Music of the Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Music of the Heart Reviews

October 10, 2010
There is a lot of dramatic credibility attached to this film, which isn't warranted. Yes, Meryl Streep is the lead and she received an Oscar nomination for the role, but this film is less dramatic than much more soapy. This film falls into the sub-genre of "white woman saves inner city children" which also includes "Freedom Writers" and "Dangerous Minds," and overdone and quite manipulative genre that needs to be done away with. You will either find this true story enlightening and sweet hearted or overly dramatic, based on taste or being able to stomach racially motivated storylines. Though, in general, I find these kinds of films tedious and over the top, the last half hour did make me well up. Real life music teacher Roberta Guaspari is inspirational, and her story is at least treated with respect. It is also interesting to note this is the only film Wes Craven has directed that has nothing to do with horror or sci-fi, and for those unaware of his finesse, this is a great showcase of his talents. This is an entertaining film, if a little overdone in its execution.
jjnxn
½ November 13, 2009
Inspiring true story with good acting and a compelling narrative. A nice change of pace from Wes Craven.
½ June 22, 2007
it wasn't bad, despite the fact how much i despise the cliched inner city kids can do sports/be intelligent/sing/spell/play an instrument despite GREAT ODDS and there's always a random kid dying or doing drugs or something. and meryl streep is great at playing angry women.
½ November 7, 2006
Very well done. The music is beautiful.
½ January 13, 2014
Another one of these "teacher goes to the school of hard knocks" types of film. I recall that Richard Dreyfuss did the same thing continuing on the Mr. Chips theme. His film seems unnecessary and Meryl's otherwise good performance seems equally as unnecessary. We've seen this story before.
½ January 5, 2011
It was hard for me to sit through this film, because it was a big parade of wasted opportunities. The filmmakers had a good true story for their source material, good casting with Meryl Streep and most of the other actors, and best of all good music. But it was all lost on a terrible screenplay and clumsy direction from Wes Craven - who is evidently more comfortable with horror and suspense thriller movies. By the time the late Isaac Stern and other very famous real-life violinists walk onto the Carnegie Hall stage, I felt numbed and unaffected. This is terrible because, as a former violin student, that could have been the big fireworks ending. It wasn't.
½ May 18, 2006
It is a really good movie. The Fiddlefest is really cool. Meryl Streep is great in it.
March 15, 2009
Tries hard, only to overdo the schmaltz. Wes Craven should stick to horror...
whosinthenews
½ April 2, 2012
Music of the Heart is the inspiring tale of a music teacher who inspires her students to stop smoking drugs and prostituting and start playing music... and then murders them.
August 10, 2007
The music teacher that changes lives has been done before but this was nice.
iLeo
December 20, 2007
Great movie!
September 1, 2015
It's a sweet movie with another great performance from Meryl Streep and great supporting work from Angela Bassett. It sometimes falls into the typical music teacher movie tropes that Mr. Holland's Opus had too especially the big concert ending but all and all it is a very touching movie and a vast turn for director Wes Craven
½ July 8, 2015
I'm surprised Rotten Tomatoes didn't give it a higher grade. They should know better. This was a fantastic movie that deserved a Fresh rating
½ April 19, 2015
An odd choice for usual horror mongol Wes Craven, Music of the heart still has a strong performance by Meryl Streep along with enough heart to elevate it beyond the predictability
½ January 20, 2008
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, so sloppily and unabashedly sentimental that it can make you laugh and cry at the same time -- and often at the same things. Who would have thought Wes Craven was capable of such a thing.
December 13, 2013
Meryl Streep's realistic performance as the flawed lead elevates this formulaic, sentimental picture just past mediocrity.
August 20, 2011
Formulaic but inspirational movie with Streep in an outstanding role. Even her violin "faking" was not bad -- I've seen much worse. Like Mr. Holland's Opus and other movies of this ilk, the students sound way better than they would in real life. A definite departure for Wes Craven that showed he can do more than slasher movies.
May 29, 2011
it's not great now, but when I was in love with NSync I loved it. Thats why I am rating it like I am.
½ March 11, 2011
After watching this I said: 1) Wow, Meryl was great (as usual), and Angela Bassett was too and 2) WES CRAVEN DIRECTED THIS!?