My Father, the Hero Reviews

December 22, 2007
My Father The Hero is very funny Movie.
October 25, 2007
January 23, 2007
great movie, funny comedy
½ May 27, 2007
Two words that always strike dread into my heart: "family" and "entertainment". Gerard Depardieu and his cute as pie daughter have heartwarming misadventures while I reach for the sick bucket.
November 9, 2006
It was an okay little movie.
February 12, 2010
Funny and sweet.
½ December 25, 2007
½ September 29, 2007
A past childhood favorite and a guilty pleasure of today.
½ May 26, 2008
I remember liking it when I was 14 and having a big crush on "Nicole", but what I would think of it now...
½ February 4, 2008
Cutie movie that has a sort of weird premise. Katherine Heigl tries to get the guy she likes jealous by pretending her dad is her boyfriend. Ew!
½ May 11, 2007
Pretty funny, but I get tired of the comedies that rely so heavily on a character being misunderstood by the people around them.. Depardieu goes through the movie with everyone around him mistaking him for some sort of pedophile, and that is supposed to be funny....
½ February 15, 2007
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this movie! It cracks me up so much! Katherine Heigl is GORGEOUS both in scrubs and out--Gerard Depardieu is hilarious--Emma Thompson, gorgeous--this movie is hilaroius, about a young girl who wants to grow up too fast and an understanding father who tries to make his daughter happy even though SHE really doesn't even know what she wants! Two very enthusiastic thumbs up and I highly recommend you see this!
½ January 31, 2007
I could stare at Dalton James for a long time. Faith Prince is fucking hilarious. Katherine Heigl has since learned how to act effectively. Gerard Depardieu might be a good actor, but he needs serious help with the use of emphasis in English.
½ December 2, 2006
Wanna know what's creepy? A film where a teenage girl pretends her father is her boyfriend so a teenage boy will get jealous and fall in love with her. A movie penned by Humbert Humbert.
November 30, 2006
This movie came out when I was like 10, but it still is such a great flick to this day, and the guy in it is hot; these were the days before Katherine Heigl made waves on "Roswell" and presently, "Grey's Anatomy". Great funny movie!
½ October 28, 2006
Such a cheesy film. I remember watching this when I was 14 and still thinking it was crap. It destroyed my love of Gerard Depardieu's acting.
½ October 15, 2006
Great romantic love story. This is the first movie me and my husband seen at the theater together. Gerard is great as a father afraid of losing his daughter. He is a delight to watch here. Worth seeing.
July 24, 2006
Gerard Depardieu is a great actor, and a good comedian, this movie is a typical Chick Flick, the guy's cute, the island even better.
½ January 24, 2015
My Father the Hero. Fun fact; this was the first film I walked out of. I am now 33 years old, but I still remember vividly the climax of the movie-long comedic buildup. That scene depicts an audience booing a middle-aged man, whom they suspect to be a pedophile, as he plays the piano and sings a spirited rendition of "Thank Heaven For Little Girls." He isn't, in fact, a pedophile- his young teen daughter simply claimed that they were dating in order to impress an older teen love interest. What hijinks! Imagine the hilarity that ensues! Get it? The father is confused by everyone's booing... but it's really because his daughter told everyone that he was a pedophile! L...O...L. Oh, Depardieu- you're too much.

The scene with the song is made all the more impactful by Gerard's accent. There's something even more unnerving about said situation when you're hearing, "Sank Hayven for Leetle Galez!" I can't explain why. Some things, like the song of the Nightingale or the Golden Ratio, just are.

I have very little opinion regarding a singular line that filmmakers musn't cross as related to cinematic tastefulness, censorship or obscenity. However, even those who don't find the premise of this film as abhorrent as I do will still agree that it may not be the greatest idea to build your PG-rated family comedy around a single-layered incest/pedophilia gag that begs for the drummer to hit the two snares and cymbal. However, the drummer knows better.

Really, the funnier movie would be a film about a studio green-lighting this atrocious offering. Kind of like a molestation-themed version of "The Producers." Or not. Anyway, thanks for reading my first review. And hats off to the "My Father the Hero" team. Well done, fellas. -E
December 26, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.