Le Château de Ma Mère (My Mother's Castle) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Château de Ma Mère (My Mother's Castle) Reviews

½ August 24, 2009
From the way the critics talk, you'd think this was some light-weight piece of fluff. It's not. Far from it. I think some critics may be deceived because this seems so much a children's story, but just because the story appears to be told from a child's perspective, does not make it a piece of juvenalia. The narrator is actually a full grown adult ala CInema Paradiso, and the story he tells, while it is perhaps not as powerful as Cinema Paradiso, is definitely powerful enough. This seems to be a cross between a slice-of-life and a coming-of-age film. It is both, but it is also a story of a mother who endures much with no complaint in order for the members of her family to succeed. She truly is their their bedrock, their stable foundation, and she pays the price for this fortitude.
½ November 16, 2010
The second of two remarkable memory-films based on the childhood of the great French writer Marcel Pagnol
June 13, 2011
Part too of a wonderful film.
I always balled like a baby at the end... it might be a sad ending but it is also the real story of Marcel Pagnol.
November 22, 2007
A very good coming of age film. The characters are truly endearing. It took me a few viewings to truly appreciate it though.
August 21, 2007
A very powerful story, and a very gripping character. I loved how the story progressed and the people they met while sneaking through the back gates of all of those big houses. The only thing I didn't like was the ending, and how it all turned out for the entire family, just seemed a little too dry for my taste, but then again... it's a French movie, and they usually end in death.
½ June 3, 2006
These are reviews of movies that I only saw.

The Producers (2005).
I missed the last five minutes, but overall, it was a really funny, enjoyable film. After the first scene, which didn't work for me, it was very easy to get into the movie. Huge kudos to Roger Bart as Carmen Ghia - he stole every scene that he was in. Uma Thurman surprised as Ula and the rest of the cast from Broadway was, of course, good. The cast made this film good, really. It's a shame this didn't make more money at the box office.

My Mother's Castle
This movie wasn't as good as the first movie. I only got to see about 85 minutes of it, but the cinematography was good. The little boy whoo plays Marcel is a really good actor. I'm interested to see if he can play a darker, more sophisticated role (too bad he hasn't acted since). This movie didn't have the energy that the first one had (and the plot wasn't as good, either). Overall, an average French film.

Also, I would like to note that in my English class, we "watched' 2001: A Space Odyssey. We only had three days to do so. My class ended up seeing about 70 minutes of the movie, and it wasn't all in order. I enjoyed what I say, but I was really disappointed with the rest of my class. The film was often referred to as "that movie that makes no sense", retarded, stupid and boring. I don't know - it makes me sad to be a part of this generation. I'm going to rent it and then give it a review.
October 25, 2015
Pure escapism and delightful to boot. The costumes, scenery, set, music lighting are gorgeous and the gentle plot glides like a butter knife. No need for CGI, people going 'OMG' every few seconds, car chases - just a sweet film that cradles you throughout.
½ October 12, 2013
Oddly enough I found this preferable to La Gloire de Mon Pere. It's an impressive feat for a film with, to be honest, not very much plot, to be enjoyable and meaningful nonetheless. The final scene, with the guard's come-uppance from the lock-keepers, is extremely funny.
June 14, 2012
La aussi je sais que ca casse le rythme mais bon... j'aime ces films tres simples et legers et en meme temps porteurs d'emotions
½ November 16, 2010
February 19, 2012
Beautiful scenery.....and French childhood memories. A charming film.
January 21, 2012
Nice nostalgic look at a French family in the early 20th century.
June 19, 2011
This gets high ratings here on Flixter, & it's a period piece, so it's my kinda Flick
½ February 10, 2008
Way better than its prequel... at least I got a more interesting plot to follow. A light-hearted but realistic piece.
June 13, 2011
Part too of a wonderful film.
March 13, 2011
Almost as charming as the first film (My Father's Glory), and with a devastating conclusion to tie the memories together. The passage with Isabelle was not quite of a whole with the rest of the story, but that's the only weak point.
October 8, 2010
A perfect companion to the "The Glory of My Father", and if your really
like Marcel Pagnol...why not add "Fanny", The Baker's Wife, The Well-Diggers Daughter" I can assure you,---your will just heave a big sigh of amazement at the true emotions of the characters. It appeals to the heart more than the brain, a true Mother's Day treat any time of the day!--vil Santos
August 14, 2010
Nice to look at. A little boring at times. Nothing special but better than lots.
April 21, 2010
Love this movie want to see it again ! ;)