I'm not the biggest Fassbinder fan, but I personally loved this one. Although the ending (the American one even more so) leaves a little bit to be desired, I, all in all, enjoyed this tremendously.
½ July 11, 2009