Nearing Grace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nearing Grace Reviews

½ January 31, 2011
It's easy to call a film cliche, but if that film represents a vision that the filmmaker has always wanted to realize, it's not really fair to dismiss the movie just because someone else got there first. Family dramas often feel the most cliche, because we all live in them everyday. I don't deny that some parts of the film are predictable, but many more are strikingly original and honest - and those are the ones that you'll remember. All of the performances are quite excellent.
½ September 19, 2009
A Some Kind of Wonderful-esque love triangle that doesn't quite resolve as cleanly as you'd expect. Gregory Smith was adorable in Harriet the Spy way back when, but now, he exhibits the puckish naturalism of a young Jean-Pierre Leaud, the smoldering looks of James McAvoy, and the dead-eyed complexity of a hit-not-miss Daniel Radcliffe. The movie is sexy, life-affirming, philosophical, wry - a little bit too ambitious for that matter - but nevertheless, a bittersweet bildungsroman.
August 25, 2006
Very well done.
January 14, 2007
One of the funniest British comedies I've ever seen
½ August 7, 2008
Interesting drama. The best friends [a guy and a girl] secretly in love storyline is old, very predictable but still interesting to watch. Good performances by David Morse and Gregory Smith. Jordan Brewster was good as well, she should get more roles.
February 19, 2010
I liked it! The plot wasnt anything new but I found the characters and the relationships interesting. The weed-dialogs were funny. (And Ashley Johnson's gorgeous!)
½ January 23, 2008
This movie was pretty much Gregory Smith getting stoned a lot. Luckily, he plays a good stoned person. It fails to be profound in that it starts off slow and the ending is really too boring and overplayed that the rest of the film gets lost. I guess it was ok though.
January 12, 2009
**SPOILER ALERT** Predictable, in a "happy ending" sort of way. Regardless, I kinda liked it. Typically styled teen movie, at least I think so.
½ May 11, 2008
This is a really nice movie. It did not look like it was during the 1970's, everything looked new. I think that girl is a whore but oh well. This was a good movie. Gregory Smith is awesome.
October 2, 2006
good movie!

I liked this movie even with it's flaws. It's done well and the acting is pretty good. The biggest problem this film has is that its very cliche. The smart dorky guy with a life long friend who's in love with him, yet he loves the hot distant girl who just gives him enough to string him along.
½ December 15, 2010
Didn't think I would like this at all. In fact the only reason I even took a glimpse at it was because of the aspect of "eye candy" (Jordana Brewster). As cheesy and over dramatic as the protagonist is written, there are multiple moments in the movie that gets you to reflect on your own memories.
October 21, 2007
I like Nearing Grace, saw it in theatres and heard it is out on DVD soon - very brainy smart and entertaining movie. Great soundtrack that takes you back to high school days (early 80's yeah!). Don't think I'd go back to white zin to enjoy with this film tho' - but certainly a bottle of an excellent burgundy would made great company to seeing this film on DVD....

The grape speaks....
October 10, 2007
This is a small film, but it's well acted one. It can be slow moving, but overall it's a good drama and for the most part it is interesting. It's nothing exceptional, but has enough good about it to work as a film.