My Favorite Year Reviews

½ May 16, 2007
Absolutely charming. Peter O'Toole gives a fantastic performance as an Errol Flynn facsimile named Alan Swan.
½ November 22, 2007
A tribute to the golden age of live television. Peter O'Toole plays "Swann", a great drunken washed-up actor. It's got some fun comical scenes.
jjnxn
April 4, 2007
Starts a little slowly but once Peter O'Toole appears sweeps you up and charms you all the way to the can't help but smile conclusion. Look for Gloria Stuart in the cafe scene.
½ February 18, 2008
I love The Sid Caesar Show and Your Show of Shows, the original sketch comedy show, which Carol Burnett and then Saturday Night Live carried on. Those early sketch shows started the careers of many famous writers and comedians. Mel Brooks was one, and this movie is based on a story he wrote about his experiences writing in those early days of TV. I had high expectations, but was disappointed. I haven't been a fan of Peter O'Toole just because his performances usually bother me in their delivery. This was no different. Overall, all the other performances and the story just weren't that funny!
May 3, 2010
A delightfully, zany film and one of my personal favorite comedies of all time. A wonderful reminder of the glorious days of live television, the time is 1954 a young writer Benjy Stone, played terrifically by Mark Linn-Baker who works for TV's top show is given the job to chaperoning that week's guest star, a real skirt chaser with a big drinking problem who is notoriously unreliable, Alan Swann a legendary screen swashbuckler played by Peter O' Toole who is absolutely magnificent in comic tour-de-force performance. Stone must make sure that the tipsy Swann shows for rehearsals and the final production. Brilliant supporting performances Jessica Harper, Joseph Bologna, Bill Macy, Lainie Kazan, Anne De Salvo, Lou Jacobi, Apolph, Selma Diamond, Cameron Mitchell, and a smashing directorial debut by Richard Benjamin. Exquisite period detail and a intelligent screenplay, that is full of priceless moments and witty one liners. This is a heartfelt funny movie that works, thanks to the charisma and professionalism of it's star Peter O 'Toole. Highly Recommended.
December 16, 2006
Certainly enjoyable, if unfocused plotwise. O'Toole shines.
moviefan1725
½ December 26, 2009
A really magical little movie that deals with movies, hero worship, and the difficulties of live television in 1954. Peter O'Toole gives an Academy Award nominated performance as Alan Swann, a swashbuckling movie star making an appearance on a telev
½ February 20, 2013
No offense to the rest of the cast, but whenever Peter O'Toole is on screen, the movie is comic gold. Too bad the running time is so short. I would have loved to see more of his character. "I'm not an actor. I'm a movie star!" Classic.

Grade: B+
February 19, 2013
½ August 7, 2012
Peter O'Toole really saves this from being a crappy movie. That Mark Linn-Baker..I mean Larry Appleton sure has some range. One would swear that his mannerisms are a little too similar in dealing with Balki. No wonder the dude had no career. But yeah Peter O'Toole made this.
January 26, 2012
Peter O'Toole carries the whole film, since everyone else completely fails. Yet the film is also aimless and lacks variation and surprise. Watch only if you are a fan of O'Toole. Otherwise, nothing to see here.
June 10, 2011
A TV studio hopes to breathe fresh new life to their comedy show by bringing in a movie star, Alan Swann. But Can Swann sober up to play the part? Peter O' Toole was great, and the true comedy of this film is that which is offstage and unscripted.
May 26, 2010
Excellent Peter O' Toole. The supporting cast and the story work as a vehicle for him to do his thing--and does he ever!
½ May 7, 2008
One of my favorite comedies of all time, right up there with Arthur. Peter O Toole is great here. What a great actor. I love this film.
October 31, 2007
O'Toole is hysterical in this. He said he had a lot of practice being drunk so the part was a breeze.
½ March 18, 2007
I AM A MOVIE STAR, NOT AN ACTOR! Petah in his whimsical best, this one should be re-released so the current generation will enjoy it.
½ January 25, 2007
Peter O'Toole at his best here. Acting like a drunken, silly ass. Like there was much acting involved... lol.
January 4, 2007
Living in a retirement city filled with fast talkin' New York transplants, I really had fun watching this one!
June 25, 2006
O'Toole's warm yet hilarious Oscar-nominated performance elevates this modest-but-fun comedy massively.
½ December 5, 2014
O'Toole's character could very well have been O'Toole himself during the 70's. Decidedly amusing.