Mrs. Dalloway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mrs. Dalloway Reviews

bbcfloridabound
½ June 16, 2009
This movie is another from the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival. Its not a bad film, even though I only give it 2 1/2 stars, its just not a good movie for me. I am sure any women over 50 might enjoy this as she looks back at her life and wonders about the decisions she made. That's what the film is about, women just coming out of hospital is looking back at her life and wondering. My answer is just be happy with what you have, no matter how bad it is, be happy, if you went the other way you might have it worst. Its a British Film (BBC) its slow and dry but then again one might find it enjoyable if they read Virginia Wolff Novels as I believe its based on one of her books. 2 1/2 stars.
½ January 27, 2012
What did you expect from me? You know how much I love period pieces especially one that are particularly dull. Are reviewers swayed by the existence of corsets to continually rave about these pieces? Part of me thinks that is the case.
½ August 31, 2014
I liked "The Hours" better, but this is a good movie. Its set in the period between WWI and WWII, and to me it seems Victorian, so realize that. Understand that it focuses on two people who don't know each other: Septimus a shell shocked veteran, and Clarissa an upper class housewife. Also understand that the movie jumps back and forth between the past and the present of Clarissa's life. If you understand that you will be understand the movie. Kind of a downer, but makes you think about what is important to people.
½ October 25, 2009
Mrs. Dalloway (1997) Mrs. Dalloway The Novel by written by Virginia Wolf. This film version of Mrs Dalloway was made in 1997 by Dutch feminist film director Marleen Gorris (maker 1 of my fave films- Antonia‚??s Line). It was adaapted from Woolf's novel by British actress Eileen Atkins and starred Vanessa Redgrave in the title role. Redgrave is Dalloway ‚??hosting dinner parties which the main subject of the film. In Mrs. Dalloway all of the action, excepting flashbacks, takes place on a single day in June. It is an example of stream of consciousness storytelling; every scene closely tracks the momentary thoughts of a particular character. Very interesting British movie. Kudos go to all who participated in making this wonderful film. Vanessa Redgrave, as usual, is perfect as an aging dowager who settled for the "safe" path in life instead of seeking adventure and taking risks. When her old flame reappears, she reevaluates her choices and second-guesses the paths that she chose. The film also has a sub-plot about a shell-shocked World War I veteran who is in emotional torment and is inconsolable. The film works on two levels. It shows the interaction between proper British people who speak politely to one another, but the viewer senses that there are fierce and passionate undercurrents and important thoughts that seems to be unspoken. In addition, the film is a clear indictment of the stuffy and snobby British society of Post World War I England, in which a party could be of such importance that a person's reputation could hinge on its success. There is also a feminist slant in the movie. Can a woman who spends her time at home making parties and pleasing her husband ever feel fulfilled? Did Mrs. Dalloway make the right decision in "playing it safe" in life? That is up to the viewer to decide. Meanwhile, revel in the fabulous nuanced performances, the witty dialogue and the beautiful cinematography. This film is excellent.
July 1, 2009
Some cheesy camera effects, but not the worst film adaptation I've ever seen. Natasha McElhone needs to be in more things.
October 10, 2007
Totally disappointing dribble. This wasn't Vanessa Redgrave's best role. Could she have been more ditsy and mystified? The constant voiceover at the party was a bit much. What a bummer.
½ September 17, 2007
Gorris has met the challenge of Woolf's style, translating it into motion-picture terms with a surprising degree of success.
½ May 6, 2004
(DVD) (First Viewing, 1st Gorris film)

Well, considering that Virginia Woolf's novel is just about my all-time favorite book and one of the most sublime pieces of literature ever written, this film had a huge reputation to live up to. And it certainly doesn't embarass itself- it's quite good, actually, but just a tad lifeless. I didn't know how the screenwriters were going to adapt a book that is written almost entirely by using stream-of-consciousness; they have to make it literal for the film to work, and that kind of detracts from the stunning effect of Woolf's writing.

But Vanessa Redgrave gives a nice performance as the title character, and Natascha McElhone ([i]The Truman Show[/i]) is quite good as Mrs. Dalloway the younger. There's some other good performances from the rest of the supporting cast as well.

Overall an effective, competant little film, but just a tad too [i]Masterpiece Theatre[/i]-ish to be truly great.
February 13, 2016
This adaptation of Virginia Woolf's signature novel of the same name is a beautiful narrative about the titular matriarch's reflections on her choices made in her younger life one afternoon before her evening party, marred only by a peculiar subplot involving a shell-shocked soldier.
September 1, 2015
Watched the first half twice as E fell asleep the first time .... actually it's a difficult read turned into a difficult film, so a second look at the opening was a good way to get a handle on the structure and intention. It's well acted and no doubt true to the novel, which was no doubt groundbreaking in its day. It's more about message than character: and it didn't really speak to me from this time and place. The trials and tribulations of posh folk in the Twenties - nope.
½ August 31, 2014
½ April 16, 2014
This woman over 50 found Mrs. Dalloway to be mostly a delightful film. I didn't like what the main character said about the young soldier's suicide, but Woolf's ideas on that is explained by her own end. Looking back on one's life is a good thing to do once in a while, if only for appreciation. A very well done film with Vanessa Redgrave at the height of her power as a beautiful and great older actress.
½ May 18, 2013
How to turn one of the greatest pieces of 20th century literature into a boring, stupid TV drama about boring, stupid people.
February 1, 2013
People that do not like this film concentrate on Mrs. Dalloway's party, when in fact this is a deeper socio-political message that Virginia Woolf is illustrating specially about the casualties of war that linger way after wars are over and re emerge when new ones start.
May 22, 2012
Woolf would have liked it..
August 31, 2012
Mrs. Dalloway is a attractive artful novel, where writer has expressed the mental and social conditions of her time.
July 4, 2012
Not precisely riveting but somehow I managed to finish it. The book is a bit hard to read and same with this film.
May 24, 2012
Good. An interesting adaptation. 7.
½ January 27, 2012
½ December 29, 2011
An overly earnest adaptation of Virginia Woolf's inventive novel, turning stream-of-consciousness into stilted dialogue and imposing interpretations where Woolf wrote open-ended ambiguity.