57% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 28, 2013
An advertising executive moves his New York family to Connecticut and involves them in a real estate swindle.
Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, and Melvyn Douglas are all great actors, but even they can't save this film from banal mediocrity. The central conflict is Jim Blandings's pursuit of an American Dream on steroids and a entitled sense of opulence, but this conflict isn't really resolved because Blandings never tones down his ambitions or does anything to earn his privileged opinion of himself. The plotline about Muriel's potential affair with Bill doesn't have any legs either because, like Jim should, we trust her implicitly. Some of the supporting characters are -- "Yep" -- mildly amusing, but even a chuckle didn't escape me.
Overall, just like its more modern imitator, The Money Pit, this film is pointlessly unfunny.
Ken S

May 7, 2007
Great chemistry between the cast members keeps Mr. Blandings from being a real bore. It's got it's moments, but it's nothing to flip for.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
Grant and Loy make a great team in this hilarious comedy. I love it, and I recommend you see it too.
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

April 20, 2010
Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House builds heavily on it's predecessors (Jack Benny's "George Washington Slept Here" for one, and W.C. Fields movies in general, for another), while at the same time, inspiring future "do-it-yourselfers-gone-wrong" movies ("The Money Pit" for one and "Are We Done Yet?" for another) and yet, it has something going for it that those other don't: Cary Grant. Sure, it may be a little difficult to picture the erudite Grant as the henpecked, middle class husband and father of two, but this is a Hollywood picture afterall, and we naturally suspend our disbelief when it comes to such matters. Then again, if I were married to Myrna Loy, I probably wouldn't mind being henpecked either. Mr. Blandings, sick of living life in a cramped New York apartment, decides to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and move to a little home out in the country. Unfortunately, he buys his home with his heart, not his head, and winds up with dilapidated, ramshackle house that, in the long run is cheaper to tear down and build over. And that's just the start of his problems. Mr. Blandings isn't rocket science, it's a cute comedy very much in the same vein as other cute comedies of the 40s and 50s, overall a very enjoyable classic.
jjnxn
jjnxn

December 17, 2007
a riot!!!
Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
fun. and that's why you're NOT wasting your time watching these things...so watch and enjoy yourself
garyX
garyX

June 11, 2007
A rather slight and lightweight piece of fluff, this feelgood comedy is the kind of thing that lives or dies on the likeability and charm of it's leads. In this, case Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. No problems there then. Remade in the 80s as The Money Pit, which is crap for the same reason.
Lanning :

June 27, 2006
The only Cary Grant movie that I would ever consider for five stars. This is the only Cary Grant movie I've ever owned. A VHS version. I wore it out. Dare I say that I've prefaced a flixster review with "Dare I say" before? Okay, flixsters, forget the dare-I-say stuff. I, flat out, am not a Cary Grant fan. For me, he's primarily personality, not acting ablity. The proverbial "cult of personality" has steered Hollywood's course, for better or worse, in the past, the present, and--dare I say!!!--will also do so in the future. If pushed to the wall, the reason why I revere this movie is because of the breathtaking comedic magneticism between Myrna Loy and Grant. Without any lesser personality than Loy to play opposite Grant, this movie would be one to which I'd be hard-pressed to give a five-star rating.
poohtiger
poohtiger

November 18, 2006
Following the success of their first pairing, The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, Cary Grant and Myrna Loy re-team for the highly entertaining comedy, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. Fed up with city living, New Yorkers Jim and Muriel Blandings find a house in serene Connecticut. Trouble is the house needs a lot of work and the family goes through all kinds of mishaps and failures trying to turn it into their dream home. Grant and Loy once again make for a wonderful pair, with Grant as Jim being constantly frustrated at all the problems the house seems to provide, not too mention the rising costs of repairs. And Jim also has to deal with family friend Bill Cole (all charm by Melvyn Douglas) who also use to be Muriel's ex-boyfriend.

And Jim is also dealing with a deadline he has to make for his ad agency. It's their maid Gussie (a terrific Louise Beavers) who comes up with the new campaign slogan. Mr. Blandings is a very good movie with excellent performances from the entire cast. It will remind you of the 1942 film, George Washington Slept Here with Jack Benny and Ann Sheridan. If you enjoyed that film, then you will like this one as well. Pay close attention to the classic scene where Muriel is trying to show the painters what colors to use. One of the best classic comedies of yesteryear.
cody f

October 12, 2009
The Money Pitt set in 1940's. It's good,but not near as good as other Cary Grant comidies. The movie looked good,but I think the problem was in the direction. With a great script and all around flawless group of actors this film should be at least a 4 star film, and would be if Capra,Hawks, or Lubitsch would have been directing. The film gets 3.5 because Grant,Loy, and Douglas are oozing with charm and they just make this fun to watch and I did laugh out loud a couple of times.
broadwaymo
broadwaymo

September 3, 2007
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House to me was (forgive the pun) rather bland. Maybe I just couldn't buy into Cary Grant as a successful, yet financially inept, ad executive. Or, that I'd been tainted by Tom Hanks and Shelley Long in the very similar 1986 stinker, The Money Pit. Myrna Loy, as Mrs. Blandings, seemed a bit underused. While Melvyn Douglas, as the Blandings' attorney and sole voice of reason, was given all the best lines. Overall, a tad disappointing...
Sunil J

October 24, 2007
Classically delightful!
Anthony V

August 13, 2007
One of my favorites.
March 6, 2012
A typical Cary Grant looney comedy, entertaining but full of pain while he and his family try and build their dream house. I enjoyed the montage in the beginning about NY.
April 29, 2011
I gave this one another look after buying it recently and it holds up amazingly well.

I enjoyed the chemistry between Grant and Loy more than anything, but the overall concept is sound: City couple gets out of their element when renovating a home in the country.

The ensuing money pit is enough to make me never want to move from the house in which I currently live, as it seems that the other way lies madness and frustration at every turn.

Recommended.
jplong39
August 24, 2011
Not a great film, but a great movie...Cary Grant and family buy a house in the country to get away from it all...
Brody M

July 15, 2010
I've never been into old B/W comedies but I saw this at the library & decided to take a chance on it & Im glad I did
May 1, 2009
Grant is again paired with Myrna Loy in this film which was later remade as 'The Money Pit' with Tom Hanks. I love the remake but if I had to choose, I'll take the original.
flixsterbum
February 18, 2008
Enjoyable screwball comedy, though this one wasn't as screwbally as some of the stronger Cary Grant comedies like "Bringing Up Baby". And while I adore Myrna Loy, she seems tired and bland throughout this one. Overall, though, a fun, light, funny comedy with some good screwball moments.
December 17, 2007
I love Myrna Loy and this is a great movie, that created a base for another great, "The Money Pit". Classic physical humor and irony make this a hilarious watch.