• R, 1 hr. 58 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Mr. Saturday Night Reviews

Apeneck F

May 24, 2011
A old comic tries to jump-start his failing career. Only a flawed ending keeps this from being Mr. Crystal's great shining moment. Still it's the best he's done in my opinion, and the supporting cast is more than adequate. David Paymer, as the long suffering second banana, particularly is wonderful.
John B

June 4, 2013
Although I really liked David Paymer in this film, I think that Crystal didn't achieve what he wanted to achieve in his biopic of Buddy Young. Working on both sides of the camera, Crystal achieves run of the mill at best.
Juan C

June 6, 2011
billy crystal as a old timed hillarious jerry seinfeld. A
Sean S

June 11, 2008
Fluctuates between actually interesting and self-indulgently dull. However, a mostly interesting and mostly dramatic look at comedy and what drives people to make a career out of that craziness.The movie has a strong supporting cast, especially David Paymer as the long suffering brother/agent. Crystal gets by.
August 1, 2012
A bit too schmaltzy at times, but that's to be expected with Billy Crystal. I really liked that he was playing a Don Rickles-type in this film instead of a typical nice guy like you think of Billy Crystal. Good, but not great.
June 20, 2011
Billy Crystal plays Buddy Young,who's whole life revolved around comedy, but comedy evolved, but his act didn't
July 24, 2007
Billy Crystal might be somewhat of an acquired taste for people. While enjoying his acting is one challenge on it's own, enjoying a movie he not only stars in but also wrote and directed, is a whole different ball game. 1992 brought us "Mr Saturday Night", his self-penned tale of a hugely talented, fictitious comedian with a propensity to screw up every opportunity that came his way.

It charts the career of Buddy Young Jnr (Crystal - "Analyze This", "Forget Paris", "City Slickers", "Deconstructing Harry"), now an ageing, washed up stand-up, and looks back at his career through a series of retrospective flashbacks. He and his brother Stan (Paymer - "The Hurricane", "Payback", "The American President", "Quiz Show"), have always been entertaining people. As kids, their post-dinner comedy routine delighted the family. But when, in their teens, it came to performing at a local amateur night, their double act falls apart as Stan gets stagefright and young Buddy is left to delight the crowd alone.

Subsequently Buddy becomes the star, and Stan works tirelessly as his agent and co-writer. But the relationship is not perfect, and Buddy's abrasive, unreasonable, cruel and arrogant manner strain not just that relationship, but also that which he has with his daughter, Susan (Mara - "K-PAX", "A Civil Action", "Bound"). It also becomes a major factor in his somewhat muted success as much of his potential is never realised. Now Buddy wants just one more shot at success, but it's questionable whether or not he has learnt enough from his past to make it a reality.

Although "Mr Saturday Night" is full of laughs and one-liners, it can never be confused as a comedy. This is a pure personal drama - a study of human pursuits such as ambition and love, and traits like jealousy, bitterness and loyalty. Crystal's character is hard to like most of the time. Now a grumpy, middle-aged man who half-lives in reality about his lack of status in the world of showbusiness, he barely hangs on to the drive that made him a star in the first place.

Instantly it becomes clear that the audience will cheer for his likeable, under-appreciated and hard-working brother, who has taken years of mental abuse from Buddy. The irony is that Buddy has always taken advice from Stan. Stan repeatedly tells him through his career that "the other jacket is funnier" and makes suggestions about which gags he should and shouldn't do.

Buddy's relationships are fascinating. He undoubtedly loves his wife Elaine (Warner - "The Puppet Masters", "Doc Hollywood", "Flatliners") unconditionally, and it seems that he has treated her well in their time together. But for some reason his children never get the same treatment. We see him yelling at his young daughter Susan, and his relationship with her as an adult is non-existent (she's now a "twice divorced, middle aged drug addict" according to Buddy). His son doesn't even feature in the movie and Buddy tells us that he "lives wherever I'm not". Meanwhile, Stan retires to Florida but Buddy continues to drag him back into his desperate battle to get back in front of an audience.

It's not just his family though. Annie Wells (Hunt - TV's "Mad About You", "As Good As it Gets", "Cast Away"), a young agent who is eager to get Buddy back on track, takes a truck load of abuse from a frustrated Buddy. For some reason though, she believes in him and comes back for more.

At times it seems like Buddy might be just unlucky. After getting his own TV show, he sees the ratings slip when the show comes up against Davy Crockett on another channel. He ignores Stan's warnings on ridiculing Davy Crockett in a monologue and subsequently the show's sponsors pull the plug. Back in present day, one of his biggest fans, Hollywood director Larry Meyerson, wants to cast him in his next big movie, but Buddy flips when Walter Matthau takes his part and he is offered a much smaller one. Despite it still being a great opportunity, he abuses Meyerson and walks away. "You took every bad break you ever got and made it worse", Stan tells him.

One of the major failings of the movie is in the make-up department. Crystal was 44, Paymer 38, when this movie was made. Making them look in their early twenties is passable, but it's their elder years where things go slightly wrong. Paymers looks decent enough I suppose but that's only comparable to Crystal who looks like a man with make-up on. As for Julie Warner, the pretty brunette was 27 and her sixty-something look is fairly laughable.

But leaving this aside, the performances make up (excuse the pun) for all that. David Paymer was surprisingly, but deservedly, nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. As Stan, he delivers a masterful performance, a spot-on portrayal of a timid and hesitant man working hard in the shadow of a more dominant personality.

Crystal is both harsh and hilarious but sometimes you wonder if anyone could be as cold-hearted as he is. At times you feel that his wretched treatment of those who annoy him is a little too over-the-top, perhaps exploiting his character as just that, rather than a real human being.

Warner is warm and likeable, Helen Hunt plays a convincing agent with a genuine streak, and in her small role as Susan Young, Mary Mara does a decent job.

I wouldn't say that "Mr Saturday Night" is an expert character study by any means, but if you assume its aim is to entertain and touch in just a small way, then it certainly achieves that.
MovieGuruDude72
July 25, 2007
Like so many of his movies, Billy Crystal directs and stars in something that's billed as a comedy, but transforms into an unfunny melodrama. Didn't Robin Williams perfect this genre?
March 17, 2007
Billy Crystal is awesome in this movie, he portrays Buddy Young Jr., a washed up comedian who is trying to get his comedy career started again but like during his career, he has a few ups but so many downs. A great film with supporting cast members like Helen Hunt, Julie Warner, David Paymer, and Jerry Orbach.
fordmarkII
January 17, 2013
Billy Crystal never disappoints.
March 13, 2012
Why didn't people like this?
Juan C

June 6, 2011
billy crystal as a old timed hillarious jerry seinfeld. A
Pianoroark
July 25, 2006
Mr. Saturday Night was a decent movie but I felt like it was too transparent. Billy Crystal's character looks like an orange blob of makeup made to look like Billy Crystal. Envision what the roach alien from Men in Black might do to Billy Crystal's body if he were to inhabit it; that's what the old comedian looks like. Okay, maybe that's going too far, but to get to the point-- the movie isn't real enough. I appreciate the attempt, but it's just not there. I don't buy that a brother would be that loyal, that a man would be that oblivious to his surroundings and yet make a career out of being a comic. Maybe it's just me, but this movie could have been a lot better.

The Cider House Rules is a very confused movie, and yet also very predictable at the same time. Any movie that manages to pull both those off simultaneously deserves at least a 4.

Patton would be an average movie if it weren't for George C. Scott's epic performance, which I never could have guessed would be as good as it was until I saw it for myself (despite all the hype and all). A wonderful performance, one of the best in all of film-making history. Very genuine, we see a real man here, with many complicated dimensions, just like the rest of us. A refreshingly solid film.

The Hours also could have been a little better, but Nicole Kidman is so good she's unrecognizable (no that's not a slam), and nearly every character in the movie gets a chance to show off his or her stuff. Ed Harris is great (again), Meryl Streep is great (again), Julianne Moore gets the job done, Jeff Daniels even in his brief couple of scenes is very convincing (after seeing this and "The Squid and the Whale," I have to just sit back and wonder when the academy will nod in his direction... it's only a matter of time if he keeps this kind of work up). The writing is a little cheesy, but we get past it because the actors and actresses do a brilliant job of hiding it as best as they possibly can, and give us a very good film.

Wild at Heart is another slightly confused film. Lynch's constant emphasis on degrading women is starting to get to me a little bit, but yet it always seems to work to a certain extent in each of his films. This one I think it was the least necessary of the films of his I've seen (Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet), but then again Laura does seem drawn to these kinds of roles (see "Kalifornia"). The plot is very strangely constructed, and I can't really tell you who the antagonist was, although I'm sure Lynch would have us believe it was the man who gets his head blown off at the end of the film. The reason I give it a 6 is because the intensity and the raw emotion of the relationship is built with a lot of strength. There is a powerful closeup of "peanut"'s eyes at the end of the movie, and after all of the sex they've had, the silly hard rock which they dance to together, the struggles with the law they've suffered, the intrusion of other evil characters, we finally see what Cage has been seeing in Laura the whole movie, in the most sincere and unexpected way. Strong sense of intimacy there, even though the means to getting to that portrayal of intimacy were a little bizarre at times.
kingofthecorn
February 28, 2006
Here's another film rating.
Virus
December 25, 2003
Yeah Billy Crystal isn't the funniest and I never been a fan of his, but the story of comic falling down stardom was pretty good.