My Giant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Giant Reviews

cosmo313
½ November 18, 2013
A year after the mess that was Father's Day Billy Crystal returned with another stinker and, while this one isn't quite as awful, it's still pretty stinkin' bad.

Inspired by his experience meeting Andre the Giant during The Princess Bride, Crystal plays a third rate talent agent struggling to get by. While on assignment in Romania, he gets in a car accident and is saved by a gentle giant named Max who clocks in at nearly 8 feet tall (NBA player Gheorghe Muresan is 7'7").

Seeing a lot of promise in him, Crystal's Sammy tries his best to get Max into the big time, and salvage what's left of his failing career and life.

As you might expect, there's a lot of hurdles to get through, and of course, being a scheming weasel, Sammy has some tough lessons to learn about life and humanity.

This really could have been a sincere, earnest, and good film. Unfortunately it's handled with little subtlety, originality, and nuance, so the end result is really trite, predictable, and cringe worthy.

As a dramedy it's really not all that funny, and the dramatic elements more often than not fall flat and come off as disingenuous and unearned. I'll admit that the Catholic jokes at the monastery and the stuff with Steven Seagal worked and were funny, and I liked a few of the dramatic bits, but overall this was fairly insufferable. I hated the gawking, the obvious routes the film went, and the generally exploitative nature of the proceedings. I felt bad for Muresan, and hope they paid him well for all the stuff done at his expense.

Had there been a stronger script, better execution, and a lot more tact, humanity, and heart, then yeah, maybe I'd be on board here. But instead this is shameful, dull, and has almost nothing worthwhile to offer.
½ May 20, 2011
wane comedy digestible because of the giant, sorta, and a cameo by seagal.
December 21, 2009
"dont ever see this. are we clear?"
"Crystal."
½ January 8, 2007
Good film with a sad ending.
June 6, 2011
a marvolest and hillarious comedy that proves size dosen't matter. A
Naughtia
½ May 15, 2010
This movie was very touching and sweet. Billy Crystal stars as this movie agent who travels to Romania on work errands only to discover that he has been fired from his job. He gets into a car accident and gets pulled out of the vehicle by this giant man. The movie agent desperately wants this giant to come to America and work for him. I liked the story very much and I wouldn definetely not hesitate to watch this movie once more.
mingsysar
August 22, 2006
Inspired by Crystal's experiences with Andre the Giant on The Princess Bride. See that instead.
KeepGuessing
½ April 19, 2008
I'm not quite sure what to say about this film. It wasn't really bad. But it wasn't exactly good either.
½ April 12, 2012
eah after recently thinking about it, I think it's time that my ratings are changed a little so it's not just either 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc and make it so i could also rate the movies as 5, 15, 25, 35, 45, etc. Probably overdue but better late than never. But anyway, here's the first video from the bag which is this drama comedy that was co-written and starred by Billy Crystal: My Giant.

Plot: Sam is an agent who just got fired by his current client who is shooting a film in Romania. While leaving the set he crashed his car and is saved by a 8 foot tall Romanian man named Max. Sam gets the idea to make Max a star, so he convinces the director to cast Max as the villain in the movie. From there, Sam tries to get him more roles and along with it, help Max find his old paramour he had 20 years ago.

Now if you are wondering if this movie is not very creative when it comes to the concept of the story. A) Don't finish reading this review yet if you don't want to know until you've seen it because B) I'm just going to say it for those who don't really care or have already seen this film: yes, it's not a creative concept. Quite honestly, I wasn't very amused very much with a lot of the first...15 minutes give a take of this film because if you've seen enough movies like this film, you know exactly what is going to happen. Also I have to say that it really isn't much of a comedy. Because I heard one or two things that were cute, but that was really it. It mostly stayed a drama. But...when you get to the last 40 ish minutes the drama is a little nice. I mean don't get me wrong, the whole story in general is just plain cheesy, but the drama is still a little...nice. I mean it's still dumb in terms of creativity, but you could be interested in the characters enough to enjoy it anyway.

Actors/Characters:
Billy Crystal/Sam: He was just okay. Like I said, they really do much with the comedy and that pretty much went the exact same way with Billy Crystal in this movie. But his part in the drama later on did make his character a little more interesting or at least more like someone we could care for than being the person he introduced to us in the beginning.
Muresan/Max: He was nice. His character wasn't original, but if you do like a story about a nice giant like Max, he did do well enough that I think you would easily enjoy him.

Music: I didn't really pay attention to the music much. I mean it's a drama/comedy with Billy Crystal, so there really isn't anything that stands out as a score either good or bad for that kind of movie.

Editing: The editing was okay. There were one or two cuts that I didn't really think were necessary, but for the general part, they did good.

And that's my review for My Giant. It's a very cheesy film that while they lack a lot of comedy, the drama in the film no matter how cheesy it is could make it nice enough that you could like anyway.
½ December 2, 2009
Steven Seagal, Billy Crystal, a bunch of monks and a 27 foot tall Shakespeare loving behemoth who barely speaks English. Sounds like a winning formula to me! It's funny, it's sad, it's happy, it's touching. Movies don't have to be original or groundbreaking to be enjoyable.
November 15, 2009
I am one of the very few that liked this movie at all, so it appears. It's not a perfect movie by any means, but I do enjoy Billy Crystal's brand of humor and I thought the film was funny as well as touching. It does have a good meaning behind it all.
August 1, 2009
this movie isnt as bad as you would think, it coulda been alot better, and easily much worse. you dont get as much of a connection or love for the giant as muresan as you do andre the giant in princess bride, but this movie is fine.
terris85017
July 11, 2009
(1998 Director: Michael Lehmann) Delightful movie starring EVEN Steven Seagal...Billy Crystal befriends Romanian "giant" Gheorghe Muresan who saves Billy's life...He even brings him home to family....memorable dinner scene with Aunt Polly ( -Seinfeld) and Mrs. (Everybody Loves Raymond)... LOL!!!
January 3, 2009
Really puts yourself in the shoes of the giant and learn what it might be like if you were born a giant.
½ January 1, 2008
This movie accomplishes what it intended too do: touch your heart with the story of a huge bumbly/stumbly dude who only wants one thing in his life. Crystal does a nice job in his role, playing the part of a self-centered jerk who turns it around for the better by the end.
½ June 6, 2007
Billy Crystal got so tired of being outshined by other actors that he went out and got a 7-foot-6 NBA player with no acting ability to star with. Sadly, the giant almost outacted Crystal. This movie was lame.
½ February 25, 2007
cute movie with george murison( I know the spelling is off) basketball player of washington who played the giant, Billy was good too. cute lost love, kinda movie.
½ January 30, 2007
You could see where it wanted to go, but like many Billy Crystal films of this period, it fell flat.
July 29, 2005
February 29, 2016
love Billy crystal, but this movie is a novelty act and not much more