My Beautiful Girl, Mari Reviews

½ October 24, 2009
This Korean animation is a beautifully artistic film, that also contains a lot of heart. It perfectly captures the joys of childhood, from a reflective view of an adult. This makes for a sweet, but never patronising, view of the innocence of friendships from years gone by. The animation remains simple, perhaps too much so for some, but it keeps it's focus on the story and that's what counts.
½ June 21, 2007
Not sure what I'm most disappointed in: The mundane storyline (sans any appreciable climax), the generally unlikeable leads or the Flash movie vector art animation. Ultimately forgettable. For great family-friendly fantasy fare (whew!) - anime style ...(read more)- check out Hayao Miyazaki's library. Nice cat animations, though.
May 13, 2007
This relatively short and sometimes confusing Korean animation would appeal to the Studio Ghibli fans. Not many reviewers seemed to like the vector style animation but I liked it a lot and I loved all the fantasy sequences. Did anyone catch the Adobe building in what I believe is Seoul? Great music from the seemingly always brilliant Byeongwoo Lee.
½ February 19, 2015
One of the most original animated features I've ever seen. Lyrical, nostalgic, fantastical, and visually stunning. Will watch over and over.
March 25, 2012
I'm Pretty Sure It Isn't Technically Anime

If nothing else, this is for once a movie where a Young Boy's Coming of Age isn't completely about sex. There's a girl, and I kind of started to feel as though there was more between the two boys that the movie was entirely telling us, but mostly, it was a boy learning how to deal with the Adult World. This is refreshing, if nothing else. I really get tired of these Classic Movies where the only way they work as a story is if you can accept that sex is the most important milestone in a young boy's life. And while I do freely acknowledge that young boys think an awful lot about sex, I think there's more to becoming an adult than just developing sexuality. In fact, I tend to think that the development of sexuality is the most boring part of growing up. I can't help wondering if this is another Guy Issue. Though I never really talked to guys about it when we were all Coming of Age ourselves, of course.

Namoo is finding life difficult. His father is dead. His mother has a boyfriend. His cat keeps running away. His grandmother talks about dying. His best friend, Jun-ho, is going away to school in Seoul. The Tough Girl doesn't like him. Even when people try to include him, he doesn't feel as though he belongs. Through a series of events which I didn't entirely follow but which don't entirely matter, he discovers that taking a certain marble to the top of a disused lighthouse will cause a magical Thing wherein he ends up in another world entirely. There, he encounters Pale Flying Girl Mari. Jun-ho doesn't believe him, but Namoo keeps returning to the other world. Things are better there for him, even if he doesn't entirely understand what's going on. He just goes flying on the back of this big fuzzy thing through a beautiful landscape where no one is abandoning him. Jun-ho doesn't believe him; would you? But Namoo is happier there than he's ever been anywhere else.

His grandmother tells him that his mother needs a boyfriend, because his grandmother is going to die and he's going to grow up and move away, and his mother should have someone. And I can accept that. I'm sure Namoo didn't want to think about it that way, but it is a decent point. I've often wondered how different things would be now if my mother had found a boyfriend, whether before or after we left the house. (Well, two of us did.) A lot of kids never quite learn how to think of their parents as people, and it's just as well that Namoo learn that now, because it might come as a horrible shock later. In a way, this is one of those Coming of Age moments, the moment when you realize that your parents' lives do not begin and end with you. Jun-ho's family is sending him off to Seoul because they think it's better for him; arguably, it is. But no one ever asked him. His family needs to learn that he is a person with feelings as well--and he needs to learn to take on his own fate.

I wanted to be more impressed with the art than I was. It was lovely, but it also felt somehow incomplete. It was as if the characters were paper cutouts that had been drawn on. The world Namoo enters was exquisite, but the Real World didn't grab me quite as much. It was kind of like all the vision available for the movie was taken up by its specific unreality, and there was none left for reality. And yet some of the places shown ought to be quite lovely. There's that lighthouse through which Namoo enters his fantastic world. It's on a bit of shore some distance from the city, far enough so that it ought to be really beautiful. But it isn't visually interesting much at all. The art looks better from a distance than up close, not in the way that pointillism, say, does, but because if you're far enough away, you can't see how much it looks like bits of it are missing. It fades into a pleasant blur.

It's true that I've had a busy day, and that may have been part of it. I went to a memorial service and a birthday part both today, and it's my ninth anniversary with Graham. I'm pretty wiped out physically and emotionally. So maybe it was me, but I really had a hard time concentrating on this movie. I wasn't all that interested in the characters or what they were doing. There was this whole big Thing a while ago about how boys won't watch stories about girls, but stories about boys are somehow universal. I do not believe this is true. I will say that I think most of what Namoo is going through is still pretty typical, but I also did not think all of it was very interesting. Again, maybe that was me. But there was nothing about him which grabbed my attention. Honestly, I just found this movie kind of boring, though it was able to distract me at least a little in several places. I liked it just enough to give it a positive review, and I'm wondering how much of that was that it was a story of a pubescent boy that wasn't obsessed with sex. Am I the only person who finds our cultural fascination with that storyline a little creepy?
December 25, 2009
Truthfully, I was lost trying to follow this South Korean important but I suspect it didn’t make that much sense in the original Korean. It seemingly deals with a boy who finds a magic marble (I wonder what that would be worth on Antiques Roadshow?) which grants him entry into a magic realm where the furry Mari flies around on a big…uh dog maybe? The fantasy realm takes Jun-Ho out of his rather poor, rural world where his parent own a fish shop. That’s about it as far as the plot goes but yet the 86 minute running time still crawls on by. Having said all that, it is a beautiful exercise in animation particularly the opening seagull sequence.
September 9, 2005
English:
[i][b]Broken Flowers[/b][/i]...I wanted to like this....I really did. But Writer/Director Jim Jarmusch slightly overestimates how interesting a minimalist Bill Murray performance (ie a constant blank stare) and an anticlimatic story can be. Murray plays a wealthy bachelor who gets unexpected news in the form of an unsigned letter. Apparently he has sired a son but the woman who wrote the letter, a former lover, never told him. That son, the letter tells the hardly moved Murray, is searching for Murray. The movie takes us as Murray goes on his own search to find which of his past lovers sent the letter.

Jarmusch can be thanked for not turning this into farce or melodrama, but the point along the narrative spectrum (between laughs and tears) that he chooses is just too low impact.

Spanish:
[i][b]El Crimen Perfecto[/b][/i]... I recently discovered Alex de la Iglesia at a retrospective on his films. I saw [b][i]The Day of the Beast[/i][/b] and loved his hilarious critique of both the Catholic Church and "alternative" philosophies. So when I saw that his latest was being distributed in the US, I jumped at the opportunity to see another of his rip-roaring satires. I was not disappointed. This film about the perfect crime first shows us an imperfect one: two men who had vied for the same position at a Madrid department store come to blows after one wins and the other loses. The loser accidentally kills the winner and tries to conceal the whole thing. He almost pulls it off, but one of the women who works at the store decides to "help" him. For this ladies man, this wouldn't normally be a problem, but she's not the type of lady he's used to manipulating: she's ugly and she's smart. Iglesia's targets in this anti-romantic comedy (ie a film where the comedy lies in how unromantic their relationship is) are both masculine maschismo and the feminine ideal it perpetuates.

Japanese:
[i][b]A Tree of Palme[/b][/i]...This anime version of Pinocchio (where a puppet wants to be real) is unnecessarily confusing*. It's not set in some small village like the Disney version, but in some complicated science fiction dystopia engulfed in a unexplained conflict that drowns out the beauty of the allegory.

Korean:
[i][b]My Beautiful Girl Mari[/b][/i]...This is I think my first Korean anime (oh yeah) and I was struck by how flat the animation seems compared to Japanese animation. I'm not sure whether this is characteristic of most Korean animation, but I'm not really sure where this is going so I will stop....

The movie is set is a fishing village on the coast and centers on two boys who are best friends. One of them is going off to study in Seoul causing them both some anxiety. The main character, who lost his father in a storm at sea, doesn't take this very well. He seeks an escape and finds it in the mystical conjunction of a special marble and a lighthouse. He is taken, physically or imaginatively for the movie isn't always certain about which, to a plane of clouds and fluffy animals. There he meets Mari, a being of this mystical plane. At first they share curious glances and then something more. Their only teens so their love has a certain innocence.

This is beautiful, albeit flat, movie. The broad vistas and flights through the clouds are richly colored and rendered.