• R, 1 hr. 46 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

My Life Without Me Reviews

Cynthia S

September 20, 2010
Well done, without being too grim. Slow moving, yet interesting to watch. Just nicely put together enough to tug on the heartstrings. I thought that the ending was very nicely done. No death scene...just images of what was left behind. Nice....
Sajin P

February 24, 2011
You know what to expect when we have a terminally ill female lead.
Thankfully, this did'nt turn out to be the usual tear-jerking melodrama. Emotions were decently real and was well acted throughout.
Luke B

May 26, 2009
Despite being a great film for many reasons, My Life Without Me is one of those films that fails to connect. I don't mind a film being very different, but there still has to be an emotional anchor point. Here we find out that our heroine is dying, a fact she decides to keep from her family. This could work, after all it is kind of sweet sparing them from the pain. It worked in Ikiru, but that was a lonely man not looked fondly upon. He decides to make a good change for others, without any form of reward. In this film, Polley makes selfish decisions to quench her curiosity. Therefor, the best thing she can think of to stick on her "to do list" is "to do" another guy. It's actions like this that distance this film. That aside the acting, music and pacing is all fine. But what's the point if it fails to make you care or feel.
Jennifer X

January 19, 2009
Sarah Polley is one of the most underrated and talented actresses working today, managing to achieve a depth of emotion unheard of in today's pathos-strapped showbiz society. This is painted with a much, much different brush than typical disease-of-the-week movies. Even though Ann has the temperament of a saint Polley fleshes her, humanizes her. There are silences but they never lag. The close-ups are meaningful and the camerawork feels earnest, like it's only there to tell the story and nothing else. It's a soft-spoken work with no huge aspirations, and that's why it works. It's also really quotable. "This is you. Eyes closed, out in the rain."
Fernando Rafael Q

June 7, 2008
This film seems like a 2-hour long close-up from the way it was shot (very "in your face"). Apart from that, the movie works beautifully, especially for its wonderful script. The cast is also applaudable: Sarah Polley, Deborah Harry, Scott Speedman, Amanda Plummer, Leonor Watling, and the amazing Mark Ruffalo. Even the brief appearance by Alfred Molina. A beautiful movie that aims at your heart, not so much your brain.
Pierluigi P

July 6, 2007
mournful but sublime drama told with honesty and delicate romanticism. wisely, never falls in the corny, mellifluous, silly procedure of some similar works.
Wildaly M

May 16, 2007
Heartbreaking. I was moved by this one. I recommend it.
Mark A

November 4, 2010
How would you react if you knew, at the age of 23, that you only had two months to live, at best? That is the premise of this highly emotional story told unflinchingly under the direction of Isabel Coixet. Sarah Polley is Ann, the woman who gets the devastating news, and decides not to tell anyone that she is dying. That might not be your choice, but given the life she has led to this point, the absent father, the chain smoking mother, the life in a trailer with the first man she kissed and two their kids, her choices make a certain kind of sense. It is not as depressing as it sounds. There are several lighter moments that relive the gloom. Most of those involve her co-worker, Laurie (Amanda Plummer), an image obsessed woman who thinks she is fat and everyone else is successfully dieting. Mark Ruffalo plays Lee, the damaged soul who helps Ann to feel fully alive even as she is letting go of the life she has known. The only false note involved an impossible scenario involving conjoined twins, but it is not central to the story and only briefly interrupted the flow. The story transcended the characters' situations and dealt with a universal theme of mortality and discovering what is truly important in life. The economic situation and the educational level of the characters provided a limiting factor, and gave credence to the choices that Ann makes. Each of us, facing the same prospect, might not make those same choices, but that there would be choices to make was the point and the message of the film. So how would you react?
Daniel P

October 17, 2006
Movies dealing with terminal diseases usually come across as "Movie of the Week" dross, manipulating you with icky sentimentality and displaying all the subtlety of whacking you over the head with a large stick. My Life Without Me on the other hand, is subtle, well acted and poignant. Polley is magnificent.
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

May 30, 2009
This film almost tried to be too sentimental, and it worked at the same time. The plot line was predictable as Ann learned she only had a small amount of time left to live, but chose not to tell her husband, the girls or her mom. She made a list of things to be done before she dies,and the list basically served as points for the rest of the plot in the film.

To its credit the film did not go for a dramatic death scene which works for its advantage. Although the film was not anything new or amazingly good it was still enjoyable to watch, I just felt a bit empty when it finish.
Janice :

June 23, 2008
Absolutely amazing, one of the most humane films I have seen in a long while!
Sarah Polley is breath-taking and gives the peformance of a lifetime in this beautiful, beautiful, beautiful film that makes one reflect and ponder upon the meaning of life - and of one's own life as a consequence.
Also, I think it has one of the best opening scenes I have ever seen. Terribly nostalgic and poetic. Will not please everyone but WoW. Took my breath away.

Instant classic.
Adam M

December 8, 2008
Drama with Sarah Polley as a young woman, Ann, who is living a pretty normal life. She has a husband, 2 kids, works nights as a cleaner and lives in a caravan in her mums backyard.Ann just tries her best to get on with life, cruising through the day, until she is diagnosed with cancer and told she only has about a month to live. It's then she realises the type of life shes been living and makes a list of things to do before she dies. It's compelling stuff,at times heart warming AND heart breaking and Sarah Polley puts in a good performance as Ann. One of the main things i liked about this film was that despite the depressing subject matter, it never gets to depressing, it's message being more about living for now and making the most of your time before it's to late.
FanadFilmsProduction
FanadFilmsProduction

December 2, 2007
Sarah Polly is cute, and a decent actress, but she picks BORING films to make.
Krystle C

November 6, 2006
Moving, depressing tale of a woman dying of ovarian cancer who decides to live her last two months out loving the men in her life and her children - without telling her loved ones of her imminent death. The story isn't particularly unique, but Polley is exquisite as the dying woman, supported by a great cast. There are some tender moments and I definitely shed some tears, especially when we see Polley's character recording future birthday messages for her two little daughters. Coixet's handheld cam gives this the feel of an overheard private conversation, and it is an intensely personal film. Some parts feel a bit underdeveloped, but the cast fleshes it out wonderfully, and it is certainly a perfectly moody movie. Almodovar lends his touch as the executive producer. The music is absolutely gorgeous. Worth a second watch.
Laurence C

July 15, 2006
This moving non-tearjerker has a couple of moments of rare humanity that'll touch the viewer and haunt them long after its last minute is over...
Hamee
May 19, 2014
The cast was great, but the movie was so slow that I really had a hard time caring about what was going on.
muveeKween
April 29, 2012
I would see this one again. It wasn't that bad. I liked seeing Mark Ruffalo in this. Definitely watchable.
MichelleasaurusRex
June 24, 2009
Very good. I had no clue that Scott Speedman was in this movie. I think this movie was pretty sad and its enough to put someone into tears also. Powerful movie.
April 21, 2009
tough movie to rate. sarah polley is excellent but her character makes some really selfish and confusing decisions about how to live her final few months after learning she will die. it's sad and touching and provides other emotions depending on whether or not you agree with her actions. it's rare to see a young character deal with death and it leaves an impression.
QueenCityFilms
QueenCityFilms

February 15, 2009
I mean........it was a decent movie. Good script I suppose. I'm just not a big fan of this feelm maker. Wasn't too wild about the cinematography either, 80% of the movie was a shaky closeup...and I hate shit like that. Makes it too day-time soapISH. Blah.