Murder by Death (1976)
Average Rating: 6.1/10
Reviews Counted: 16
Fresh: 11 | Rotten: 5
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 4
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 2
Average Rating: 3.8/5
User Ratings: 12,739
As penned by Neil Simon, this satire of movie mysteries is set in motion when several prominent detectives are invited to the mansion of the reclusive Lionel Twain (Truman Capote). In Ten Little Indians fashion, the gathered sleuths are locked into the forbidding mansion, and subject to various death-dealing devices. While struggling for their lives, the vainglorious gumshoes continue to try to one-up one another. Each character is broadly based on a famous literary detective: Sidney Wang (Peter
Jan 1, 1976 Wide
Dec 18, 2001
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Jamessir Bensonmum t...
Yetta the Maid
Marcel the chauffeur
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Murder by Death is a very good silly-funny Neil Simon satirical comedy, with a super all-star cast cavorting as recognizable pulp fiction detectives gathered at the home of Truman Capote, wealthy hedonist fed up with contrived gumshoe plots.
Director Moore and writer Neil Simon seem to have no real affection for either the characters they plunder mercilessly for laughs, or the locked room puzzle they turn on its head. Introductions over, the film slides downhill.
This spoof of the great fictional-film detectives offers consistently funny scenes.
So it all doesn't amount to much, and -- some knuckle-dragging 'he's gay'/'no I'm not' humor aside -- it's more Scooby Doo than Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Still, it's an amusing tea-cozy of a spoof with an enjoyable cast.
Generally successful send-up of classic mysteries with a lame finale.
A sometime funny satire on the old murder-mystery detective series of the 1930s and '40s. Some jokes hit, while others just bomb.
Hit & miss mystery spoof hits more often than it misses.
...pokes fun at every old fictional detective you can think of and every cliché you've ever wanted to red pencil out of a script.
Audience Reviews for Murder by Death
Movies Like Murder by Death
- Sam Diamond: Stop that. Stop that, I said.
- Dick Charleston: What is it, Diamond?
- Sam Diamond: The nurse is giving my palm the finger, the dirty old broad.
- Dora Charleston: That's probably the cook...come in!
- Dick Charleston: Darling, the poor woman is stone deaf.
- Dora Charleston: I'm sorry, I forgot...COME IN!
- Sam Diamond: You're good, Charleston. You're not my kind of cop, but you're smart and you smell good.
- Milo Perrier: I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.
- Sidney Wang: I like it, but don't understand it.
- Sam Diamond: I owe Miss Skeffington here two years and three months back pay.
- Tess Skeffington: I don't care about the money, Sam.
- Sam Diamond: Neither do I.
- Tess Skeffington: Please excuse Sam. He was shot in the head last week; he shouldn't even be out of the hospital.
Discuss Murder by Death on our Movie forum!