—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

Mrs. Dalloway Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

June 16, 2009
This movie is another from the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival. Its not a bad film, even though I only give it 2 1/2 stars, its just not a good movie for me. I am sure any women over 50 might enjoy this as she looks back at her life and wonders about the decisions she made. That's what the film is about, women just coming out of hospital is looking back at her life and wondering. My answer is just be happy with what you have, no matter how bad it is, be happy, if you went the other way you might have it worst. Its a British Film (BBC) its slow and dry but then again one might find it enjoyable if they read Virginia Wolff Novels as I believe its based on one of her books. 2 1/2 stars.
John B

January 27, 2012
What did you expect from me? You know how much I love period pieces especially one that are particularly dull. Are reviewers swayed by the existence of corsets to continually rave about these pieces? Part of me thinks that is the case.
April 16, 2014
This woman over 50 found Mrs. Dalloway to be mostly a delightful film. I didn't like what the main character said about the young soldier's suicide, but Woolf's ideas on that is explained by her own end. Looking back on one's life is a good thing to do once in a while, if only for appreciation. A very well done film with Vanessa Redgrave at the height of her power as a beautiful and great older actress.
August 31, 2012
Mrs. Dalloway is a attractive artful novel, where writer has expressed the mental and social conditions of her time.
May 24, 2012
Good. An interesting adaptation. 7.
vic40186
October 20, 2010
I think this is a nice and faithful adaptation of the novel. Vanessa Redgrave is delighful as always and the rest of the performances are fine too. The only thing I didn't like very much was the production, looks poor.
Tom C.
March 3, 2010
Faithful almost totally to the novel. A success.
SeeTheSun
Best in Show: Vanessa Redgrave
One for the future: Lena Headey
Stand-out scene: Balcony resolve of Mrs Dalloway
Brainer or no-brainer: Brainer
Stands up to one viewing or repeated?: Repeated
DVD commentary any good?: n/a

TV
Perfect for a Saturday afternoon matinee (indeed the circumstances in which I watched it) as perhaps a double bill with The Hours, this British/American/Dutch production brings to life one of Virginia Woolf's most celebrated works. I tried to read To The Lighthouse last year but gave up after a few pages feeling unconnected to the characters and uninterested in the story, but seeing this (and having read and enjoyed her recently rediscovered lost Good Housekeeping short story) inspires me to give it another go. Having thoroughly enjoyed The Hours (although i've just discovered that Woolf was 59 when she died - an age Nicole Kidman looked nowhere near in the film) and devoured all the extras on the DVD i'd picked up that Mrs Dalloway was about a woman preparing to give a party. Enriched by the incorporation of elements of Woolf's real life (as was The Hours), this is a slow burner with a real emotional punch, Woolf evidently working through her suicidal tendencies by concocting fiction out of her real-life torments, although we should be careful not to assume that Mrs. Dalloway is Woolf by another name. Clarissa Dalloway is indeed preparing to throw a bash for hoorays and the suffocating social constraints of the day are examined effectively, with Vanessa Redgrave majestic in the title role.
Othello
May 6, 2004
(DVD) (First Viewing, 1st Gorris film)

Well, considering that Virginia Woolf's novel is just about my all-time favorite book and one of the most sublime pieces of literature ever written, this film had a huge reputation to live up to. And it certainly doesn't embarass itself- it's quite good, actually, but just a tad lifeless. I didn't know how the screenwriters were going to adapt a book that is written almost entirely by using stream-of-consciousness; they have to make it literal for the film to work, and that kind of detracts from the stunning effect of Woolf's writing.

But Vanessa Redgrave gives a nice performance as the title character, and Natascha McElhone ([i]The Truman Show[/i]) is quite good as Mrs. Dalloway the younger. There's some other good performances from the rest of the supporting cast as well.

Overall an effective, competant little film, but just a tad too [i]Masterpiece Theatre[/i]-ish to be truly great.