Neighbors Reviews

September 3, 2010
Pretty funny Keaton film.
½ October 17, 2011
The racist humor (Keaton gets mud on his face and is mistaken for a black man) is funny for the wrong reason, but you'll laugh all the same. And the acrobatic gags involving Keaton standing on others' shoulders are wonderful.
September 18, 2011
Definitely not the best of the shorts in the Keaton collection "Neighbors" at 19 minutes in length still lags a little bit at times as there is too much time between gags. This isn't to say the film is bad by any means, it's rather quite good and way better than most other comedies, especially what passes today for comedy. The film is a take on Romeo and Juliet but set in a regular neighborhood with Keaton's real life father as his father and Joe Roberts as his girl's (played by Virginia Fox) father. Probably the most entertaining scene is where the three men with Keaton on top stand on one another in order to reach the top floor where Keaton's girl is. While not the best, any Keaton is good Keaton and it's certainly worth anyone to give it the few minutes it deserves.
½ October 16, 2012
Buster Keaton was an amazing comedian and director and Neighbors is just another example of how great his physical comedy was. The gags come fast and furious and the charming Keaton does it in a way that is offensive yet endearing enough to walk on thin ice without breaking through.
½ April 1, 2011
This is not one of Buster Keaton's best shorts. There's far too long in between gags, and you can't really afford that when your movie's short to begin with. Add to that the fact that there weren't any spectacularly funny scenes, and what you have is something very disappointing.
½ October 27, 2014
Not a top notch Keaton short as it drags a little at times, but it has lots of good stunt work and a pointed black-face gag about race and the police (unfortunately contrasted with a possibly racist ghost gag, though Keaton might have done the same gag with a white or Asian family and just happened to do it with a black family - hard to know).
January 29, 2014
I loved just the situation here with the three story windows and the fence. So many possibilities to play and Keaton used them well.
January 23, 2014
Crazy entertaining and hilarious for just a few minutes.
June 17, 2012
Great film! Kept me laughing throughout the film. I was amazed at the stuntwork on that film! I'd definitely recommend this film to others. I think this was my first Buster Keaton film. I have another director to add to my list of favorites.
½ January 17, 2012
A decent short film, but not one of Buster's better works. The story seems rushed and choppy but there is still entertainment to be found, especially in the walking scene with people stacked shoulders to feet.
September 18, 2011