• R, 1 hr. 49 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

My First Mister Reviews

Cynthia S

November 9, 2010
Simply stated, this was a wonderful discovery. The movie boasts a cast who played off of each other effortlessly, and believably. It was poignant, and timeless. I loved this movie,
Red L

January 20, 2008
My type of movie - people (in this case a Goth chick and a dress salesman) listening to each other and growing emotionally.
Jason S

September 9, 2007
I little weird. The acting was there but the story was a little slow and off.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

September 23, 2010
This was a story about a lonely and alienated Goth-like teenager named Jennifer Wilson (Leelee Sobieski) who has a lot of personal baggage (and almost unrecognizable under the tattoos, body piercings and a suicidal fetish.) Then she meets a grumpy clothing store owner (Albert Brooks) and little by little, they generate a real friendship. All bodes well for this tale of the unlikely friendship between two very different characters, who manage to connect despite these differences, not the least being the vast age differences (he's 49 and she is 17). They are clearly soul mates but not in the sexual sense (which in hinted at in one hilarious moment when Jennifer asks Randall upfront if he wants to f**k her and he promptly chokes on his Sanka coffee).
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

April 23, 2010
Romantic comedy without the romance (thankfully) as Leelee Sobieski, 17 with purple hair and piercings falls in friendship with 49 year old Albert Brooks and his paunch. First half is quirky and spikey, second half falls into sentimentality and tear-ey eyes but is rescued momentarily by John Goodman playing Leelee's incorrigible over-the-top father as if he'd popped in during a tea-break from a Coen Brothers film.
Wu C

September 18, 2006
I really liked this one when it came out.
February 19, 2012
An unconventional love story, that is both very funny and heartwarming. It's all about the value of family and friendship. I did not expect the climax to drop on me like it did. Reminded me of Ghost World and Harold and Maude.
freelancer903
May 30, 2009
The decent and real selfless love and commitment of an older man transforms a neglected and rebellious teenager into a beautiful, loving young woman.
PillowPantss
January 28, 2009
it's not a gross 'dateline catch a perv' sleazy movie...it's bout real friendship..as odd as it llooks..a teenage punk and a straight laced stiff form a sweeet bond.
Ida K

January 12, 2008
A 17 year old Goth teenager and a 49 year old clothes salesman develop a relationship. I fell asleep during the last half hour of this.
km1320
November 5, 2007
This is a great movie on all levels. It is funny, sad and can even piss you off at times. I love it!!
lavenderfawn
October 9, 2007
I cannot STAND Albert Brooks...he just irritates me! This could have been a better film if he had not starred in it.
October 7, 2007
For the first half hour I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Spent the second half of the film crying like a baby... Really lovely story of growth, change and relationships.
marviene
July 17, 2007
I was a little uncomfortable during the movie...it has a sexual undertone of oldman/teenager that I don't like....but that's my hang up. This was a very good movie.
July 2, 2007
I just loved how the girl just turns around in her life after meeting someone will to teach her how to do so.
April 8, 2007
WOW! Weird, quirky and off to a bad start is only the beginning... but I stuck with it and it got so much better, it was hard for me to believe it was the same story!

AWESOME plotline and ORIGINAL for a change (or so it seemed to me). No, it won't garner any oscars but the acting was GREAT and the cast was nothing to sneeze at either.

I was extremely impressed with this movie and may even buy it so I can watch it again, when I'm feeling like life sucks, doesn't make any sense, and just isn't worth the effort!

My ONLY complaint is over a line near the end and to display it here would be a spoiler but for me, (I'm pretty anal) it was a loose end that they didn't tie up (in least in the version I saw) and those loose ends bother me ~ Other than that, I LOVE IT!!!
isishalo1
March 31, 2007
One of my all time favorites. A little known movie about the people we choose as our family. Absolutely excellent.
March 25, 2007
Oh man I haven't seen this movie in ages! I loved this movie so much. Such an odd flick but so worth the hour and 20 minutes it takes to watch it
fairy53042000
September 28, 2006
This is the kind of touching movie that should be made more often. It makes you think about how wide the generation gap really has to be,or not? You will NOT regrete watching this movie,so please watch it for yourself,& the full enjoyment the story can give you.