—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Music of the Heart Reviews

Spencer S

October 10, 2010
There is a lot of dramatic credibility attached to this film, which isn't warranted. Yes, Meryl Streep is the lead and she received an Oscar nomination for the role, but this film is less dramatic than much more soapy. This film falls into the sub-genre of "white woman saves inner city children" which also includes "Freedom Writers" and "Dangerous Minds," and overdone and quite manipulative genre that needs to be done away with. You will either find this true story enlightening and sweet hearted or overly dramatic, based on taste or being able to stomach racially motivated storylines. Though, in general, I find these kinds of films tedious and over the top, the last half hour did make me well up. Real life music teacher Roberta Guaspari is inspirational, and her story is at least treated with respect. It is also interesting to note this is the only film Wes Craven has directed that has nothing to do with horror or sci-fi, and for those unaware of his finesse, this is a great showcase of his talents. This is an entertaining film, if a little overdone in its execution.
jjnxn
jjnxn

November 13, 2009
Inspiring true story with good acting and a compelling narrative. A nice change of pace from Wes Craven.
Jennifer X

June 22, 2007
it wasn't bad, despite the fact how much i despise the cliched inner city kids can do sports/be intelligent/sing/spell/play an instrument despite GREAT ODDS and there's always a random kid dying or doing drugs or something. and meryl streep is great at playing angry women.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Very well done. The music is beautiful.
John B

January 13, 2014
Another one of these "teacher goes to the school of hard knocks" types of film. I recall that Richard Dreyfuss did the same thing continuing on the Mr. Chips theme. His film seems unnecessary and Meryl's otherwise good performance seems equally as unnecessary. We've seen this story before.
Jedd Y

January 5, 2011
It was hard for me to sit through this film, because it was a big parade of wasted opportunities. The filmmakers had a good true story for their source material, good casting with Meryl Streep and most of the other actors, and best of all good music. But it was all lost on a terrible screenplay and clumsy direction from Wes Craven - who is evidently more comfortable with horror and suspense thriller movies. By the time the late Isaac Stern and other very famous real-life violinists walk onto the Carnegie Hall stage, I felt numbed and unaffected. This is terrible because, as a former violin student, that could have been the big fireworks ending. It wasn't.
Andrew F

May 18, 2006
It is a really good movie. The Fiddlefest is really cool. Meryl Streep is great in it.
Marcus W

March 15, 2009
Tries hard, only to overdo the schmaltz. Wes Craven should stick to horror...
whosinthenews
whosinthenews

April 2, 2012
Music of the Heart is the inspiring tale of a music teacher who inspires her students to stop smoking drugs and prostituting and start playing music... and then murders them.
Sunil J

August 10, 2007
The music teacher that changes lives has been done before but this was nice.
iLeo
iLeo

December 20, 2007
Great movie!
JennabGreat
March 11, 2011
After watching this I said: 1) Wow, Meryl was great (as usual), and Angela Bassett was too and 2) WES CRAVEN DIRECTED THIS!?
Rozea1
March 5, 2009
This is an uplifting story of a woman who wants to make a difference in her community through music. Wonderful.
July 27, 2008
A really good movie...I've watched this movie several times....so inspirational...I really did enjoy this movie...not only was it inspiring but uplifting as well.....
August 5, 2007
Great movie. I read somewhere that Meryl Streep spent six hours a day for months learning to play the violin for this part. It may not be and Academy Award winning performance, but it is still one of my top favorites.
gumnerf
April 21, 2007
Okay, this story became a little too standard, but virtues for this one are that it is based on a true story and the calibre of the people involved is just astounding from the actors and especially the guest performers. I loved it!!
Ida K

January 11, 2008
This beautiful concert that you've just heard could be the very last concert for the East Harlem Violin Program. The board of education and the district attorney think that music isn't important. But they are wrong! And they're gonna get a *big* fight!
iloveoz
November 28, 2007
What a great movie this was. I love the ones based on a true story and this was a good example of that.
Meryl Streep was awesome as was the entire crew.
This was a great feel good movie.
moviegirl50
August 11, 2006
Meryl Streep is once again wonderful in this true story about a violin teacher working to keep her music program alive in East Harlem. I enjoyed it-not as good as Mr. Holland's Opus, but still good.
July 20, 2007
Great movie! It's so inspiring and amazing. Meryl 100% deserved her nomination. She was fantastic. Loved this movie SO much!