• PG-13, 1 hr. 49 min.

Mr. Baseball Reviews

Chiefilms
Chiefilms

January 6, 2010
I could almost say Tom Selleck is a hero of mine, mainly due to his mustache and chest hair that are constantly finding ways to present itself to the audience, it's ridiculous and borderline impressive. Decent fish out of water film with classic cheese.
Jason O

September 14, 2009
This movie wasn't funny at all, and not even that entertaining. I haven't seen many Selleck movies, but this one didn't leave a good impression. Oh well, least we see a nice naked Japanese butt take a step or two at one point.
garyX
garyX

June 18, 2007
Another lame fish out of water comedy that sees an ageing baseball star relocated to Japan. Not one cliche is left unturned.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 23, 2007
good flick
Curt C

February 16, 2006
This movie doesn't offer many surprises, but Tom Selleck turns out a stellar performance.
June 29, 2006
I already don't have a high tolerance for sports films, but I was even less impressed with this one than usual. It takes about three different cliched formulas, smushes them together into one movie, and then waters it down until it's completely uninteresting. Even now as I think back on it, I have to work really hard to remember the plot details. Sports movies have to be *really* good to overcome the genre handicap for me, and this one didn't even come close.
flbeachboy
September 13, 2010
Not bad, was hoping for something better but still a descent baseball movie, with Tom Selleck doing a good performance.
TonyPolito
May 22, 2010
Two films mixed up here. Mr. Baseball with Tom Selleck is a light rom-com about an American ball player who gets set to the Japanese leagues, where he learns how different the culture ... and the culture of the game ... is there.
endeavourcrellc
December 21, 2008
Every professional athlete should have to watch this film. It really is great and didn't get nearly enough press and praise.
mikeyyearwood
March 9, 2007
Post Magnum P.I. Selleck tries his hand at a baseball movie. This movie has some plot holes in it but its good for a saturday afternoon flick. That and Tom Selleck rules
adecker31
February 25, 2007
I saw this with my friend Brad, the next day he upped and left and nobody heard from him for a year and a half...
codyjohnson117
October 3, 2006
I kinda like it because it was pretty funny and it was good, but I didn't really like taking movie in Japan because it doesn't make sense very well. It's okay to watch, it's old.
June 7, 2014
Terrible. Tom Selleck has the worst acting performance in history. The fact that MLB Network still plays this movie is pitiful, as the plot is awful, the acting is awful, the writing is worse. There is nothing, nothing about this movie that I enjoy. The fact that I can't give negative stars is currently getting to me because I would give it lower than anything. This movie was pure torture.
April 2, 2013
Fish out of water baseball film starring one of my favorites, TS. He is let down by a poor story, and even his charm cannot make this a winner.
February 20, 2013
It was gr8, good movie only if you know the game.
July 7, 2007
Good idea...poorly executed.
May 31, 2011
Only a good movie from the sense that you are a baseball fan and are interested in Japanese baseball. Otherwise it's clunky and kind of dumb.
May 28, 2012
This movie really isn't that bad at all and is perhaps Tom Selleck's greatest. I can understand how this would have been badly criticzed in 1992, but it's pretty good by current standards. What other Hollywood film is there which shows proper Japanese bathing protocol? None that I am aware of.
May 4, 2012
A competent but formulaic sports drama.
Warchief
June 17, 2011
"I don't believe this. What's next? Somebody going to tell me how to take a crap?"

Synopsis: Jack Elliott's baseball glory days are over, or so it seems. No longer the athlete he once was, he's traded to a pro team in Japan, where he promptly angers everyone around him with his arrogance and ignorance.

Jack is an arrogant, annoying, childish, and an ass of a man. Such a character is fine, but do not try to make me like the man by having him stress the value of fun after he makes it clear he is a 11 year old stuck in a 38 year old man's body. And don't you dare say all this selfish, childish, belligerent, and completely asinine behavior is what makes a incredibly beautiful woman attracted to him. I mean, after mistakingly assuming Hiroko wants to engage in a sexual relationship, Jack decides to shout at her and insult her country on their very first date, yet, she falls in love with him anyway, i guess japanese women have a thing for taking care of 40-year old babies. Oh yea, Tom Selleck turns in a razzie-worthy performance as well.

The rest of the writing while entertaining, is just a bunch of cliché's. The team plays poorly at first, but once our hero's attitude, SURPRISE, does a 360 degree u-turn; the japanese team turns into the New York Yankees, all the problems in Jack's love life is settled, and by the end all the characters live happily ever after.

It's a shame that the film suffers from such fundamental flaws, as it does have some quality to it. The actual directing is rather solid and the picture is well filmed, as the action on the diamond (apart from the sound design) has a rather authentic look and feel to it.

Despite a good time and solid directing, Mr. Baseball's screenplay is cliche'd and manipulative.