• PG-13, 1 hr. 37 min.

86% The Knick: Season 1

The Muse Reviews

Lucas M

January 2, 2012
Original neurotic comedy, Albert Brooks' The Muse it's not very funny, dispite being entretaining.
Apeneck F

July 21, 2011
Albert Brooks tale of a Hollywood writer facing the end of his career is unintentionally ironic and kinda sad to watch. The help of major Tinseltown players do little to support a work wherein Brooks himself only comes across as bitter and alienating. Sharon Stone as the titular character: blech. Only Andie MacDowell escapes unscathed. Pass.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 20, 2010
I normally like Albert Brooks's films. Obviously Broadcast News and Defending Your Life are fantastic, and in those films, his neurotic, Woody Allen demeanor is charming, clever, and funny. But here he's just annoying and occasionally he's almost creepily over-bearing. As a film, The Muse has a lot of wasted time spent on people driving in the "beautiful" plasticity of L.A. and banal dialogue like "You should call him." [Dramatic pause.] "I'll call him." A film exploring the writing process might have been more interesting, but like his character, I fear Brooks has lost his edge.
Luke B

August 21, 2008
It's gentle, warm and funny rather than being a hilarious attack on Hollywood. Yes it captures the natures of Hollywood fads and the shallow nature of the industry, but never in a convincing way. This isn't ALtman's The Player. Some celebrity cameos are quite funny with Cameron and Scorsese parodying themselves, but they do feel rather thrown in at the last minute. Not enough of Bridges, who can own any film, and Brooks just comes off as whiny and stupid. Perhaps it could have been better if the screenplay to Brooks' movie within a movie sounded any good, but all Stone can inspire is a tepid Hollywood idea like so many others.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Funny!
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 19, 2007
A screen-writer (Albert Brooks) who desperately needs inspiration get helps from Sharon Stone who has him convinced that she's a modern-day muse. Despite an over-done musical score and an overly anxious Albert Brooks, I still found the movie to be very entertaining. Sharon Stone is very funny and the script is full of clever moments.

I love when James Cameron comes to the muse and she tells him to stay out of the water. I wish he listened since his talent was wasted for years with him just making under-water documentaries. I also like how the muse gives Brooks and Rob Reiner the same idea for the same movie. The Muse isn't for everyone. But if you like movies about the people that make them, then films like the Player and the Muse are for you.
alanjayh
alanjayh

July 1, 2008
funny in spots..Stone annoys......at times more a peek at inside hollywood workings....
iLeo
iLeo

December 15, 2007
Hilarious!
February 10, 2013
Ok...those who know me know that I like a little quirkiness every now and then. It's mostly in my music, but sometimes in my movies. I love Albert Brooks movies too. Broadcast News single handedly made me want to be an executive producer in TV news and sparked me to enter Radio/TV/Film in college. The night I am writing this spotlight happens to be THE night I actually watched The Muse. It was adorable, quirky, quite funny and just a relaxing movie to watch. Let me tell you all about it...

The dialogue in Brooks' movies always comfort me, humor me and make me feel so down-to-Earth. I think, for the most part, people are insecure about a lot of things. And in the same vein as Woody Allen, Brooks does an excellent job of being the average Joe who cannot catch a break. Yes his characters can get annoying (they actually seem to annoy most of the women I know), but that is his forte. The key to Brooks is making a movie with intelligent, humorous dialogue and memorable characters who touch us in some way, if even to annoy us. The realism he brings to the screen always intrigues me.

In The Muse, Brooks does what has been done in several movies, and that is present Hollywood making fun of Hollywood. They tried it in Bowfinger, with some success, Get Shorty, with MUCH success, and now The Muse. Now, I'm not a big Sharon Stone fan (acting that is), but she pulls off her character very well as the Muse. She is self-absorbed, whiny and demanding. Ok, maybe she did not need to do that much acting, but she looks great on the screen and is very believable as a beautiful inspiration to middle-aged men.

Albert, for the second time that I know of, plays a Hollywood career man. He is a screenwriter who has "lost his edge." His movies have become stale and the studio he had signed a deal with drops him. Suddenly he is out of work and old news. The scene where he tries to meet with Steven Spielberg and is issued a "walk on" pass to the studio rather than a "drive on" pass indicated just how fast Hollywood can love ya, then spit ya out as used up food.

Desperately searching for some sort of inspiration to bring him back his edge, he goes to visit his best friend Jack, played by Jeff Bridges. Jack has had recent success in Hollywood, including an Oscar, and attributes it to a Muse. It takes some convincing, but Brooks' desperation leads him to try anything. He soon begins doing whatever it takes to win the Muse's interest as a prospective "client."

Without telling you the whole story, the meat of the movie centers around what the Muse does (or doesn't do) to help bring him inspiration. The situations, dialogue and unbelievable things that happen while trying to build back Brooks' edge have even the audience suckered in to the Muse's abilities. By the end of the movie (and I cannot give away too much), everyone in the movie and watching the movie are dumbfounded by the things that happen just by trying and how silly things we could do every day are chalked up to the inspiration or brilliance of others.

It is such a cute movie, perfect for couples who just want a silly movie to watch. My wife and I loved it. The Muse has a couple of messages that are pretty straight-forward. First of all, Hollywood is a big joke. I honestly cannot believe how anyone can base their career in Hollywood. The only place worse is Washington DC. Also, It does not matter what you use to inspire you to do great things. However, the point is, YOU CAN DO GREAT THINGS! Everyone can. Everyone has a different way of bringing it to fruition, but we all have it in us. We just need to bring it out.

In summary, I recommend seeing The Muse. Warning though...the ending is a bit cheesy. It's cute, but cheesy. It's also full of cameos by TONS of Hollywood favorites, including Jennifer Tilly, James Cameron, Martin Scorcese, Rob Reiner, Steven Wright and many more. When you are feeling like something fluffy, go rent it.
June 6, 2010
Brooks and Stone I'm not a big fan of, but love that MacDowell. She's still kinda' hot today...But the movie wasn't all that"
jsbond008
May 14, 2008
Brooks is his typical sarcastic, sardonic self, in this Hollywood-poking movie. makes me miss LA in the 90's. So much has changed in less than 10 years thanks to e-mail. freakky
June 22, 2007
Sharon Stone at her most utterly charmless. Not enough to prop up Albert Brooks' down-in-the-dumps character.
jeffriguez
December 6, 2006
Two movies war for top spot and final say in "The Muse." One is a satire on the business of Hollywood, the other a featherweight comedy of minor errors. We know that Albert Brooks is more than capable of doing a good job with either, but because the movie is equal parts both premises, neither one fully succeeds. Sharon Stone has moments that are cringe-inducing, and the presence of a vacuous Andie MacDowell does nothing to bolster the movie's satirical side -- quite the opposite, in fact. When she's oncreen, the movie becomes a subpar chick flick. But Brooks' writing on the other side, the sharper side, has shades of his best work, and he's one of the few actors who's never funnier than when he's doing his own jokes. And his half of the movie is hilarious.
April 30, 2006
It was witty in some parts, but I think overall it just kind of missed its mark. Especially since Sharon Stone was in it, gah.
filmlover1994
December 30, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
August 6, 2013
Manages to go the entire 90 minutes or so without ever really making you laugh, though it appears to always be on the verge of accomplishing this.
June 27, 2013
Great movie, gets better every time I watch it! What's with the negative reviews?
April 4, 2013
One of my favorite movies. I know it didn't get good reviews, but for some reason, it always leaves me feeling good and some of the scenes hit a silly funny bone in me.
July 5, 2007
'The Snooze' is more like it. Albert Brooks' worst film.
November 15, 2012
Good Brooks but not great Brooks.