My Boyfriend's Back Reviews

April 20, 2009
I used to get excited as a kid when this would come on tv! LOL
September 5, 2006
What the fuck?
½ February 21, 2009
I thought this was really cool. I thought it was pretty neat. it is a bit dated but other than that it's a great watch.
August 12, 2006
This movie was pretty cheesy. I think Matthew Fox and Philip Seymour Hoffman would save this movie. Yes shockingly, they are in this movie.
February 14, 2010
A very peculiar dark comedy. It's completely off-the-wall, but I did not enjoy the story and I felt it was poorly made. (First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)
August 15, 2009
My Boyfriend's Back is an odd yet fun zombie comedy, with our lead character Johnny coming back from the dead and finally wins the heart of the most beautiful girl in school, whom he's been in love for years. I find it romantic as a moment when Missy sticks to her new boyfriend despite bullies' taunts, small-town prejudice, and Johnny's recent craving for human flesh. And yes, it's hilarious. Directed by Bob Balaban and starring the great performances of Andrew Lowery, Austin Pendleton, and Traci Lind.
½ April 12, 2007
10-12-08 --Horribly bad but so entertaining at the same time. It's funny how it is able to be such a bad movie but yet keep you watching it just to see what else is going to happen. Not to mention the All-star cast (by accident). Matthew Fox, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, even Matthew Maconaghey makes a brief 3 second appearance. Quick synopsis. Boy loves girl. Girl doesn't know boy exists. Boy dies protecting girl. Boy asks girl to prom. Not to mention boy is still dead. Funny.
½ July 15, 2007
Johnny Dingle has had a crush on Missy McCloud ever since they were children. After Missy breaks up with her boyfriend, Johnny and his best friend Eddie hatch a scheme to fake a robbery in the convenience store where she works so that Johnny can then appear and rescue her. However a real robber enters and Johnny is shot in the ensuing chaos. Before he dies, Johnny asks Missy to the prom and she agrees. But that night Johnny gets back up out of the grave. He returns home and attends school the next day as though nothing had happened. However he soon finds that his body parts are starting to fall off. As he determines to complete his dream of taking Missy to the prom, he realizes that the only thing that will hold him together is feasting on human flesh. My Boyfriend's Back is an incredibly silly film. The film?s principal joke is that the hero returning as a zombie is something that is regarded as perfectly normal by most of the people around him. It's a gag that tires fairly quickly, principally because it seems to require that people behave in ways that never coincide with real human behaviour, Johnny's parents store dead bodies in the refrigerator and abduct kids for him to eat, his friends regard the sight of Johnny eating a dead body as quite normal. Some of the would-be black humour scenes, like where Philip Hoffman accidentally hits himself in the head with an axe or a dream scene where Johnny's nose, arms and legs all fall off, flop quite badly. The plot doglegs all over the place, sometimes whipping about so suddenly that the effect is rather one of hysterically hyped silliness. One inventive touch in the movie emphasizes the comic-book quality. Many of the scenes are started with cartoon panels that turn into live-action sequences. Director Bob Balaban has fun blending fantasy, comedy, and parody, and does a surprisingly smooth job of it. If his script had more bite, this could have been a worthwhile film. My Boyfriend's Back is as mindless as a movie can get.
May 8, 2008
This was probably my first dark comedy when I was little, so I didn't really didn't know what to make of it.
But as I got older and saw it, I realized that it was a pretty funny zombie flick that deserved more credit than it got in its initial release.
And don't sleep on the fact that PSH and Matthew McConaughey both make appearances!
½ June 20, 2007
For some reason I always watched this movie as a kid, but never really liked it. Don't understand why I was drawn to it when it was not THAT good of a movie to begin with. Oh well.
June 1, 2007
Any movie where one of your character leads is a dead person (i.e. Weekend at Bernies) things just aren't going to mesh well.
½ April 13, 2007
i thot it was funny the first time i saw it but i think i was young and dumb....i heard it was dumb so maybe i laffed at evrything back then!
½ December 5, 2006
haha my friend and i used to watch this all the time! its probably really cheesy but id like to see this again :P
September 3, 2006
I can't really think of anything to say about this film, other than it went too fast for a lot of the jokes to sink in.
June 26, 2006
You'll have to look for this, but it's great. It was on HBO when we first got satellite in like '99.
July 20, 2014
Amazing movie! Funny, touching, and thoroughly entertaining.
½ April 25, 2013
I don't remember much of this movie because it was a long time ago but I remember it being fun to watch so I gave it two and a half stars based on my memory.
April 21, 2013
A Comedy for everyone.
April 17, 2013
Please make me forget. This is the worst film I have ever had the misfortune to watch. If you have to make a choice between watching this movie and painful dental work, I would suggest the dental work.