70% The Equalizer Sep 26

The Muppet Movie Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 7, 2009
"Ever since the recent Muppet movie came out my 8 yr old nephew has been obsessed with them. So when he saw this streaming on Netflix, he begged me to watch it with him. I had never seen it before, but I really enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed watching my nephew watch it more then the actual movie. He gets very excited and jumps and screams at the t.v. and laughs very loud. OK so to put short, he's loud. I either get amused looks or dirty looks from fellow movie goer's when we go to the theater.
Back to he movie. I loved that it was a road-trip. I have made it known that I love a good road-trip flick. I adore Kermit. I think he's a great character for kids. It was funny. I laughed out loud a few times. I guess the only thing that really got on my nerves was all the singing. It is a known fact that with these movies there will be singing. I don't think it would have bothered me if the songs didn't last for almost ten minutes. My nephew said he could have done without them too, so I'm not alone in thinking it. But overall it was a fun movie that kids and adults can both watch and have a fun time with."
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 15, 2011
The Muppet Movie is a film that really touched my funny bone and my heart seeing as I am a huge Muppet fan. The plot shows how they got together and it really worked for me and was fun ride, other than the boring parts with the evil frog legs tycoon. The cast was funny and did good, escpially the Muppet cast, they are always likeable. The comedy was just as perfect as comedy gets, it was seriously a hilarious ride and I loved it. The movie is for true fans of puppets, and if you are you are sure to love the best of them all, the Muppets.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 17, 2007
Waka waka waka! Let the good times roll! Before I die of impatience for the new Muppet movie to arrive to Sweden, I thought I'd go back to the humble beginnings of these wonderfully timeless entertainers. More specifically, 1979.

Bubbling with life and great musical numbers, this tells the backstory of how all the muppets came to befriend each other. Featuring cameo performances from some of the biggest stars of the 70's (Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Mel Brooks and countless others), it has a lot to boast about in the "human half" of the cast.

Some of the special effects are actually pretty flabbergasting. Like how they made Kermit ride a bike in full visible view. I'm genuinely at a loss for how they did that, even if I have a fair idea. Either way, it's a good example of the dying art that the muppets have come to represent. You don't need a bunch of computer effects to make great entertainment. All you need is a little imagination and a team of passionate, hard-working people to help you realize your dream.

Jim Henson made a stroke of genius when he created this colorful gang of fun-loving characters. And the fact they're still around, more than 30 years later, goes to show how timeless they truly are.

So whether you're an old fan or new, I can highly recommend a visit to this first and original muppet movie. Many of its human stars may have faded out of relevance, but it's not really for them that we watch this film in the first place. It's for the green little frog and his wackadoodle friends.
Phil H

March 10, 2008
Classic Muppet movie from my childhood. The story and characters are alittle risky actually, for a family film. Some amazing scenes though, a huge Animal breaking through the roof of a building, Kermits stand of with Doc Hopper, the Muppet bus and the final sequence is very touching and superbly done.
check some awesome cameos and pretty funny dialog make this a retro classic, almost an historic film.

Henson is one of the greatest visionaries in film/TV, his work is genius and can reach all people from all races and backgrounds, everyone knows the Muppets and it was a joy and honour to grow up with them :)

Thank you Jim, you are missed.
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 31, 2011
I really think that this should be retitled "Breaking the Fourth Wall Jokes and Self Referentialness to the Nth Degree: The Movie". Seriously. That's actually not a problem at all though. This film within a film tells the story of how the Muppets got their start in Hollywood.

The Muppets have always been cool in my book, and I love how humans are just so accepting of them without a second thought. This is just a sweet, funny, and charming movie about following your dreams and not giving up hope.

This film would be just fine if it only featured the Muppets, but what really makes it even mroe fun and entertaining is the plethora of amazing cameos and some terrific performances (human and otherwise alike). I also noticed that Charles Durning's character here is pretty much a slightly less dark precursor to the one he played in First Blood, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I loved how this was all done, and, though it did cross my mind, I prefered not to obsess about how they pulled some of this off, and decided to be less callous and instead just think of the characters as really being alive and doing the things they do.

I hadn't seen this in years, and it isn't quite as brilliant as I once thought, but it is still a consistently witty, hilarious, and entertaining piece of entertainment. The biggest disappointent I have is that this sort of thing isn't really done any more. Here's to hoping the new upcoming film rectifies this.
michael e.
michael e.

February 7, 2011
Everyone grew up with the muppets and this movie is one of those nostalgic films that is exemplified when it comes to the muppets, Fantastic songs, great plot, and great acting, This is by far Jim Hensons Best film
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

January 18, 2011
We all love a good origin movie, right? What about an origin movie depicting how the Muppets got to their place? All right, count me in! "The Muppet Movie" is a prequel to the "The Muppet Show" and by George does it deliver tons of fun! Great writing, great music, great story, THIS MOVIE IS JUST GREAT!! Fun for all!

And now a classic dialogue scene by the ever-hilarious Waldorf and Statler:

Statler: "I'm Statler."
Waldorf: "I'm Waldorf. We're here to heckle "The Muppet Movie"."
Gate Guard: "Gentlemen, that's straight ahead. Private screening room."
Statler: "Private screening?"
Waldorf: "Yeah, they're afraid to show it in public."
AJ V

September 6, 2010
The first and the best Muppet movie ever! If you like the Muppets you can't miss it. I've seen this movie a million times, I love it, it's hilarious. Of course, the jokes are dated now, but if you know your 70s culture, you'll find it fantastic.
Richard C

July 21, 2010
B
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
Watch a Muppet film and instantly feel on top of the world! This is a bit of magic from my childhood that I never tire of watching. I love the Muppets!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
classic in every way
Jason S

October 5, 2007
Like all Muppet movies this one is full of guest stars. The story is good and any fan of the muppets should like this origin movie.
Lafe F

June 7, 2007
The original Muppet Movie is simply the best of the bunch. It's truly magical. It's an origin movie which shows how each of the Muppets met each other. There are many famous humans making appearances in various comical roles. The songs are great, especially the beautiful "Rainbow Connection" sung by Kermit the Frog in the sweeping opening scene. The ending scene is awesome once they get to Hollywood and make their own "Rainbow Connection". This movie has a lot of heart. Young and old alike can appreciate it for its honest fun.

Favorite Scenes: The Rainbow Connection and the Hollywood studio extravaganza.
Lanning :

March 24, 2006
My dream job would be as a muppeteer. If I could play the drums like Animal, I'd turn pro. Jim Henson died way too early, but his son has done a good job of carrying on the family tradition. If you don't find muppet movies funny, we will probably never be flixster friends.
Dann M

June 3, 2012
Jim Henson's Muppets hit the big time in The Muppet Movie. In their first feature film, the Muppets retell the story of how Kermit the Frog set off for Hollywood and found a group of friends who shared his dream of stardom. Like the television show, the film is full of witty, campy humor, and features a number of celebrity cameos from the likes of Steve Martin, Mel Brooks, Bob Hope, Richard Pryor, Orson Welles, and many more. Additionally, the musicals are immensely fun and entertaining, delivering such classics as "The Rainbow Connection" and "Can You Picture That." The Muppet Movie is a classic family film that's fun for all ages.
Dannielle A

November 2, 2007
I remember seeing this as a kid and loving the music but not getting a single joke. The adults in the room would chuckle at something and I'd ask what was so funny. Seeing it again as an adult, I finally understand the subtle nuances of humor and the puns. My favorite parts were always those involving Miss Piggy and they still are!
Bradley T. Johnson
Bradley T. Johnson

June 3, 2011
A classic and endearing film, both touching and funny, with great musical numbers and a cast of crazy characters. Overall Rating:94
Christopher H

May 28, 2011
Easily one of the greatest and most memorable films ever made and, by far, my favorite of all the Muppet films. With the most consistent musical numbers, the cheekiest wit, and plain and simply just an over all good film, The Muppet Movie cannot be matched or duplicated.
Yinalí R

August 22, 2007
Wooo!
Sarah P

November 27, 2011
Pretty much a classic. It was interesting to remember watching it from when I was a kid to watching it now. There are things that I "get" now that I didn't before. I really like it, but probably not something I could watch all the time.