• PG-13, 1 hr. 27 min.

Mr. Woodcock Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 10, 2011
If you're looking for Billy Bob Thornton's worst film, Mr. Woodcock is probably the one. I felt that Mr. Woodcock lacked anything funny or interesting that would make it a memorable comedy. The acting here sucks, and both Sean William Scott and Billy Bob Thornton give lazy performances and are actually quite boring to watch. The laughs are minimal. The film fails on being anything effective in its humor. The jokes feel forced, uninspired and they get old very quick. The acting suffers as well, and Thornton basically plays the same character he's played in previous films. With the exception with a rewrite, Thornton's character in this film is no different than previous characters that he's played. I felt that Mr. Woodcock was a missed opportunity to create a good comedy, and it might have worked if the story didn't really rely on Billy Bob's usual asshole image. Unfortunately the film relies only on that, instead of focusing on other elements which could have improved the film significantly. The film could have been a memorable comedy, and Billy Bob is a funny guy, but the script is too sloppy and unimpressive to really be entertaining. This is one of the weakest comedies starring Billy Bob Thornton, he's the right guy for this type of role, but the film relies too much on his asshole persona and doesn't do anything to really make the film interesting by exploring other ideas with plot.
Dean !

September 30, 2007
An average comedy with a strong cast line up. Pretty much run of the mill jokes about the son who disapproves of his Mum's new man. It turns out to be the gym instructor who made his life hell at school. Has a few funny moments but not nearly enough of them, especially for the talented line up!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 4, 2011
There were funny parts in the movie, but its so dumb and bad its hard to even remotely like this movie.
Wildaly M

January 15, 2008
Mr. Woodcock just doesn't cut it for me.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
some funny parts but not that great of a movie. C+
Conner R

May 28, 2010
An interesting idea that a lot of nonathletic middle-schooler's can relate to, but it kind've had nowhere to go after the back and forth torture between the characters. Billy Bob Thorton was funny, but it can't save an entire movie. I feel like Seann William Scott was severely miscast as a repressed teen, it just didn't make sense.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
Severely average! It can be funny at times, but the story overshadows the laughs, because of how bad it is!
Red L

June 10, 2009
I don't think much of humour that puts people down. Mind you Billy Bob Thornton plays the sadistic teacher well.
Phil H

September 29, 2007
I liked this...the bottom line, Billy Bob makes it, no question..without him its average. His deadpan, dry, sharp dialog is truely hilarious. The beginning sequence in the gym with his pupils is great stuff. The story and acting is generally average and there are no surprises, if you like Billy Bob its for you, if you dont then stay clear, simple.
Nicki M

January 16, 2008
Let down by a sappy, unrealistic happy ending, but actually did have some funny bits. Most of it of the "sleeping with your mother" variety, but anyhow... A lot less awful than I was expecting, but I did have the bar pretty low on this one. LOL.
DerekA101
DerekA101

November 18, 2008
Quick Review:
This movie is about as funny as it's title and promotion poster (yeah the one where Billy Bob is holding two basketballs at his crotch). Funny right? I didn't laugh once... nothing original, nothing clever, nothing to take out of it, NOTHING. In fact, there's nothing to write about either. This film is a complete waste of time and space.

It should also be noted that I have the utmost respect for Billy Bob and Seann William Scott. I guess we all need a paycheck sometime.......
deano
deano

September 11, 2007
It made me laugh very bit as well as what I thought Billy Bob Thornton as his title role is bloody bully teacher. Thorton is as good as ever, but it's Seann William Scott, who steals the show.
Chris G

October 6, 2008
Mr. Woodcock stars Billy Bob Thornton as the title character who is a sadistic gym teacher that gets engaged to a former students (Sean William Scott) mother played by Susan Sarandon. Scott's character, John Farley can't cope with the thought of this sadistic man being his step father.

The problem with Mr. Woodcock is that it isn't really that funny. You may get one chuckle here and one chuckle there, but overall the film is Sean William Scott whining for 90 minutes. Billy Bob Thornton is in PG-13 Bad Santa mode as Woodcock who seems to hate everybody. What's funny is that the plot is quite simple and taken to its basic core has been done many times before (see Yours, Min, and Ours). What I found interesting about Mr. Woodcock is that some subplots were blah at best or just put to sleep in the middle (I saw no point in the relationship with the cheerleader coach).

I wouldn't call this movie a must see. Hell, I wouldn't call this movie a rainy day on TBS while sick in bed film to watch while comatose. Dull, unfunny, and unfinished.
Bobby H

August 9, 2008
The movie was okay, personally I think Sean William Scott was out of his element in this one. He put on a good role, but it wasnt the same actor that I like seeing in other comedies.
Billy Bob Thorton keeps his cocky-assholish attitude that he carries into all of his movie's and that's merly the only part of this movie that is really great to watch. He's a great actor and saved this movie from being total disaster.

The storyline is pretty funny, the plot is average, and the ending is predictiable. The worse part about this movie is it was previewed as a much funnier movie then it turns out to be, misleading you with scenes from woodcocks educational career, that is usually just casual flash backs that there are not enough of.

Go into this movie not looking for something halarious or another classic comedy and you will be satisfied, go into it looking for what it portrayed, you will hate it.
Lady D

August 16, 2007
A very funny film that lived up to the trailer and my sense of humour. So many trailors only show the funny parts, but there were many laugh out loud moments, throughout for me.

I've enjoyed Billy Bob Thornton in Comedy and serious films.
arashxak
arashxak

April 25, 2008
I liked this movie,It has its funny moments, Billy Bob Thornton is good and so is Sean William Scott with his hilarious facial expressions, Amy Poehler is annoying sometimes
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 1, 2008
Stereotypical bs, cculd use more cocks and wood I guess.
Roy G

February 4, 2008
As usual, Billy Bob is very watchable in the lead. But the rest of the film is only so-so.
Lafe F

September 14, 2007
Not a very fun movie. It's not enjoyable to see kids being mistreated by their harsh gym teacher. Susan Sarandan's character seemed really dense to fall for someone as obviously evil as Mr. Woodcock. His name was a bit too jab-able. The lessons learned in the end did not amount to much. Seann William Scott was great in this one, as a boy turned man; but too bad he lost it during the awards ceremony. The corncob eating contest was somewhat funny. There was a lot of pain in the movie: with the stretcher hitting the pothole, the crying mom, the kids being whacked with the stick, the seniors' swim class, the baseball bat beating and the bed-thumping. The dad in the nursing home was a bit of a surprise. Nothing too enjoyable happened here, making for a miserable comedy.
Jose Z

September 11, 2007
Its an average movie, its not that great but it isn't bad also. It has some funny moments but I expected a non stop laughing comedy but it wasn't. The story about John Farley a man Who as a kid was a little overweight and received the abuse of his gym teacher, returns to his hometown just to notice that his mother is dating the same gym teacher , he will try everything to break up the relationship. The cast is very good. Billy Bob Thornton in a role that fits him like a glove but that has been repeating for the last three movies. Susan Sarandon is good, her performance is quite regular. Sean William Scott was ok, a performance that wasn't developed to the 100%. Amy Poehler role as a neurotic and alcoholic manager was really funny. In general this is a movie that you will enjoy but its not the best option to spend a good time.