Murder, Set, Pieces Reviews

½ July 31, 2009
This "movie" promotes itself for being shocking, banned in the UK, and refused for processing by three film developing studios. It's not shocking, but I for one would ban or not process this film because of how absolutely poorly made it is.

I don't even know where to being with my laundry list of complaints.

It's edited like someone with severe memory loss and acute ADHD did it. It's written without any regard for form, story, originality, or genuine talent for horror. I only believe there was a person on set, one Nick Palumbo, who called himself a director, but didn't actually bother directing anything other than stock body parts and corn syrup. It's all intentional shock and no genuine scare. On top of that, it's not even thoughtful gore. The blood coloring is off and different in every scene; the splatters are utterly without the logic of physics and more than gratuitous. The majority of props are very weak in terms of appearing real or showing originality; the one exception is a Jack-in-the-Box of a skull which contains a miniature of the killer in it.

And this script, more holes than swiss cheese! This killer would have been caught several times over by the end of the film; he is a sloppy killer AND he shots someone in an occupied and no doubt video-monitored adult bookstore (which by the way happens because of an utterly badly placed sudden armed robbery). The film layers on bad horror cliches like an overstuffed sub sandwhich; within two seconds of each other, the killer brandishes a chainsaw and the protagonist gets a butcher knife for defense. I'm not even going to go into how lame it is to throw around Nazi familial connections and serial killer flashbacks to a childhood of mother hatred.

This is worth seeing to remind one to treasure the great films that are out there by showing the utter crap in comparison. Shock lovers and gore hounds, prepare for disappointment, as this garbage is not in the same league as most of the video nasty "banned" faux-snuff favorites. I cannot say too many times how much of a waste of time and red dye this film is. AVOID AVOID AVOID Only see it if you MUST fulfill a list of shock films, but then only to note how poor is in comparison to the rest of the field.
thefog1331
½ July 6, 2007
Next to Nekromantik, this is the worst so-called "movie" of all time.
½ September 30, 2011
Although the acting is atrocious, and the story doesn't flow that well, Murder-Set-Pieces is still really entertaining. I can't say it's a great movie, but I liked it a lot. The violence was awesome, and the message behind it will definitely make you think... if you can understand German. Yeah, here's the reason everybody on this page is saying the movie didn't make sense. This film is in English, but at times the photographer will speak German. And it's ONLY when he's speaking German that his actions and story are explained. I enjoyed it, because I can understand German.
Murder-Set-Pieces is a commentary on the Nazis' trivialization of sex and childbirth, resulting in a neglected child who grew up hating his mother and all women like her. Unless you don't understand German, then it's just gory fun... with bad acting.
July 5, 2008
Quite dull, actually.
PC79
½ July 28, 2007
Unusual! Gives a straight insight on serial killers.
May 8, 2007
Much hated film is actually much more watchable if viewed as a comedy. The lead psycho is hilarious if viewed as a psychotic Schwarenagger.
½ October 15, 2012
One of those films that I've always heard of, but had never got around to seeing just because of the way that the people behind the production chose to promote it, essentially spamming horror movie message boards about how great the film was, how excited they were for it to come out, but never really admitting that they were a part of the film's street-team.

That said, this was awful, pretentious wankery as a guy just kills and wanders around Vegas, then kills some more, it's pretty fucking pointless.

Pass, unless your morbid curiosity gets the better of you.
June 2, 2007
Most intense and Shocking Film I've seen in 15 years- BUT, Get the UNCENSORED Directors Cut!!! Watch for the films director, Nick Palumbo furure films- this young visionary of the Scary is on his way to the TOP of the Terror Totem Pole!
September 21, 2009
This film was labeled "one of the most disturbing films ever made" on its own advertisements, yeah that was false advertising, this film is disturbing it is stupid and quite honestly highly unlikely. The idea of violence against women and children is incredibly disturbing. But in order to disturb me it A) has to be somewhat believeable and B) I have to care about the characters. This film is just horribly made and isn't moving or captivating but just plain bad. It so wants to be what it claims to be in it's advertisements, that it fails miserably.
February 19, 2009
Okay, this is a mixed review. First of all, I liked it simply because I'm an all-out horror fan. Second, I loved the cameos by Tony Todd, Gunnar Hansen, and Edwin Neal. I thought that was great. But this movie wasn't really controversial to me, and nothing we haven't seen before. The litte Jade girl was the best actress in the whole movie! Overall, I liked it, but I was expecting more shock and controversy. I enjoyed it though.
½ October 8, 2007
Really stupid, brain dead movie. The dinner conversation scene is hilarious. The 'gore' is just blood poured over some skanky girls. Too idiotic to be disturbing. 2 stars only because I've seen much worse. I've seen both the R and uncut versions, they are equally bad.
½ April 6, 2008
This waste of film did manage to accomplish the nihilistic tone that I felt was missing from the awful film adaptation of 'American Psycho,' but that's not enough to recommend this needlessly graphic, one dimensional and boring film.
August 16, 2007
This movie was horrible. The story dragged and really I cared about almost none of the characters. Add to that major plot gaps and it makes for a bad movie. The only good part of this film was Jade Risser who at age 11 out acted everyone.
½ January 6, 2015
Si es bastante malona, jaja. Me la esperaba mejor hecha, algo tipo "The Killer Inside Me" pero no... es una película de 'Serie B' de esas que parecen que las hizo un estudiante que apenas sabe como prender la cámara. Del guión y las actuaciones, ni hablamos. Le pondré una estrellita y media solo porque la sangre se ve chida y el planteamiento tiene dos tres cosillas interesantes aunque nunca cuaja.
January 4, 2014
Sick, depressing, shameful, repulsive trash.
There is no need for this film to exist, except for the reason to please deeply disturbed people.
April 17, 2014
I knew it. My first instinct was not to watch this movie because it would be crap. But I did. I wish I just didn't.

Wow, this is such a waste of a lot of things. A waste of money, a waste of running time, a waste of SOME good actors, I could go on, you know. This is a very pretentious film; it tries to give the man's killing of prostitutes a deeper insight by making it highly stylish. But no. That doesn't mask the razor-thin plot line that ultimately drags on because only little things happen in some dragged out scenes. The film is about 80 minutes long, but believe me, it feels like you're watching a 3-hour long movie. I feel so sad for the people who participated in making this horrid piece of crap.
½ January 19, 2014
Vile, trashy, horrific, disgusting, and just plain wrong, this "movie" belongs in a dumpster along with the director/writer. It clearly borrows from superior films of this type like American Psycho and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer but the acting is atrocious in comparison. I saw the director's cut which was disjointed and random with it's editing (similar to the above-mentioned films), but there was no rhyme or reason to any of it and the director inserted clips from 9/11 for shits and giggles. The only plus side to this is it's chalk-full of beautiful naked women and you can tell that all the budget went into the gore effects. There are some truly ballsy scenes: one involving a baby and another involving a little girl, but this type of film honestly shouldn't exist it's in such bad taste.
July 5, 2013
Twisted, sick and incredibly gory. If you find anything of a plot here, I would honestly be interested in being enlightened. I found this like an over indulgent glimpse into the head of a person I had really got no interest in visiting.
May 28, 2013
It was messed up when I was younger, now its just self parody. It's not very good at all lol.
July 29, 2012
I love deranged films, but this movie fell short of being a great one. The opening was awesome and gave slight chills, but as the movie progressed it became duller by the minute.