Mr. 3000 Reviews

½ March 25, 2013
Essentially a "Major League" "rethinking" (meaning they blatantly stole the plot), with the story emphasis concentrated mainly on the old timer's personal redemption. That being said, its a pretty good sports movie, Bernie Mac literally astounding as the big cheesy ham in love with himself who learns better. Definitely a keeper with great character performances soundly
backing up Bernie's play.
TheDudeLebowski65
March 9, 2013
As far as baseball comedies are concerned, Mr. 3000 is nothing compared to the likes of Major League or The Sandlot but is nonetheless a worthwhile film to watch due to good on-screen presence by lead actor Bernie Mac. The comedy is good here, but at times there are parts where the comedy could have been improved upon. The film manages to overcome its flaws by its good story and well balanced cast that just light up the screen. Now this isn't a perfect comedy, but it is definitely better than many other films in the genre, and it is better than the Benchwarmers and the Sandlot sequels. Bernie Mac is good here and is perfect for the role that he plays. The film has a good mix of comedy into its plot, but like I've said, some parts it lacks a bit and there was room for improvement. The film is worth seeing if you love the sport or a well acted comedy with heart. The film is entertaining from start to finish due to its plot and effective cast. If you want mindless entertainment, this is a perfect film to watch. Although the comedy is at times slow, Bernie Mac is fun to watch and he is perfect in his performance. If the film would have been rewritten and the jokes would have been reworked slightly, then this would truly have been a memorable comedy. As it stands, it's a good comedy, but one that had the potential of being a much better film. But Mr. 3000 is not a bad film, and it is quite good and is quite frankly underrated. Give it a shot; you might enjoy it for what it's worth.
August 4, 2009
"Bernie Mac is perfectly cast in Mr. 3000" thats like saying Paris Hilton was perfectly cast in 'the simple life'
June 21, 2006
Big Horse Borelli: You know, a lot of people said that Stan only looked out for himself, that he wasn't a team player. But I'm here to tell you, if you get 3000 hits, you don't have to be a team player. If you have a lifetime .314 average, you don't have to be a good guy. If you lead the league in batting for three years, you can be the biggest jerk in the world!

Bernie Mac stars as a baseball player who quit the game after getting his 3000th hit. Problem is, years later, when up for a spot in the hall of fame, it is learned that he is in fact 3 hits shy of 3000. Now, to keep his title as Mr. 3000, he has to get back in the game, despite his past ego making him unlikable.

The movie itself is somewhat formulaic, with an ok enough way of playing itself out, but Bernie Mac is enough of a good presence to make this movie enjoyable.

Tom Arnold: Hey, we're sorry about all that stuff we said before you hit that homer...
Stan: Yeah, you wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for Roseanne.
May 18, 2006
I really can NOT stand Bernie Mac. He really annoys me. I liked the movie concept, but it just wasn't done right.
March 15, 2006
Interesting premise leads to a disappointingly typical sports comedy.
April 2, 2009
=( RIP Bernie Mac
December 3, 2012
I expected a stupid slapstick comedy with a typical, predictable sports theme. This movie is more than that. In fact it's probably my favorite Bernie Mac role, and I wish I had gotten around to seeing it sooner. While it is a pretty standard comedy, it's one with a point, and that doesn't happen often.
½ January 6, 2011
Bernie Mac is what makes you watch Charles Stone III's "Mr. 3000". Mac is totally funny and has a great screen presence. No doubt this is a star vehicle for Mac, who really benefits from a surprising screenplay by Eric Champnella, Keith Mitchell, and Howard Gould. Their "Mr. 3000" is funny, edgy, and appropriately sentimental. Bernie Mac plays Stan Ross, a great Major League hitter, and also a major league arrogant jerk. Upon reaching his 3000th hit and securing his place in the Hall of Fame, Stan retires leaving his team in a lurch just before the playoffs. Stan parlays his "Mr. 3000" title into a successful business. However, 9 years later when Stan is on the verge of possible sports immortality with an induction into the Hall of Fame, a statistical error reveals that Stan Ross, "Mr. 3000", is really Stan Ross "Mr. 2997". Stan is shy 3 hits-- pretty much killing any chance of a trip to Cooperstown. So at nearly 50 years old, Stan decides to make a comeback. Seeing the potential of increased ticket sales by his return, his old team welcomes him back. Well, at least the owners do. How difficult would it be to get 3 more hits? Well, that is some of the movie.

Bernie Mac has this charm about him that even when playing a world class arrogant jerk, he is still likable. That is amazing. However, in the evolution of the story by Champnella, Mitchell, and Gould, Stan's (Mac's) introspection of the man he was in his youth is effective and at times poignant. Mac as Stan is smart and gradually sees the impact of selfishness on his teammates in the past and present, and with his old flame Mo (a wonderful and gorgeous Angela Bassett). He sees much of his young self in superstar hitter T-Rex (a commanding Brian J. White). Consequently Stan gives T-Rex a wake up call. T-Rex could end up being a lone jerk like Stan, or he could really make a profound difference by being a leader, and inspire his teammates. This is one of the great touches of the "Mr. 3000". Another great touch is Michael Rispoli as Stan's one loyal friend, Boca, who finally points out to Stan that he loves him, because he can always count on Stan to do what is right for Stan, regardless of anyone else. At the heart of the movie is the amazing Angela Bassett as Mo. She knows that Stan is a jerk and she still loves him. She also is sad and angry that Stan doesn't just grow up, knock it off, and be the great man that he deserves to be.

The end really took me by surprise-- I did not expect it. Without giving anything away, everything works out sometimes in the most unsuspecting ways.

Bernie Mac is wonderful here. "Mr. 3000" is that cool fantasy movie where one gets to atone and correct for being young and stupid. And I guess we all continue to do this is some way or fashion. "Mr. 3000" also does this with a sense of humor. This is a great thing.
February 26, 2010
I really enjoy baseball movies and have to say that this one was very good, Bernie Mac makes a good baseball player, love the ending of the movie.
August 18, 2008
another great Bernie Mac movie! A must see and another dvd for your collection!:) We miss u Bernie!:(
½ August 10, 2008
Ah, the Mac man. Even though this movie was not a hit I enjoyed it very much. Bernie plays a selfish ballplayer very well. The scenes when he makes his comeback and tries to play ball are very funny and he looks like he can't play at all, which of course he couldn't. In the end he doesn't reach his goal which only makes me like this more. R.I.P. Bernie. "Staaaan Rosss!"
July 11, 2008
This movie is so funny!! Plus I love Bernie Mac and his comedy so was waiting to see this one. And I love the way the movie had a romantic side to it!! Angela Bassett did great. And what can I say about Bernie Mac that some people don't already know. Well this man is hilarious!! ANd the movie was awesome. Something that keeps me laughing just like I like!! and something I can watch everyday!!!
May 22, 2008
Funny, always loved Bernie Mac and he was great in this film. A little far fetched him being a professional baseball player but he did a good job at the fantasy
May 3, 2007
03-10-08 --A story about a athlete that doesn't know the meaning of "team". Well that all changes in expected fashion as this once pro-athlete goes back to try it again 9 years after he retired to chase a record that will definately put him in the hall of fame. But what is more important, Stats/Records or Team Accomplishments?
½ February 26, 2008
Not the best baseball comedy on the market but not that bad either. Mac is charming even in his egotistical role, but the lack of motive behind him becoming a team player is the downfall for this movie.
February 4, 2008
it wasnt that strong of movie but i believe that bernie mack and angela bassett did what they could do
½ January 2, 2008
A really good comedic premise, and I really love Bernie Mac -- but I don't think the movie really pans out very well.
½ July 4, 2007
I love the look of this movie, the ESPN-ness and such, but the plot and jokes were horrible. Not funny.
½ May 30, 2007
I might have liked this more if they had cast someone other than Bernie Mac. I'm not a big fan of his.