The Naked Civil Servant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Naked Civil Servant Reviews

½ September 21, 2007
Along with his portrayal of Joseph Merrick, this is John Hurt's greatest performance. Personally I don't think he's ever been better. I think if you stood them side by side you would have found it difficult to say who was the real Quentin Crisp.
Crisp was the quintessential English eccentric - shunned by general society for his determination to be himself and shunned by the gay society of the time for being 'too homo'!
He was way ahead of his time - pre-empting the likes of Boy George and David Bowie by decades. If someone made him up they wouldn't believe it!
I remember seeing him on Wogan chat show years ago. When this fragile looking, aged queen with a blue rinse, came on and sat down he was greeted with sniggers and nervous giggles in the audience. But he was unfazed - after all he has had this all his life. But he soon had them captivated with his intelligence and wit and left the studio to a respectable applause.
He is still a controversial figure with parts of the gay community - often publicly proclaiming himself a "self loathing homosexual" was not gonna win him many fans. But his bravery and determination to be true to himself against such outrageous hostility and ignorence should be applauded.
I'm not sure why this is in the films list seeing as it was a British TV drama from the 70s but what the Hell! It's still a great story with an eye-popping central performance.
December 1, 2012
Somewhat funny and somewhat sad at the same time. It's a exaggerated portrayal of the LGBT subculture of the 30s in Britain, based on the autobiography of Quentin Crisp. It's not entirely positive on the views of homosexuality as the characters were all stereotypically feminine. John hurt did a great job, but it's just not a film I would regard highly.
October 27, 2009
Pretty fascinating but then again, Quentin Crisp was never boring. Great performance by John Hurt.
DrLappos
July 18, 2009
At a time when homosexuality was about as popular as bing a nazi Mr Crisp went about his life as camply as possible. In the face of overwhelming odds he kept it camp. Hurt is brillaint as the over the top chutney. It does have a serious side and the message is clear.
May 22, 2012
Not That He Could Have Hidden Anyway

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely clear what Quentin Crisp was famous for. For being fabulous, I suppose. I first encountered the name in the liner notes of the Sting album [i]. . . Nothing Like the Sun[/i]. The album came out in 1987, so if my sister (whose copy I borrowed and played constantly) got it new for Christmas, as I remember, I would have been eleven. The song "Englishman in New York," which is the title of the sequel (which, yes, I will get around to; it's available streaming on Netflix and I've been waiting until I did this before I get to it), is about Quentin Crisp, and the liner notes include an amusing [i]bon mot[/i] of his as delivered to Sting. I since read about him, then saw him interviewed, in book and movie of [i]The Celluloid Closet[/i]. He played Queen Elizabeth I in [i]Orlando[/i] and had a cameo in [i]To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar[/i]. And to this day, I cannot tell you why anyone cares.

Still, here he is, played by John Hurt. The movie begins in the 1920s, when young Quentin was trying to figure out who he was and why he simply wasn't interested in sex with girls. He knew he was different, but he didn't have the context to figure out what was different about him. And then one day, he happened to meet a flamboyant and effeminate homosexual man on the streets of London, and suddenly, everything clicked for him. He has a bit of difficulty at first, because he still leads something approaching a normal, respectable British life. But he stops living with his parents (Lloyd Lamble and Joan Ryan) and gets fired from his job--because of the economy, not his sexuality--and moves into a bohemian subculture full of interesting characters. And that's all he really sees them as--characters in his story. And so young Quentin moves from the Roaring Twenties through the grim thirties and into the forties and war, on his way to becoming what he calls "one of the stately homos of England."

Yes, it's true that he expressly states that he is fighting for a cause, though he never quite defines what that cause is. Quentin Crisp was an early proponent of gay rights before the idea that gays should have rights had occurred to much of anyone. In his youth, he came to terms with the fact that he was never going to fool anyone; he admits as much when he goes to enlist in the army during World War II. So if he was going to be visible, he was going to be [i]very[/i] visible; the first thing he did upon the declaration of war was to buy two pounds of henna to keep his hair that gaudy red for the duration. Because you never know. And in fact, the most touching scene in the movie is the one wherein his friends give the judge character references after he has been arrested for solicitation. Over and over, they repeat that they know he's a homosexual, and they still think he's a good person. And mostly, Quentin chose to fight the charges because Lord, someone had to.

Despite being vain and self-centered, Quentin as portrayed by Hurt really is still a good person. For one thing, he is completely honest about things when it's important. He isn't one of those terrible people who tells you exactly what they think at all times because to do otherwise would be to lie to you. Quentin knows that telling you the truth at all times isn't necessary and appreciates the importance of tact. But he also knows that, say, the girl who claims to love him and believes that they can have a platonic relationship which will satisfy them both above romance and sex needs to have that little illusion burst in the gentlest way possible, and that actually involves telling her his own romantic fantasy, making it quite clear that there are no women involved. He doesn't tell "Mr. Pole" (Stanley Lebor) that he's schizophrenic, because there's no point, but he does attempt in a quiet way to make sure everyone else realizes what's going on.

Probably if we hadn't skipped thirty years or so from the end of the war to the year the movie was made, I might know why anyone should know who Quentin Crisp is. Or maybe it's because there's this movie about him. I could look it up, but I almost like it better not knowing. After all, there are some people who just rise into the public consciousness like shapes out of some cultural fog. Quentin Crisp is distinctly more interesting than most of the ones who appear to be showing up these days. Even knowing as little about him as I do, I can say this. After all, Quentin Crisp at least was intelligent, witty, and artistic. He had a legitimate cause to speak out for, and he did so long before it was fashionable to do so. He was exactly the kind of person he wanted to be, not letting public disapproval prevent him from being true to himself. Though at the same time, I think he was generally respectful of people of people who were respectful of him. Gay or straight, there are worse ways to be.
½ October 31, 2009
Wonderful movie! Dry English wit with a perfect side of Snark, sad life with a content ending of empowerment. It makes being a queer in the 21st century seem like such a minor convenience. You don't have to be gay to enjoy this flick. But I'd sure love to see it with a crowd of fags.
October 21, 2009
A very well done and thoughtful autobiography. The pacing was excellent, and John Hurt gives a talented and powerful performance as a gay icon who openly confronted ignorance and xenophobia.
October 27, 2015
Based on the autobiography of Mr. Quentin Crisp, this TV Serial/ film was originally broadcast in 1975 - is still a trailblazing piece of television. Definitely worth a watch, although not for the easily offended. Awe inspiring performance by John Hurt Superb acting. Highly recommended. 5 stars without a doubt.
December 1, 2012
May 22, 2012
Not That He Could Have Hidden Anyway

July 30, 2008
I enjoyed Hurt's performance, which was quite bold looking back at it. I'm not sure the film made the most of the contrast between the comic and the more brutal elements of the story. Still an interesting film.
January 2, 2012
This autobiographical film contains one of John Hurt's greatest ever performances as Quentin Crisp, an intelligent and witty raconteur who happened to be homosexual. Crisp was an extremely flamboyant and camp gay man who lived during the conservative times of the 20's-70's. He faced overwhelming odds and outrageous hostility but his determination and defiance to be himself made him the gay icon and talking point of today.
December 4, 2011
Immensely quotable, disarmingly honest, uncomfortably dark comedy.
June 14, 2011
Surprisingly entertaining. Hurt does a fantastic job as Crisp. If I hadn't seen a documentary about Crisp, I'd think the portrayal was exaggerated, but it's not.
January 29, 2011
A unique individual and a unique insight on the Britain he lived in.
September 5, 2010
pretty sad movie about an effeminate guy that's gay and in the times when being gay wasn't generally accepted. It shows you that it shouldn't matter.
½ August 27, 2010
Randomly found this film on the Netflix instant queue end enjoyed it very much. The acting is excellent, the subject matter is simultaneously funny, inspiring, and heartbreaking. "The Naked Civil Servant" is the story of a man who had the courage to be himself in a society where homosexuality was seen as an unacceptable perversion. Check it out.
June 16, 2010
Excellent production!
I knew John Hurt was a great actor, but watching TNCS I realised he is much better than I thought. Absolute brilliance, his performance is pure gold.
May 5, 2010
I'd intended to see this movie for years and finally had a chance while home sick. I've always been a fan of John Hurt since his performance in The Elephant Man - he may even be better in this film. The movie focuses on the quirky British gay icon Quentin Crisp. Quentin defines the stereotype flaming homosexual and the movie provides a fascinating look at his life - how he never changed for an ignorant society but was always true to himself. I loved how the movie was directed and narrated. Outstanding film!
April 18, 2010
I actually expected it to be a bit more boring. I ended up just being disappointed that it was over so soon.