La Moustache Reviews

December 28, 2010
This proved to be a strange film that did not tip its hand for this viewer until the end. Marc (Vincent Lindon) shaves his mustache and sets off a sequence of events that leaves him, and this viewer, wondering whether he is going insane, the butt of an elaborate joke, or something more sinister. His wife, Agnes (Emmanuelle Devos), grows increasingly concerned, as it is her contention is that he has never had a mustache, while he believes that he has had it for ages. The back and forth dialog, and the increasing frustration that Marc experiences is what drives this film. It is dark comedy and French to the core. The two leads are excellent at portraying the conflicting emotions, and the supporting cast is strong. The scenery in and around Paris sets the mood and the director keeps a steady hand on the way the story is presented. Having had a mustache for many years only increased the pleasure that this film brought to this viewer as he could totally relate to the sense of bewilderment that Marc experienced.
Harlequin68
½ May 29, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]In "La Moustache", Marc(Vincent Lindon) and Agnes(Emmanuelle Devos) are a successful couple living in Paris. One day Agnes comments that she would not recognize Marc without his mustache. On a whim, he does shave it off. Later, she does not notice anything has changed. In fact, when pressed for a response, she claims he never had a mustache. Nobody else can remember Marc having had one either...[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"La Moustache" is an engrossing psychological drama with an unexpected resolution. The movie is anchored by a great performance from Vincent Lindon as someone who is wondering if he is losing his mind. [/font]
½ August 15, 2011
What a horrible thing to go through, I questioned if the character Marc was going through the beginning stages of alzheimer's disease because of his lack of memory that never synced up with his wife's. "You didn't even notice I shaved my moustache" "you have not had a moustache in the 15 years I have known you."
August 15, 2008
Doesn't have to make sense to be absurdly French.
½ April 28, 2007
Intriguing premise, strong perf. hold for most of running time.
alanjayh
April 5, 2010
the story for this movie was written by the director; I suspect it was a very short story that he attempted to stretch into a feature film. The acting by both leads are strong; the glaring weakness about stories such as these is the fact its nonsensical and without any reason. Plot holes aside, the burning questions that bubble up from this type of story go unanswered...but hey thats a french movie lol. This film plays out like a enlongated 'Twilight Zone' episode, where the ending is abruptly cut off a minute or two before its conclusion. Sorry folks, no answers to this one heh. Even Emmanuelle Devos said as much in the short feature included on the dvd; she had no idea what the deal was with the mustache angle, and the director never gave an answer to it. Its an interesting watch..
½ November 5, 2007
On first impression you think this film is going to be a delightful comedy. Think again. Some parts are funny but it really goes from bad to worse when this guy shaves off his "moustache" and no one notices.
½ August 2, 2010
Brilliant. Perfectly paced psychological thriller with an amazing central image. The "rosebud"? A mustache, or the absence thereof. This film leaves you wondering are we really here or is it just a dream?
March 25, 2010
One of these brilliant movies were you never really know what reality each scene is part of. Very un-settling and intriguing.
August 17, 2009
Feb 09 - Interesting idea but I think the writer and director had a hard time figuring out how to turn it into a long movie with a decent ending and I don't thing they were quite successful in doing so.
April 12, 2008
I HEART MOVIES LIKE THIS, those one's like you think you know what the film is trying to tell you, but you are not quite sure what it is exactly...La Moustache is a portray of middle age men, loss of identity, old couples...etc. The story is so original, imaginative and engaging, I don't know how Emmanuel Carrere did it(who wrote and directed the film.) Philip Glass's music score was perfect for this film. The ending was confusing and mysterious. And Vicent Lindon and Emmanuelle Devo's performances were fantastic as always.
½ January 19, 2008
Nice little French film. The ending says a lot about life, especially when we've lost our identity; to ourselves, and to those around us.
½ May 23, 2007
An extremely effective "Is the world crazy or am I?" film. Excellent acting, compelling story. Not a movie for special effects junkies or people who can't bear a few minutes of no dialog. The first half made me go "Wow," and then I wondered if I had made a mistake, until the end made me go "wow" again.
March 29, 2007
This movie was blurbed in the paper like a sitcom: a man shaves off his moustache and is disturbed to find that his wife, friends, and colleagues don't seem to notice. It sounds like a pleasant, throwaway French farce, and even seems so at first. But there is so much more afoot here, and I hesitate to give away one iota more. Simultaneously more serious and more playful than one is led to expect.
April 27, 2014
Strange and intriguing.
January 5, 2014
Marc shaves his mustache and with it, he goes to the other side of the mirror, where his world becomes strange. I'm not repeating the story here, see other reviews for this. I want to add that what is strange is that Marc has clear evidence that his wife and his two closest friends are lying and he becomes deeply shaken. In my view, these three characters are the people he loves the most and their lies are hurting him. Behind strong allures, he his vulnerable because of the love he has. He is not a psychopath, basically. However, his wife and friends, whether it is a joke or a sinister way to push him into depression and suicide, appears to be psychopathic. I think this is the main point of the movie. In the end, Marc escapes without leaving clues to them but they find him before he sends them an adieu, maybe a final adieu to the world or a new beginning without them. Once found, and his wife and friends now acting normally, he gets rid of the unsent token or last adieu, too happy to get back into the cosy feelings of love....that may not really exist because of their psychopathy. This film appears to be idiotic at first but asks deep questions about the value of life, love, friendship. It marks philosophical points.
September 7, 2012
I have a "moustache" as well. Had it ever since I could grow one. That's a better statement than any shitty tattoo I've ever seen. And almost all tattoos are . . . shitty that is.

The story here plays out like Alfred Hitchcock and Rod Serling wrote it together. Maybe they dragged Roman Polanski in as guest director.
Some illiterates don't like movies simply because of sub-titles. The ones that deny this are lazy as well.

I liked the premise because, think about it: How many times have you met someone and couldn't remember things like eyeglasses, mustaches, and yes, stupid tattoos? Interesting movie that bears watching without distractions because of subtleties and plot.
August 30, 2012
'La Moustache' is an emotional experience in it's own right and will appeal to everyone differently. It just depends whether you can go with Marc along this journey. That is why this film is almost impossible to review. All I can say it appealed to me right up to the ending which I thought kind of ruined the film, but still it's an involving and interesting experience.
March 3, 2012
This hair-raising thriller is certainly tuft to follow. Marc, the mane character, with a rather stiff upper lip, wigs out after he shaves his mustache. On the fringe of a mental breakdown, Marc finds himself in a hairy situation. Whom can he tress? When his crew cuts him out of his life, Marc dreads the prospect of insanity and waves goodbye to his roots. He leaves all his split ends behind in France, and come 5 o'clock, he's merely a shadow of his former self.
March 2, 2012