Le Château de Ma Mère (My Mother's Castle) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Château de Ma Mère (My Mother's Castle) Reviews

½ August 24, 2009
From the way the critics talk, you'd think this was some light-weight piece of fluff. It's not. Far from it. I think some critics may be deceived because this seems so much a children's story, but just because the story appears to be told from a child's perspective, does not make it a piece of juvenalia. The narrator is actually a full grown adult ala CInema Paradiso, and the story he tells, while it is perhaps not as powerful as Cinema Paradiso, is definitely powerful enough. This seems to be a cross between a slice-of-life and a coming-of-age film. It is both, but it is also a story of a mother who endures much with no complaint in order for the members of her family to succeed. She truly is their their bedrock, their stable foundation, and she pays the price for this fortitude.
August 21, 2007
A very powerful story, and a very gripping character. I loved how the story progressed and the people they met while sneaking through the back gates of all of those big houses. The only thing I didn't like was the ending, and how it all turned out for the entire family, just seemed a little too dry for my taste, but then again... it's a French movie, and they usually end in death.
October 25, 2015
Pure escapism and delightful to boot. The costumes, scenery, set, music lighting are gorgeous and the gentle plot glides like a butter knife. No need for CGI, people going 'OMG' every few seconds, car chases - just a sweet film that cradles you throughout.
½ October 12, 2013
Oddly enough I found this preferable to La Gloire de Mon Pere. It's an impressive feat for a film with, to be honest, not very much plot, to be enjoyable and meaningful nonetheless. The final scene, with the guard's come-uppance from the lock-keepers, is extremely funny.
½ November 16, 2010
The second of two remarkable memory-films based on the childhood of the great French writer Marcel Pagnol
June 13, 2011
Part too of a wonderful film.
I always balled like a baby at the end... it might be a sad ending but it is also the real story of Marcel Pagnol.
February 18, 2010
Thursday, Febraury 18, 2010

(1991) My Mother's Castle

ADVENTURE/ DRAMA (French with english subtitles)

The second of two films starring Marcel Pagnol's autobiographical novels originally released in 1957 about experiences upon growing up while visiting the countryside. All I can say is that this film cannot be watched unless the first film had been looked at first which is called "My Father's Glory". If you enjoy that film may also enjoy this second installment as well.

½ June 3, 2006
These are reviews of movies that I only saw.

The Producers (2005).
I missed the last five minutes, but overall, it was a really funny, enjoyable film. After the first scene, which didn't work for me, it was very easy to get into the movie. Huge kudos to Roger Bart as Carmen Ghia - he stole every scene that he was in. Uma Thurman surprised as Ula and the rest of the cast from Broadway was, of course, good. The cast made this film good, really. It's a shame this didn't make more money at the box office.

My Mother's Castle
This movie wasn't as good as the first movie. I only got to see about 85 minutes of it, but the cinematography was good. The little boy whoo plays Marcel is a really good actor. I'm interested to see if he can play a darker, more sophisticated role (too bad he hasn't acted since). This movie didn't have the energy that the first one had (and the plot wasn't as good, either). Overall, an average French film.

Also, I would like to note that in my English class, we "watched' 2001: A Space Odyssey. We only had three days to do so. My class ended up seeing about 70 minutes of the movie, and it wasn't all in order. I enjoyed what I say, but I was really disappointed with the rest of my class. The film was often referred to as "that movie that makes no sense", retarded, stupid and boring. I don't know - it makes me sad to be a part of this generation. I'm going to rent it and then give it a review.