—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

My Voyage to Italy Reviews

Stefanie C

April 16, 2008
I admire Martin Scorcese's dedication to film and acknowledgement of neo-realism's influence on his work. This review will introduce Italian cinema to a wider audience and increase appreciation even for the most dedicated cinephiles. While Scorcese's discussion covers the neo-realists (Rossellini, De Sica, Visconti, Fellini, Antonioni), it emphasizes Rossellini's work. Granted, Rossellini is the progenitor of the 'movement,' but this tribute spent half of its four hour duration on one director. Personally, I don't see 'Voyage to Italy' as the turning point for new cinematic opportunities. Visconti and Fellini were also pushing the boundaries in their works. Also, Antonioni's early neo-realistic work is not even mentioned. But, this is Scorcese's opinion and view of these milestone films, not mine. The purpose of this documentary is achieved ~ You are seduced and motivated to experience these amazing films in their entirety and form your own opinions.
Michael S

February 28, 2007
Good Doc on the impact of classic Italian cinema.
littlecharmer1959
littlecharmer1959

March 22, 2009
Scorsese presents a fascinating documentary of his personal highlights of Italian cinema. Watching Scorsese talk about the first time he saw these films growing up in New York and the influence they have had on him is a joy. With the depth he goes into about these films and the amount of lengthy clips shown, you can feel his passion for these films and the eagerness he has to share them with today's generation of young film lovers.
A new favourite of mine in the documentary genre, it's made me want to check out more work from the likes of Rossellini, Fellini and Antonioni.
Dracula787
Dracula787

October 4, 2008
This is a four hour documentary in which Martin Scorsese discusses some of his favorite Italian films from the Neo-realist era to the mid sixties. This is meant as a spiritual sequel to A Personal Journey through American Cinema with Martin Scorsese. The format is interesting in that it allows a monolific lens, he?s not declaring that these are the definitive cannon, just that they are the movies that mean something to him. He focuses almost entirely on Rossalini, De sica, Visconti, Fellini, and Antonioni, which helps to keep the whole thing a little more focused than the earlier documentary. This is a good survey of the movies in question, but he does pretty much give away the entire film in his discussion, so it might be better for those who have already seen the movies and want some insight into their meanings.
July 2, 2014
Being a huge fan of Italian cinema and Scorsese this was a film that I really needed to see. It's pretty essential stuff for the movie buff.
mark d.
February 2, 2014
The film is a voyage through Italian cinema history, marking influential films for Scorsese and particularly covering the Italian neorealism period.
March 7, 2013
Simplemente Scorsese sabe como dirigir un documental, aun mas si es de cine!
January 10, 2013
This might become my favourite documentary of all time. I can watch Scorsese talk about his favourite films ALL DAY.
November 14, 2012
Seriously one of the best things Scorsese's ever done. It just doesn't get any credit because it's a documentary about other movies. OH WELL.
January 20, 2011
Have your pen and paper ready, or your computer or whatever, because you're going to want to end up seeing a lot of the movies Scorsese presents here.
September 2, 2012
Una leccion de cine impresionante, 4 horas que se sienten como 40 minutos donde Martin Scorsese te lleva en un viaje intimo e interesante atraves de el cine que lo marca como persona y cineasta. Sin duda una JOYA para todos aquellos que gustamos del cine y en especial si te gusta la grandiosa obra de el mejor de todos Martin Scorsese.
gillianren
April 13, 2012
A Journey of Cinema, Not Flesh

As I've said before, I don't always know what movies are about before I bring them home from the library. Sometimes, it's because they are movies I've heard of long since but never actually knew the plot. Sometimes, as in this case, it's because I looked at the title and was intrigued, sometimes but not always in combination with a name attached to it. I had assumed, not unreasonably, that this would be the story of Martin Scorsese visiting his ancestral home in Sicily, walking the roads his ancestors walked and so forth. And that would have been an extremely interesting story. This, however, is also an interesting story, and it's one not everyone would think to tell. It is a curious fact that, while I don't generally care for Scorsese films, I am still interested in the story of what made him make the kinds of films he makes. The more so because it is a genuine love of quality film, a thing I admire even in directors I don't.

In short, Martin Scorsese is giving us an overview on the history of Italian cinema as it influenced his own filmmaking. It seems that the Scorsese family owned a TV earlier than a lot of other people, and a local New York channel played subtitled Italian movies on Friday nights. Young Marty watched them with his family, and he soaked in their style. This is not, therefore, intended to be any kind of comprehensive overview of the entire history of Italian film. With few exceptions, he is discussing post-war Italian film, Italian Neorealism, essentially ending with Fellini's [i]8 1/2[/i], which came out just about the time young Marty Scorsese was attending film school. But this, too, was a kind of film school for him, not to mention a way of absorbing the culture of his family's homeland. Some of the films are better known than others, but all helped to define the films of Martin Scorsese, and by extension every filmmaker who came after him.

With few exceptions, I can agree with much of what Scorsese has to say about the various films. I respect and admire the quality of his own body of work, even when I don't necessarily like the movies much themselves. I feel much the same about many of the movies he discusses here, though I do quite like a few of them. And certainly, now he comes to mention some of them, I can see their influence on his own film. I approve of film school training, but I think it works best to polish and refine a love and a talent which already exists. The defining characteristic of Martin Scorsese that matters relevant to today's film is that Martin Scorsese has loved film all his life. Yes, he mentions briefly the movies he saw in the theatres at the same time, but Italian cinema combines with Scorsese's connections to family and religion in a way the Hollywood product of his childhood cannot. Italian cinema helped him learn that he could do that, and film school taught him how.

Of course, you have to really care about Scorsese, Italian cinema, or for preference both to get into this movie. It is, after all, just over four hours long. It includes extremely detailed discussions of some of the films--a little too detailed in places; either I'd seen them and gotten bored or else I hadn't seen them and he gave away too much plot. However, every film considered to be an Italian classic of the era gets at least a mention. Scorsese even fills us in on the shocking-for-the-time relationship between Roberto Rossellini and Ingrid Bergman and how it relates to the changes in Rossellini's films. (Bergman, being Swedish, is a bit outside the scope of the documentary.) There is a bit of conversation about how Bergman caused Rossellini to "sell out" in the eyes of other filmmakers and why Scorsese doesn't agree with that assessment. And he dabbles a little in discussion of censorship, both in Italy and in the United States. It's a subject with which Scorsese has at least passing familiarity, after all.

The main place where I disagree with Scorsese is about Fellini. I have decided that, when I get to [i]Nights of Cabiria[/i], I will watch the whole thing and review it so I can get my rant about Fellini out of the way. (I have a lot to say about Fellini.) Therefore, I will not do it here. But I will say that I could write a pretty interesting paper about the evolution of the Guy Movie including some obvious parallels between Scorsese and Fellini. In their treatment of religion and family, yes. In their analysis of authority figures, yes. But particularly in their treatment of women. Oh, Scorsese is better than Fellini by a long shot. But I can't help wondering what it says about everyone concerned that not one of these movies is directed by a woman, that I noticed it, and that Martin Scorsese either did not or did not feel it worth mentioning. True, there are three or four guys who directed most of these movies, three or four leading lights of the Italian Neorealism movement. But these movements are almost all pretty much boys' clubs, and if you notice that, you get accused of being shrill.
Ivan Spain
September 14, 2011
Scorsesse hace un recorrido por las películas que más le impactaron de niño, está bien para conocer un poco de cine italiano pero llega un momento que acabas hasta las pelotas de tanta imagen en blanco y negro y comentarios sobrevalorando una simple escena o secuencia.
di aria
June 29, 2004
if you're a fan of scorsese and the italian cinema then this is the perfect dvd for you...i'm a cinema student at my uni, and after i watched this "love letter" a year ago (yes, i'm always late for great stuff) for the first time on the local tv station i was speechless and regret being a cinema student, it's like falling in love for the first time again to the italian cinema!!...forget paying your thousands of dollars to go to lectures about italian cinemas and sit there in class listening to your professor something telling you of what he think of it, this is "the" scorsese we're talking about!! and he's teaching you about films he loved, and you can watch it at home for god's sake!! and its cheap!!...anyways, from rosselini's "open city" to fellini's "8 1/2", scorsese expresses his love and passion of italian cinema slowy and captivating, he even repeat a scene if he thinks it's necessary, it's so detailed and crystal clear, the way he explains the films to you is like a making a confession to a priest, everything is told, even the secrets, although i never confess since i'm not a christian but still, you get what i mean...anyways, this dvd helps me a lot in a way that first you feel the passion and then you get the information and it all make sense, am i talking crap again?...ok, the point is, if you're a fan of scorsese and the italian cinema and you havent watched it, just buy it now, it's a must!.