• R, 1 hr. 25 min.

Nature Calls Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

March 9, 2013
"Manhood. The only badge that matters."

Nature Calls is pretty much what you'd expect. It's a dumb comedy that doesn't really work and tries to push major themes like becoming a man. While it tries, it doesn't succeed. Basically the movie is an hour and fifteen minute exercise in how to not make jokes work. There were a few instances where something was funny, but for the most part jokes come and go without provoking even a chuckle.

Randy is a boy scout leader who is about to take over for his dying father. The scouts is all Randy knows and he loves it. He doesn't like where his troop is headed though. He has a small troop that doesn't even want to be there in the first place. When his camping trip that he had planned goes down the drain after the kids decide to go to a sleepover at Randy's brother, Kirk's house; Randy decides to take the boys and set off into the woods for the camping trip he always wanted. Kirk and some goons are on his trail though.

Patton Oswalt is a perfect actor for a character like this, I just wish the material was better. The movie is too short, poorly written, and horribly directed. With a better story, a better supporting cast, and a new director, this miserable movie could have been saved. As it is though, it's just another example of a failed comedy. Patton does what he can, but he doesn't have the presence to completely save a bad movie like some actors can.
April 10, 2013
Nature Calls is one of the worst movies I've ever seen EVER! The cast was mediocre, the plot was ridiculous, all of the characters are annoying, and there isn't a single humorous scene in the entire film. Don't waste your time.
April 1, 2013
Ultimately a charming story about a man-child trying to cling to the ways of the scout troop that got him through his youth, and the lengths that his brother will go to to try and sabotage this. Johnny Knoxville is a complete prick to his brother Patton Oswalt, which eventually drives him to kidnap the scout troop for actual camping in the woods, as their father envisioned, rather than the sanitized, politically correct version of things that their organization has been forced to concede in a modern society.

Worth a rental.
March 20, 2013
Nature Calls is childish comedy aimed at adults...the two don't mix. The jokes are rather dull unless you like fart and poop jokes yet the subject matter is so mature that kids shouldn't be watching. Oswalt is a hard person to like (though I loved him in King of Queens) due to his political views and his lack of respect for anyone who views things differently than he does. Knoxville has shown he can act bit Nature Calls is a major setback in his career. The kids are actually pretty good actors but whatever parent would have let their kids be a part of this movie needs their heads examined. Other than one or two chuckles Nature Calls is a movie that no one needs to really know anything about.
March 16, 2013
Not surprisingly, this movie is full of crass humor and completely lacks a plot. Despite that I didn't completely hate it, but there was also absolutely nothing about it that stood out and by next week I'll probably have forgotten all about it. It's not funny and almost totally lacks a plot, so I really can't say it's worth watching.
thepersonwhowatchesmovies
November 7, 2012
(It is impossible to write a review for this film without mentioning certain parts of the ending, so a mild spoiler alert is in place)

This has been a particularly difficult review to write, because frankly, I have no real idea how to address this movie. It's completely enigmatic, in that it's never clear whether director Todd Rohal intended his feature to be a pitch black, played straight parody of the 70's styled slob-com, or a horribly misguided attempt to recreate this sub-genre for a present day audience. The plot involves a 40 year old man who remains obsessed with Boy Scouts (Patton Oswalt), who abducts a group of children from a sleepover hosted by his egocentric brother (Johnny Knoxville), and takes them camping in a restricted forest with his dying mute grandfather. Once they arrive at the camp site, he forces the kids to stay with him, and learn about the wilderness and manhood, because no one other than him knows the way home. However, Oswalt is a horrible scout leader; he curses in front of the kids, refuses to acknowledge their requests, and gives them cigarettes on multiple occasions. Meanwhile, Knoxville and two of his somewhat psychotic friends (Rob Riggle and Patrice O'Neal) hope to track down the group for almost the sole purpose of brutally attacking Oswalt in retribution for his crimes. Laughing yet?

While there are admittedly some shoehorned moments of sweetness throughout, upon first glance, it would still be simple to write the feature off as a dispiriting throwback to 70's slob-coms. However, it's the ending is what makes the film such an enigma: The conclusion is so radiantly jubilant and optimistic that to call it a "happy ending" wouldn't do it the least bit of justice. It goes beyond the mere realms of a happy ending into such a blissful state of joyfulness and pleasantness that it can only be compared to the culmination sequence of Martin Scorsese's 1983 classic The King of Comedy. After getting a glimpses into the feature's heart of darkness over the course of its 79 minute runtime, most notably in a tone altering brutal fight between Oswalt and Knoxville, it's beyond bizarre that Rohal would conclude in such a treacly and saccharine manner. This leaves me with three theories about the ending:

1. Oswalt is an unreliable narrator. Because the final moments of the film are described by Oswalt's narration, it could be possible that they are entirely fictional, and only exist within his own disturbed mind. Discovering that you've essentially been abducted by a possible madman could potentially traumatize any child, so the likelihood that the trip impacted their lives for the better seems incredibly miniscule. Also, the thought that the parents would allow him to ride off into the sunset without facing any form of consequence is downright impossible to imagine. If this theory is correct, it would imply that Rohl failed to set up the unreliable narrator well enough within the story.

2. Rohl had no idea what he was doing the entire time. This seems like the least viable option of the three, mostly because of the general acclaim he received for previous films The Catechism Cataclysm and The Guatemalan Handshake. Though I admittedly haven't seen either, both are award winning independents which have gained a minor cult following since their initial release. It's difficult to believe someone with experience, who has also already made two well regarded features, would end a film like this on accident.

3. Rohl was making some sort of meta statement about how movies of this ilk typically end, but the message became muddled due to shoddy editing. In my opinion, this is most likely the correct theory. The change from a somewhat syrupy middle section to brief spout of violent insanity, and then quickly returning to an even sweeter pile of goo has to mean something. However, the purpose of the sugary ending became obscured due to a strange desire to cut the film down to a bare bones 79 minutes.

It's difficult to grade a film I'm not even completely sure I fully understand, but despite some gaping flaws, I'll go with a C. For what some may consider to be a hackneyed riff of the 70s comedies of old, it was surprisingly thought provoking; despite not being mentally stimulating in the way the director probably intended. It's not particularly funny or engaging, but it's an interesting enigma.

Grade: C
March 19, 2012
A dramedy that stumbles, lost, the entire way through the woods.
Patton Oswalt does a good job, but the rest of characters seem undeveloped to no fault of their actors.
The script should have been left in the campfire.
Skip this.
January 13, 2013
A pretty bad & boring film. Kind of shitty when a ''comedy'' doesn't make you laugh once.
May 11, 2014
Very poor movie overall, even with my low expectations this disappointed. Was hopeful that it would be entertaining with both Patton and Knoxville playing roles, but this may of been the worst film of either. Just not a lot of high quality comedy to be found anywhere near this flick.
November 4, 2012
A lot of unfunny parts, but some good stuff. It really captured the frustration of being an adult leader in the Boy Scouts, but had unnecessary inappropriate material that should not be associated with Scouts. Good actors though, and I expected more.
July 3, 2013
Even though Johnny Knoxville is always great in films, this one struggled to be great.
May 25, 2013
Chaotic mess with a few laughs.
April 12, 2013
The lack of an even remotely funny script is pretty glaring, not to mention the fact that this appears to be the same exact script as Bushwhacked, yet it somehow manages to make Bushwhacked look like comedic genius. This is a pretty unfortunate blip on Oswalt's resume, and, if he's going to be the leading man, he's much more suited to dark, twisted humor than stupid comedy like this. David G. Green's involvement is also very questionable, as I'm not sure why he'd lend his name to this piece of garbage in any way.
DC Edmonds
March 25, 2013
"Nature Calls" 10 Scale Rating: 0.5 (Historically Bad) ...

The Good: I typically like this cast. They didn't deliver here, but I do usually like them ...

The Bad: Everything. I'm not sure how this got past the planning stage and while they were filming it they had to know how awful this was. Considering the over the top acting, it is possible that they did realize it and just tried to have fun with it. If Tooth Fairy 2 had never been made, this would have been the worst movie of 2012.
March 17, 2013
Not sure why everyone is hating on this movie. It's really funny.
March 9, 2013
This movie was creepy & so hilarious. I was laughing my ballz off. Patton is my fave now. Move over Seth & the other fat guy, Patton Oswalt is taking over.
bill s.
February 6, 2013
All I kept thinking throughout was lame,lame LAME.
November 16, 2012
sure why i went through this...
November 10, 2012