Music and Lyrics - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Music and Lyrics Reviews

January 4, 2008
Love this movie. Okay, I think it's more than a bit a rehash of The Wedding Singer, but I can excuse that because it's just such fun to watch!
I love the Pop song too, even though Hugh Grant probably shouldn't sing. I have to admit after my first rewatch in years, I upgraded this to five stars and got on eBay looking for the soundtrack!
Cora is a great character too, I enjoyed her parts.
Drew Barrymore need I say more. She does these funny rom com roles so well, and her clothes are beautiful here too.
The bit where Hugh's washed up rock star nearly puts his hip out doing his moves on stage gave me a laugh.
thmtsang
June 24, 2007
Good original rom com. Very catchy music and excellent take on Wham duo. Hugh Grant plays a 80s pop star who has lost his glory. He teams up with a hip new songstress who wants him to write a song for them but he gets writer's block. A girl (Drew) who waters his plants helps him out.
May 26, 2007
The first five minutes were pure gold and the rest of the film an everlasting backslide. But the two leads are pretty charismatic, so it wasn't, like, a complete waste of time. The love song is nice in a poppy, catchy kind of way.
July 5, 2007
Certainly a brave romcom as Hugh Grant plays a has been 80's rock star (think: the other guy in Wham, no, not George Michael, the other guy) looking to not has been. That means a singing and dancing Hugh - that's where the bravery comes in, him to do it, and you to watch. Things look bleak for his career dreams (and this film unashamedly links success and romance - you can't have one w/o t'other) until romcom magic happens and in walks Drew Barrymore ... and now I've told you everything. Still not as offensive as one might think given my description.
July 20, 2009
Sweet and silly. I actually rather like the one bit of melodrama when Alex claims Sophie is as broken and neurotic as her evil ex's novelization of her, and she pleads, "What are you saying?! Please take that back!"
movieguru12
February 21, 2008
Really Funny!!!!!!!! Love Drew & Hugh (:
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
One of my favourite rom coms. A must see!
January 25, 2011
I've got to say that this is a really likable movie. Hugh Grant is usually always funny and this was no exception. Drew Barrymore also tends to work well in romantic comedies and make them more than just cheap laughs and heart felt stories. This has a music video in the beginning that is maybe one of the greatest mock of an 80s style band i've seen. While it's outrageously great, it's very fun if you're in the mood.
January 24, 2011
It was really cute. Incredibly cliched though. Worth a watch.

Grade: C
July 29, 2010
B-
June 10, 2007
At the centre of this romantic comedy are two performances that win you over with their charm, namely two fantastic actors Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant veterns of the romantic comedy genre. Nowhere near as lame as the trailer suggests, Music and Lyrics is very entertaining. Romantic, witty, satirical and with a really catchy song to boot only harden cynics wouldn't in some shape or form enjoy this film. One of the funniest parts of the film is the satire of the hottest teenage pop icon Cora who is a walking contradiction at once a Buddist and a total scank. If you want a light, enjoyable romantic comedy for a rainy afternoon than this is the one for you.
February 11, 2007
This isn't going to rock any worlds, but it's a fun little movie to have on in the background while you play cards or do something substantial. You can tune out the actual plot, get vaguely involved in Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore's generalized flirting, and listen to a joke or two in passing. Also, I found Barrymore's constant sneaking around highly amusing; my friends and I eventually started joking that she's actually hiding from invisible monsters through the course of the movie. That's her character arc. Someone needs to make a Youtube edit of the movie reflecting this.

Anyway, it's entirely a serviceable chick flick, but fun enough for anyone to get caught up in without being TOO embarrassed. Not worth going out and renting, but maybe for catching on television.
½ February 5, 2010
Music & Lyrics has heart and never let's you down. The only flaw I had it that the end is left open the way I hoped it wouldn't, but other than that, it was a great turnout.
TomBowler
½ August 2, 2009
a film which hangs its hopes on a good song. no song is that good.
FiLmCrAzY
September 3, 2007
i liked this movie its i nice romcom and hugh grant is hot in it
i like the storyline it sort of states the meaning you dont know what you loved and wanted the most unitll you lose it!
MANUGINO
September 23, 2008
I have always like this movie and seen it again since the last time it was just like seeing it for the first time, its still very funny and clever. Alex Fletcher, a washed-up '80s pop star, has been reduced to working the nostalgia circuit at county fairs and amusement parks. The charismatic and talented musician gets a chance at a comeback when reigning diva Cora Corman invites him to write and record a duet with her, but there's a problem, Alex hasn't written a song in years, he's never written lyrics, and he has to come up with a hit in a matter of days. Enter Sophie Fisher, Alex's beguilingly quirky plant lady, whose flair for words strikes a chord with the struggling songwriter. On the rebound from a bad relationship, Sophie is reluctant to collaborate with anyone, especially commitment-phobe Alex. As their chemistry heats up at the piano and under it, Alex and Sophie will have to face their fears and the music if they want to find the love and success they both deserve.
August 25, 2008
Starting with one of the best opening scenes I've seen in past years. It's easy for me to like this, cuz I've been growing up listening (forced by my mother...) to Abba, A-ha and different 80's pop bands.

Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore act good together and they have a good on-screen chemistry. Does Grant do any other roles than romcoms? Is he so badly typecast?

It's totally predictable, has a great 80's soundtrack (Grant sings his songs by himself!) but a terrible modern soundtrack with these awful Britney-like pop songs. Still I enjoyed it cuz there's a lot of dialogue in it that's really good and funny.
March 5, 2007
Cute.
½ June 26, 2008
Movie about a washed-up pop star (Grant) and a young writer (Barrymore) who figure out a way to write a successful song and learn a bit about love.
Chiefilms
½ March 9, 2008
Should get three stars because Drew Barrymore nearly ruins the film, but Hugh Grant is perfect for his role. The music video that starts the movie is probably one of the best things a comedy could offer.